skier days

2»

Comments

• I think I am at ten, which, given the way things have been, is a good season for me. Will be out every Saturday until we close though in early May. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • I got to 50 yesterday with a hike of Wachusett.  Still plenty of snow there so I imagine I will get another handful of days in there via hikes.  Would like to get up to VT at least one more time for more lift service runs.  Great season for me!
  • skelley19, in the past, there have been enough snow patches in some years to climb and make turns into the first or second week of May. There was a posting in the base lodge about a rail jam on or around May 5, and some talk about running the Vickery chair on that weekend, but that may be wishful thinking. They did run the Vickery chair on May 2 a few years ago and had some pretty good cover. Interesting place, Wachusett.
  • edited April 18
    57 so far this season.  God I love race coaching!

• edited April 18
    bmwskier said:

I think I am at ten, which, given the way things have been, is a good season for me. Will be out every Saturday until we close though in early May. 

I confused me, myself & I again, cause for some reason I thought you were a patroller, no?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Question. If I go to a ski area and purchase a ticket and the area closes for the season before I click in my skis, does that count as ski day?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:

Question. If I go to a ski area and purchase a ticket and the area closes for the season before I click in my skis, does that count as ski day?

IMO: Only if you walk up the hill and earn a few turns.
  • ski_it said:

bmwskier said:

I think I am at ten, which, given the way things have been, is a good season for me. Will be out every Saturday until we close though in early May. 

I confused me, myself & I again, cause for some reason I thought you were a patroller, no?
    I am a patroller but I also have a spouse with a degenerative illness that, unfortunately, keeps me away from the mountains. I have a great group of friends who patrol that understand and have supported me and Betsy through her struggles to find a cure or at least some relief. I've been able to get out lately because we finally have some good home health care workers that can pick up where I leave off. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski it, there is a short answer and a long answer to your question.
    Short answer : No.
    Long answer: Hell no.
    However, you're the one doing the counting, so do whatever you want.
  • Bill29 said:

skelley19, in the past, there have been enough snow patches in some years to climb and make turns into the first or second week of May. There was a posting in the base lodge about a rail jam on or around May 5, and some talk about running the Vickery chair on that weekend, but that may be wishful thinking. They did run the Vickery chair on May 2 a few years ago and had some pretty good cover. Interesting place, Wachusett.

Bill,
    Friends of mine went a few years back when they ran the Vickery on 5/2 and still talk about how cool it was.  On the website it says the Cinco De Mayo Rail Jam is going to be on lower Hitchcock though.  Both Vickery trails are still edge to edge with excellent base and features still holding strong as of yesterday, so they could definitely run the Vickery and have the jam there if they want to.  I think they are likely to get more money from beer sales on the deck so that is why they are planning to have it on lower hitchcock so people can see it from the deck.

I hiked again yesterday and most of mountain is still edge to edge with good base.  Getting a little thin towards the bottom 10% of the mountain but still plenty of snow to ski out.  Saw a handful of skiers out there yesterday doing the same thing.  Also lots of non-skiing hikers on the hiking trails and at the observation tower that seemed perplexed and asking if there really is enough snow left.  Ran into a few mountain ops people and said hi and they didn't seem to have any problem with us earning turns.  There are 2 big signs at the base stating the mountain is closed, no patrolers on duty and to proceed at your own risk.  I plan to keep earning them until there is nothing left.

Shawn

• edited April 19
    Bill29 said:

ski it, there is a short answer and a long answer to your question.
    Short answer : No.
    Long answer: Hell no.
    However, you're the one doing the counting, so do whatever you want.

Okay, but can I count it as my shortest ski day event ever? Well, besides the one(s) where I didn't buy a ticket. Wasn't my worse I guess, since I received two vouchers for $18 
  • There's usually a silver lining and 18 bucks qualifies. Enjoy.
  • bmwskier said:

ski_it said:

bmwskier said:

I am a patroller but I also have a spouse with a degenerative illness that, unfortunately, keeps me away from the mountains. I have a great group of friends who patrol that understand and have supported me and Betsy through her struggles to find a cure or at least some relief. I've been able to get out lately because we finally have some good home health care workers that can pick up where I leave off. 
    I just want to say I apologize if I should of been aware of this thru this forum.
    I’m at least aware how hard HHC is in procuring and keeping going. I’m glad you are able to get out on the slopes for your sake and ours. Gotta respect the SP.
    And at my ripe old age me, myself & I treat everyday out as special.
  • ski_it, thank you. 

We really, really need a way to upvote people on this forum!
    Greg Stump
  • edited April 19
    I got in 32 ski days.  Also snowshoed 4 or 5 times, most memorably across a frozen Lake Louise in Canada with my wife.  We took a 7000 mile road trip in March driving from VA to UT, up to Banff, and back to VA that lasted 26 days.  I got to eight excellent ski areas, some I had never skied before, but I only got 16 ski days on that trip.  Tactically it might not have been the best use of my vacation time because I sacrificed a lot of ski days to travel around to different resorts.   

There is a small chance I might ski one more time this season.  Will be in Utah over Memorial Day weekend for a home improvement project at my son's house, and might be tempted to sneak away one afternoon to ski if Snowbird is still open.

God willing and the creek don't rise, next year I hope to surpass my personal record of 50 days in one winter that I did back in 1976.  Aforementioned home improvement project could help facilitate things for next winter.
  • I will be closing out the season at  Mt Snow on Sunday which will make 19 days.    I was hoping for 20+  but hey, it was great season.  .
    Picked up four new places - Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Pebble Creek ID, and Living Memorial Ski Park, Brattleboro.

• Nine days for me.  Once a week from Jan until late March split between Blue Mt and Camelback.  I missed one week because I was just too tired and another because I wasn't going to travel two hours in a snowstorm.  I wanted a last hurrah at Hunter but the first week in April was rainy and ugly.  Not worth the drive or money.  Nine was the best I have done in a while.
  • I had to go to Buffalo on Thursday to get the last of my brother's stuff. He had some old ski patches in the tool box my grandfather made, including one from the Otter Ski Patrol of Pico, Maple Valley among others. Also got some E'ville Brewery Beer, and Southern Tier beer as well. 

Of course, taking 90 took me past Shu-Maker. Something stood out--- they're still cutting back on the trail overgrowth, or so it looks from the highway. Compared to Maple Valley and others, it almost looked like it was open. Any rumors of anything going on there? 
    Greg Stump
  • I think the property is a mx park.