Whiteface Upgrades

TomWhiteTomWhite expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 579

I’ve not skied at Whiteface, but I’ll give some summary
details from the pdf (link below). Three alpine lifts will be replaced, all to
quads: Bunny Hutch (FGQ), Freeway (HSQ), Bear (FGQ). There appears to be two
transfer lifts planned. One will go between the beginners’ area and the base lodge.
The other between a lower parking lot to the base lodge. The Mid Station Lodge
will be replaced. Snowmaking upgrades will include a new pond near the base lodge
and pumping improvements. Much trail widening and a few new trails are planned.

2017 Amendment to the 2004 Whiteface Mountain Unit
Management Plan  and Draft Generic
Environmental Impact Statement

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/poststar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/01/801e0a59-27da-56b6-a5bd-9440d1e7d33b/5ad0d26ba0dd6.pdf.pdf

Comments

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    I believe the transfer lift between beginner area and main mountain is a much needed lift. The other two I really dont see the need for them but the state is in a big spending spree for tourism.
    ~Rich~
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    Sounds like a waste of money, especially for how many people whiteface sees per season. Funds would likely be better spent doing lift upgrades at gore.
     Freeway is a seldom used lift because of the terrain it services and bear lift never has a line. Bunny hutch at the beginners area would likely benefit from a quad, and the mid lodge needs to be bigger although i do still like the current one. A transfer lift would also mean more people parking over on the beginner mountain which is typically locals park to avoid tourists on crowded holiday weeks. 
    The terrain to get back and forth between the two areas are short and easy anyway, so I dont see a reason for a transfer lift.
    Ski it or die trying
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced

Sounds like a waste of money, especially for how many people whiteface sees per season. Funds would likely be better spent doing lift upgrades at gore.

Freeway is a seldom used lift because of the terrain it services and bear lift never has a line. Bunny hutch at the beginners area would likely benefit from a quad, and the mid lodge needs to be bigger although i do still like the current one. A transfer lift would also mean more people parking over on the beginner mountain which is typically locals park to avoid tourists on crowded holiday weeks. 
    The terrain to get back and forth between the two areas are short and easy anyway, so I dont see a reason for a transfer lift.
    ORDA/ Lake Placid ORDA directors are desperate to tap into the intermediate market. They will do anything to make sure Lake Placid beds stay full. They know that Gore has more appeal to the masses with its huge intermediate terrain, yet they continue to ignore the ad budget for Gore. Gore is about an hour closer to NYC metro, yet there are never individual ads for Gore. There are individual ads for Whiteface/Lake Placid in the NYC metro. This has been going on since ORDA took over Gore in the 1980s.