Belleayre - Killington - Pico Weekend Trip Report

rickbolgerrickbolger expert
edited April 9 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,322
Departed northern New Jersey 7:30 AM Friday for season finale with JMaul and Trackbiker.  

Snow started falling as we gained elevation in the Catskills, and Belleayre was quickly getting a blanket of powder on what would have been a much less desirable surface.   After a couple of runs it was snowing harder and faster, and within an hour we were getting some float.  It was great.  Peekamoose, Upper Somethingororther and lower Yahoo were favorites.

Incidentally, we tested Tomahawk Chair vs. skiing down and lapping the new gondola.  Even with a fairly aggressive run over the bridge and on down lower Deer Run, Jeff beat us to the top.   In fact he had to watch seven cabins unload before we got there.  Neither of us had a line at the lift, so I think it's a pretty good indicator and answers the question "which one will get me more vertical" since the new lower part of Deer Run has a vertical drop of about fifteen feet.  OK I exaggerate, but not by much.

Below:  Looking up Belleayre Run on the chair that isn't Tomahawk.  Friday, April 6image

Next day we went to Kmart and the conditions were fabulous.  I personally enjoyed the snow on Rams Head.  Trackbiker and JMaul abandoned me after lunch and skied over to Bear Peak.  I drove over in Jeff's truck, so if anybody got any dents in the Rams Head or Bear Mountain parking lots on Saturday, I apologize.

At Bear Peak we enjoyed the Mogul Challenge with 10,000 of our closest friends.  Photo below...

you can't really see the crowd in the photo above.  It was a zoo.  Enjoyed the show and the banter from the announcers.

From there we went to Long Trail Brewery in Bridgewater.  I didn't take any photos there.

Later that evening we tried to ski at our lodging facility and nobody got hurt. 

Sunday (yesterday) we went to Pico, the snow was mostly really good except Upper Ka.  We didn't do the trail under the upper lift or the other ungroomed trail,  Giant something.  They looked even less pleasant than Upper Ka.

Mid Ka was great, my favorite run.  Birch Glade was also mid-winter conditions.  Other trails were in great shape too.  They also have a small, semi-maintained ski museum on the top floor of the lodge.  It's fun to look around, and you get the distinct impression that if this were a busier place and they had a use for the room they would probably toss all the stuff in a dumpster.

My first time skiing Pico.   Didn't take any photos.

belleayreapril2018.jpg
720 x 471 - 187K
bearmountainmogulchallenge.jpg
720 x 805 - 462K

Comments

It was a great weekend for skiing. I never got to Pico this winter, but it is a fun mountain.
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Sounds like the usual hoot.

Thanks for the report
  • trackbikertrackbiker advanced
    edited April 10 Posts: 139

I thought the black Heads in this photo at the Pico museum might have been cisco's but
    1. They were too short
    2. They had some else's name on them.

No error message but the photo didn't post.
    IMG_3512.JPG
    306 x 408 - 94K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Superstar...

Trackbiker enjoying the mid-winter conditions...

Empty on Needles Eye. Skyeship was walk on.

10,000 close friends at Bear Mtn......

Run of the day at Pico for me was Sunset 71....

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    20180407_134656.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 544K
    20180407_135705.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 385K
    20180407_140212.jpg
    966 x 1288 - 555K
    20180407_142043.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 400K
    20180407_144856.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 485K
    20180408_145332.jpg
    966 x 1288 - 290K
    Great additional pictures from the Jersey boys and track biker of PA, wish I could venture out with you boys that is if Jay malls wife would approve of it
    edited April 11 Posts: 2,245
    By the way Jay Jeff and track as Rick knows Ciscokid will be appearing in New Jersey the weekend of April 27 and 28th for a brief visit. If you would all like a get together for a quick beer somewhere in the Sparta area Friday night the 27th or Saturday night 28th let's do it. I need to meet this famous J mall a fellow New Jersey man of what I once was.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Sunset 71 is one terrific trail, for sure.

What was the excavator doing on Superstar?

Excavator? :-/
    - Sam
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

Sorry- the jumps looked like the arm of an excavator. Zoomed in to see it is just an illusion. Sorry...

Sorry- the jumps looked like the arm of an excavator. Zoomed in to see it is just an illusion. Sorry...

I can see that when I glance at it ;))
    - Sam
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    ciscokid said:

By the way Jay Jeff and track as Rick knows Ciscokid will be appearing in New Jersey the weekend of April 27 and 28th for a brief visit. If you would all like a get together for a quick beer somewhere in the Sparta area Friday night the 27th or Saturday night 28th let's do it. I need to meet this famous J mall a fellow New Jersey man of what I once was.

I may be camping that weekend. If not, I will see about making it up there.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    JMaul said:

ciscokid said:

I may be camping that weekend. If not, I will see about making it up there.
    I may be able to make it as well.