skier days

ADKskierADKskier advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 319
alright me ladies and gents. How much did you guys get out this year.

Only twice for me
~Rich~

Comments

• drsmoothdrsmooth novice
    Still working on it. Provided Holiday Valley, or Bristol are Still open tomorrow and Sunday.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Downhill 28 times, xc 9 times, snowshoed 5. It was/is a fantastic season! 8 new downhill areas and 3 new xc areas.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Riverc0il always razzes me for being too early in rating the ski season.  With Killington aspiring to a June 3 closing, this thread seems premature! I'm at 125  and anticipate another 10 days before I call it a season.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    I'm at 18 days and aiming for 21.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I'm at 41. And no stopping in my near future. Stowe today and tomorrow. Some hiking midweek this week and mount snow next weekend. I will probably get a few days at Sugarbush as they stay open through early May and the typical memorial day weekend visit to Killington.
    I am currently at 75, but I still have a few more trips planned.
    - Sam
  • skizillaskizilla novice
    10 maybe one more depending on what this storm does
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Wow some big numbers, congrats. 37 here, which is a record for me so pretty happy given the situation (I live on Long Island and have a full time NYC job). We were actually up in VT even more than my ski days show, but missed a number of days due to bad weather and college visits. I am fully done - time for the beach and surf, which officially started yesterday!
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    Less than stellar season in the Rockies. First day out was January 16. Got in 10 days plus 2 days teaching my 4 year old Granddaughter about the joy of skiing!
    Low score for me- I shoot for 20-25.
  • 4aprice4aprice advanced
    Disppointment is all I can say about my numbers.  40 is the goal every season, that way my cost per day is a reasonable $30.00.  3rd year in a row, won't get there.  Not as bad as 2 years ago (20), not as good as last year (38 still below goal) I sit at 31 with 2 more possibles on the docket (next weekend K) .

Has been a season of "disappointment", some natural, some self inflicted.  The snow amounts were generally good, and the cold allowed for great snow making.  Camelback was open from Dec 9 through April 8th, (and could probably have gone two more weeks) a solid 4 months. Unfortunately, the timing of the systems coming through was just awful.  Right up to this past weekend, I must have cancelled at minimum 5 weekend trips along with several solo days at Camelback. Of course with my luck this year, when it did snow in March I was out west.  (not crying as I would not change that, just pointing out the luck factor) .  

The lack of a true, bluebird spring weekend is a disappointment too, but I get one more shot at that next weekend.

If I had to do it all over I think I would have tried to outlast the cold in the early season a little more. December is a tough month for me till Christmas, but we did New Years and it was cold but we also survived. Should have done a little more holiday skiing and the weekend after New Years which we blew off because of the cold.  Should have done some more weekday afternoons at CBK as well.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• TreillyTreilly advanced
    16 days which is a good number for me
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    51. Hoping for 52 a week from today when I get back from Florida later this week, then maybe 53 memorial day weekend hiking Mount Snow's peace pipe jam
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    edited April 15 Posts: 379

• pagamonypagamony advanced
    2 !
  • newmannewman advanced
    3 great days for me in MN at Spirit
    Mt and Listen. Not like the days of old when I was on snow everyday skiing it or working on a hill.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    newman said:

3 great days for me in MN at Spirit
    Mt and Listen. Not like the days of old when I was on snow everyday skiing it or working on a hill.

No pictured reports Newman?Would love to see some from e Lutsen. Was glad I stopped by Spirit last fall, looks fun.Wow I'm way off again, I thought you were from NJ.

