Detachable lift with least amount of running days

Now that the season is ending at many places I'm wondering what high speed lift in the northeast saw the fewest operating days this year? Also on any given year?

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    My guess would be Slide Brook at Sugarbush. No data, but since it has restrictions based on snowpack (has to be enough under the lift for snowmobile evac) and temperatures (does not run when freaking cold, which it was for a lot of the winter), and rarely runs on weekdays, I'd guess it ran the least.

• jaytremjaytrem advanced
    Grand Summit at Mount Snow is weekend/holiday only.  Slide Brook at Sugarbush another possibility.  Needles Eye at Killington is another less frequently used one.  Barnstormer at Haystack is weekend/holidays only.  Can't think of any other redundant ones off hand.  We counting Quebec and Ontario?
    Stratton or Killington pomas? :D
    One of those would probably win
    - Sam
  • xlr8rxlr8r intermediate
    Is North Peak at Sunday River used much on weekdays these days, it used to be weekend/holiday only.

Shooting Star at Stratton might be another one, do not know if that one runs weekdays.  

Summit and Golden at Pico have short seasons and only run 5 days a week

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

Killington Poma runs a lot
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Barnstormer at Haystack?
    NELSAP said:

Barnstormer at Haystack?

What high speed lift will run the least next year?

I'll take surface lifts for $500 Alex.
  • newmannewman advanced
    I agree with Shooting Star and Needles Eye for the least used HS. I wouldn't count Barnstormer because it is open whenever the mountain is, not just overflow. The new Snow Bowl may be the same. The Grand Summit and the HSQ at Blue PA are both back up lifts to HS Six packs right next to them.
    Can actual data be found on this or will we just speculate, based on what we saw on our visits? 
  • newmannewman advanced
    I wonder if the new gondi at B W will be going into this thread next season? :-O
    newman said:

I wonder if the new gondi at B W will be going into this thread next season? :-O

It will run throughout the year, so maybe numbers low for first winter, yes, but after that it should be busier than others 
  • SullySully intermediate
    Hands down it has to be either Barnstormer. Runs three days a week and ten other days total. This year they shut down in late March so there's that too.
    Does anyone know how often the poma at Stratton runs?

Also, it's not technically detachable, although it runs faster than any other lift, but would Cannon's tram qualify? They only run that weekends and holidays mid-season, right?
    - Sam
    How often is Slide Brook running these days?  They running it midweek at all?
    jaytrem said:

It was spotty midweek, mainly due to weather and snow (lack of) under the line. But, they did run more than just weekends, just don't know how much

jaytrem said:

It was spotty midweek, mainly due to weather and snow (lack of) under the line. But, they did run more than just weekends, just don't know how much
    Thanks, I'd probably put my money on Shooting Star.  But would be close with Branstormer and maybe Needles Eye. I noticed a couple times Needles Eye was listed as open on mid-week ski reports, remember being surprised.
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate

If we're counting Pomas, Hickory's two
    jgreco said:

Now that hurts  :((

Can we stick to detachable quad chairlifts? I think that was the OP's intent?
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    jaytrem said:

NELSAP said:

Barnstormer at Haystack?

What high speed lift will run the least next year?

I'll take surface lifts for $500 Alex.
    Haha. Barnstormer is a good guess for future run times. 
    That puppy will be sold for pennies in the dollar before it misses a season of action. It seems to be literally the only thing Barnes actually paid for.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Sully said:

That puppy will be sold for pennies in the dollar before it misses a season of action. It seems to be literally the only thing Barnes actually paid for.

I know this is further side tracking, but how are lift purchases typically paid for? Is it a bank loan, money in full?
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    We ran Slide Brook a lot this season, though not through the really cold days. There's a wind hold aspect on it as well and it takes a bit of effort to clear the line before operating due to sight lines. It's really easy for a branch to fall onto it without anyone knowing. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited April 17 Posts: 313
    Tram at Cannon. It does not operate early or late season (only runs about three months Christmas through mid-March) and only operates four days a week (it does not run Tues-Thurs).

Edit: Whoops, that would be the correct answer for a "high speed" lift but not detachable. The OP's title says detachable but the OPs first post says "high speed". I retract my submission! But still an interesting related tangent none the less.
    riverc0il said:

Tram at Cannon. It does not operate early or late season (only runs about three months Christmas through mid-March) and only operates four days a week (it does not run Tues-Thurs).

Edit: Whoops, that would be the correct answer for a "high speed" lift but not detachable. The OP's title says detachable but the OPs first post says "high speed". I retract my submission! But still an interesting related tangent none the less.

That's why I brought it up, I think it should count. But I also think the pomas should count.
    - Sam
    jgreco said:

We can't count abandoned areas because then we could count the gondola at Whittier.
    - Sam
    mtsnow123 said:

Sully said:

I know this is further side tracking, but how are lift purchases typically paid for? Is it a bank loan, money in full?
    I believe, not 100%, in this scenario it was a short term loan from the manufacturer, Dopp in this case. 

The Cannon tram does run in the summer, idk if we are counting four season or just ski ops.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    riverc0il said:

Also, since they run it at reduced speeds and reduced capacity these days, does it even still count at 'high speed'?
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced

riverc0il said:

Also, since they run it at reduced speeds and reduced capacity these days, does it even still count at 'high speed'?

I haven't been on the tram recently. Why are they running at lower speeds and capacity?
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    riverc0il said:

riverc0il said:

I haven't been on the tram recently. Why are they running at lower speeds and capacity?
    Seems to be a combination of needed repairs and energy savings. At the beginning of the season they did a bunch of work on the braking system, but I don't think it was fully completed. Tram is running every 15min at best.  I've noticed that when they are counting people coming into the tram they are often clicking 2 or 3 times for one person coming through the door.  I haven't counted exactly how many they are loading, but I know what 70 feels like and they haven't been loading that many. 

So in that sense maybe the Tram really is a good vote for this thread.  Not only do they run it on limited yearly and weekly schedules, but they also run it on reduced daily schedules. 
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate

jgreco said:

We can't count abandoned areas because then we could count the gondola at Whittier.
    Hickory's not abandoned though. You've gotta belieeeeeeeeeve!!!!!