Skier stranded on Gore Mountain's chairlift last night [discussions merged]

Comments

• Also a article on that link about a 22 year old who died at Whiteface last weekend. He hit a tree on Lower Northway.
  • edited April 7
    Rule of thumb: never load a lift unless you see a lifty, and he/she is standing at the load line (exception HSQs when soemtimes they are never at the load line).  I wait the 5 seconds for them to walk out of their hut before I pass the wait line.
  • There's gotta be more to the story. Usually they're pretty good at clearing the lines. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited April 7

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

Article

The paper made a mistake at one point in the article and stated he was on High Peaks Double, but it was in fact the North Quad. pretty sure the North Quad was closed on 4/1 but was running early AM, maybe because of this.

Ski it or die trying
  • Interesting!  thanks for posting the link

• Brings up a number of questions. Did they discover him on the stopped chair in the morning or when they started it up so he was first off? Did he leaves his skis/board on all nite? Was he surrounded by wolves?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • At least the lift didn't transport him to Sacramento.
  • ski_it said:

Brings up a number of questions. Did they discover him on the stopped chair in the morning or when they started it up so he was first off? Did he leaves his skis/board on all nite? Was he surrounded by wolves?

thanks yes, stumbled on this post first.  Yeah something doesn't add up, but who knows.   One thing we know for sure:  weird stuff happens in northern New York 

• There is a lot of skepticism surrounding this.
  • Harvey said:

There is a lot of skepticism surrounding this.

No doubt--- he didn't scream his fool head off, call someone on a cell phone, and a groomer didn't see him either? I don't know Gore at all but do they groom there a lot? If that trail was groomed the night before and he didn't throw a poke or a ski at the groomer then I'm ready to call BS. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • The comments in This Article suggests it was an April Fools prank. If true, why did it go to the authorities?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • If it is a prank then the prankster should be banned from working in the industry for a long time. Stupid human tricks like this really aren't funny. 
    Greg Stump
  • Why? Trying to claim damages? Looking for headlines? Stupid April Fool's trick...
  • Great, now if we could get to the bottom of the Whiteface incident we'd be all set.
  • It sounds like we aren’t at the bottom of this one yet. Yes He was charged with making a false statement but they won’t say what part of his statement is false. Also says he was a former employee. How former? Was it an inside job to get money? Did he climb onto the lift after hours? I gots to knows.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Interesting...
  • ski_it said:

It sounds like we aren’t at the bottom of this one yet. Yes He was charged with making a false statement but they won’t say what part of his statement is false. Also says he was a former employee. How former? Was it an inside job to get money? Did he climb onto the lift after hours? I gots to knows.

+1!!!

can't believe it was just an April fool's gag.  if it were, you'd have to be a real moron to go to the point of making a sworn statement about it.

wonder if he was in cahoots with an employee, who then folded during an interrogation