Sugarbush, April 7th

bmwskierbmwskier expert
edited April 8 in Trip Reports Posts: 525
So, I started off the day with high hopes of sun, but that faded quickly. The wind was whipping pretty hard when I rode Bravo for trail checks--- right in the teeth as I was getting off of the chair. Fortunately, I wasn't stationed there because Bravo spins until five now-- makes for a long day. Conditions were windblown, but other patrollers reported remarkably good stashes on the Mall and in Domino, where the wind had taken all of the other snow. 

I headed over to Gate House and North Lynx. Spring was starting to show at the bottom as it was corning up by 11-- a definite change in conditions from the top of North Lynx. I managed to make a pilgrimage over to Castle Rock for one run. I'd never been down Middle Earth before so that is where I headed. 

Not surprisingly it was pretty hard packed though there was more than enough snow in between the bumps to make it fairly enjoyable and a good reminder that pre-conditioning is always wise at my age. My colleagues had placed an amusing sign above a flowing water feature (see photos) to remind people that yes, indeed, it was spring. 

While I was working my way down, pond skimming was going on. We have places for 120 people to brave the elements and sure enough, 120 brave souls showed up to give it a go. I met several folks who had made it across without getting wet. Bravo to them as it wasn't exactly beach weather. 

Also, going on at the same time, a local bear family had decided to make an appearance on the Gate House side, so several of us were dispatched to protect the bears from the skiers. A momma and two cubs ambling around. All I saw was a black lump in the woods. Not exactly Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom going on. Hopefully they'll stick to the woods and not venture out anymore. Once the skiers go, it's pretty much their mountain. 

imageimage
"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
Greg Stump
100_0100.jpg
1280 x 960 - 129K
100_0109.jpg
1280 x 960 - 219K
100_0113.jpg
1280 x 960 - 148K
100_0118.jpg
1280 x 960 - 192K

Comments

Looks like you got the short end of the stick as far as today's conditions went. At least there's a lot of snow left.
    - Sam
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert

Looks like you got the short end of the stick as far as today's conditions went. At least there's a lot of snow left.

It wasn't that bad at all. The photos don't do the snow pack justice. Castlerock under the chair was closed in places but Middle Earth still had decent coverage all the way down and virtually no bare spots on Birch, Hotshot, Sleeper, Murphy's and the rest of the snowgun trails. Coverage is actually pretty good and it's holding. Not sure what the 50 degrees will do for it at the end of the week but I think we're good till May. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Thanks for pictured report , looks steep , been 40 yrs since I was at Castlerock
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Still the most memorable run of my 50+ years of skiing: 2-ft of Champagne powder.  It was 1975.  I arrived at the top of Castlerock just as the patrolman dropped the rope on Rumble.  In retrospect, I suspect he was pissed that I beat him to it!
    I'll be at Sugarbush on Thursday
    - Sam
    D'oh! I'm leaving for Buffalo at zero dark thirty and won't be back until Friday night. Will be there Saturday though. 
    Greg Stump
  • skirickskirick intermediate

Still the most memorable run of my 50+ years of skiing: 2-ft of Champagne powder.  It was 1975.  I arrived at the top of Castlerock just as the patrolman dropped the rope on Rumble.  In retrospect, I suspect he was pissed that I beat him to it!

Some of my most favorite trails in the northeast are on Castle Rock. Skied Rumble three weeks ago when I was there. Loved it but I don't have the energy to ski it like in my younger years without rest stops.
    Rumor has it we're grooming Castlerock in time for the weekend. And we got 5" last night at the top stake. 

Greg Stump
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Winter ain't over. I've probably said that a dozen times or so. It was flurrying up here in Burlington and heard Jay got a foot.
    Unfortunately, I have to take the studs off of the skimobile as they're banned in Ontario. 

Go, Jay Peak! 

Greg Stump
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    mtsnow123 said:

Winter ain't over. I've probably said that a dozen times or so. It was flurrying up here in Burlington and heard Jay got a foot.

Huh, snow report says 2", 7 in past week: https://jaypeakresort.com/skiing-riding/weather-operations/weather-report

Still pretty amazing that so much open this late. Sugarbush will be the place to be on the weekend. Finally a sunny weekend and plenty of snow!
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Yeah, above 40 and sunny with good snow. Long time coming. 
    I'll be there Saturday-- probably at Heaven's Gate-- in my dreams would I be at Castlerock. 

Greg Stump