Michigan Challenge to see who will stay open longer

https://www.facebook.com/mountbohemia/posts/2173955202891658
Boyne has made a challenge to any Mi ski area to see who will be open the latest. Mt Bohemia accepted the challenge. The loser has to donate a $1,000 to the winners choice of a charity. So it’s a win win

Comments

• edited April 12
    Hey that's pretty cool.  I wonder what kind of shape Brule is in this year, they once went to mid May and they're small enough that it could be easier to maintain a slope.  Boyne still has a LOT of snow!    Kudos to them for doing this

• I love Mt Bohemia's post calling out that they don't have snowmaking, whereas Boyne, well we know what Boyne has some patents on.
  • I think might be able to go longer because they have a groomer and can push snow around to cover up thin spots. Bohemia has lots of snow but no groomer
  • Brule is scheduled to be opened through 4/22. They did not accept the challenge?

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• sugarloaf said:

Brule is scheduled to be opened through 4/22. They did not accept the challenge?

As far as I know only Bohemia accepted
  • Big storm headed to UP. Should help Bohemia
  • Boyne is forecasted for 9”13” of snow. Not the 2 feet that Bohemia is excepting. It will be interesting to watch and see
  • Big storm headed to UP. Should help Bohemia

Big storm headed to UP. Should help Bohemia

Interesting to see who wins

http://www.mtbohemia.com/-conditions/

Boyne mtn Thurs 4/12/18image
    IMG_4543.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 671K
  • Bohemia open and reporting over 14 inches, as of 4/16
  • Boyne webcams are on YouTube and it's looks like they got at least 6". You could mistaken April 16th for March 16th.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Boyne reporting 23” this morning and another 5” today. They will reopen for the weekend
  • Looks like Boyne wins with skiing this weekend while Mt Bohemia is now closed.

• edited May 2
    sugarloaf said:

Looks like Boyne wins with skiing this weekend while Mt Bohemia is now closed.

sugarloaf said:

Looks like Boyne wins with skiing this weekend while Mt Bohemia is now closed.

Snowmaking vs no snowmaking, fair?

Cool pic ted sent me

Ibrake4tbars notice the Hemlock chair, our favorite
    IMG_4654.JPG
    575 x 1024 - 145K
  • Wow, they cut down a lot of trees.
  • I didn't say the winner was fair or not, just who won. Obviously snowmaking terrain will last longer.

• jaytrem said:

Wow, they cut down a lot of trees.

Yeah, it just looks like an angled field now. Kind of ugly.
  • sugarloaf said:

I didn't say the winner was fair or not, just who won. Obviously snowmaking terrain will last longer.

Not to mention having a groomer to push snow around
  • Obviously not meant to be offensive in any manner, just my bluntness here online.

Cool that they at least both made May, and thanks for taking interest( or at least looking at Ted's thread)
  • edited May 5
    Discussion on nyskiblog

http://nyskiblog.com/forums/