Only 11 days here including New Year's Day tubing. About avg, biggest disappointment, no Upper Pen trip but got to ski with Ibrake4tbars and Conrad and a good year skiing my new ski info go to buddy 'ol Ted Reilly who just celebrated a birthday. I'd rate it at least an 8 out of 10.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Cisco, I grew up in NJ. I'm in FL now. I got to ski in MN because I met up with a friend who lives there. The last time I skied was 5 years ago in NH. He came to visit me while I worked at Ski Ward MA. I hope your trip to Sparta is great. I lived and worked at HVNJ for four years. I loved Sussex County. I spent plenty of time at The George Inn.
    newman said:

Cisco, I grew up in NJ. I'm in FL now. I got to ski in MN because I met up with a friend who lives there. The last time I skied was 5 years ago in NH. He came to visit me while I worked at Ski Ward MA. I hope your trip to Sparta is great. I lived and worked at HVNJ for four years. I loved Sussex County. I spent plenty of time at The George Inn.

Thanks for the update Newman, I think of Seinfeld every time I see your handle!

I'll throw a shot of some Spirit here
    Any belated trip report from Lutsen Newman? Looked like a neat area when I took the "Loon" gondy there a few years backimage
    IMG_4551.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 1016K
  • newmannewman advanced
    edited April 16 Posts: 421
    The Loon gondi was replaced a few years ago with a nice new Dopp. The older chairs out there don't have safety bar like those in MI. It was not comfortable for me, I have to admit.
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    50 and my final day this coming wknd at Wildcat will make 51. Same exact # as last year.
  • yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    I ended with 37.  Was hoping for 40 but couldn't get there. In my mind memory bank, it felt like I skied a ton of runs.  I tried to make the most of each one of my ski days.  Good season for me.  I'm happy about it.  Most likely done - no more days planned.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I am currently at 56 days.  With a break in the weather I should hopefully  reach about 62 before Mt Snow and Wildcat close for the season, if the snow lasts.  Then it's 4-5 days on Superstar if my time off coincides with spring sun and warmth. I'm at less than $6 per day on my Peak pass with 50 days in, including 4 last spring, for $299.  Hard to beat that value!
  • newmannewman advanced
    Chuckstah said:

I'm at less than $6 per day on my Peak pass with 50 days in, including 4 last spring, for $299.  Hard to beat that value!

True Dat!
  • hrstrat57hrstrat57 intermediate
    21 great days....goal was 30

life got in the way 
    newman said:

The Loon gondi was replaced a few years ago with a nice new Dopp. The older chairs out there don't have safety bar like those in MI. It was not comfortable for me, I have to admit.

Very few chairs in lower peninsula w safety bars, not used much if there are any , lift rides are short relatively speaking. I guess obviously not a law at least on in the older ones. ( which are what most lifts are here)
    I for one rarely use them because of height, GoPro, leg length etc. Even the new Dopp triple at Caberfae I rarely use.

Now when I get my granddaughter on her first lift in a year or two that will be reevaluated although grampa's arm acts as a safety bar
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    Please use a safety bar everyone! I've treated many people who have not used them and then had to be backboarded with compression fractures when an inadvertent move sent them sliding out without warning. 

That's scary that such a thing would be grandfathered. OSHA even says that workers working about a certain height have to wear a harness. The public doesn't matter? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited April 17 Posts: 2,349
    bmwskier said:

Please use a safety bar everyone! I've treated many people who have not used them and then had to be backboarded with compression fractures when an inadvertent move sent them sliding out without warning. 

That's scary that such a thing would be grandfathered. OSHA even says that workers working about a certain height have to wear a harness. The public doesn't matter? 

That's an interesting point. I believe that height for OSHA is 6', which every chairlift exceeds.
    - Sam
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    I think I am at 21. About my average.

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    37. Still have thoughts of 40. This is about average for me. 

One of my goals this year was to not chase a day count and instead skip skiing if conditions favored doing something else instead (XC, hiking, Biking). I did that.  I got in way more of those other activities than usual. So the fact that I still got an average number of ski days feels pretty good. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    29 which is slightly higher than average for me.  Includes 5 new venues, most new in at least 10 yrs

2 XC which is less than average

0 snowshoe which is less than average