Detachable lift with least amount of running days

2»

Comments

• edited April 18

riverc0il said:

riverc0il said:

Also, since they run it at reduced speeds and reduced capacity these days, does it even still count at 'high speed'?

I haven't been on the tram recently. Why are they running at lower speeds and capacity?
    Seems to be a combination of needed repairs and energy savings. At the beginning of the season they did a bunch of work on the braking system, but I don't think it was fully completed. Tram is running every 15min at best.  I've noticed that when they are counting people coming into the tram they are often clicking 2 or 3 times for one person coming through the door.  I haven't counted exactly how many they are loading, but I know what 70 feels like and they haven't been loading that many. 

So in that sense maybe the Tram really is a good vote for this thread.  Not only do they run it on limited yearly and weekly schedules, but they also run it on reduced daily schedules. 

I'm sure Rocket would be all too happy to write an article about that if he found out. ;))
    - Sam
  • jgreco said:

jgreco said:

Stratton or Killington pomas? :D
    One of those would probably win

Killington Poma runs a lot
    If we're counting Pomas, Hickory's two

We can't count abandoned areas because then we could count the gondola at Whittier.
    Hickory's not abandoned though. You've gotta belieeeeeeeeeve!!!!!
    Agreed....really hope their situation changes. Are they keeping trails cleared? I have not been by there in a couple of years (summer or winter). Is there and active website for the group that was keeping it running?
  • edited April 18
    I do not think there are any poma discs on the Stratton poma anymore. It is never open.
    The Shooting Star at Stratton does run more than you think.  It is usually running when the Snowbowl FGQ and the Gondola are not running due to wind for both and lack of traffic midweek when they do not run the Snow Bowl lift. That will change next year when they change the Snow Bowl to a HSQ.

The correct answer is the Burnt Ridge Quad at Gore. This is the least used HS lift in the East.

• I do not think there are any poma discs on the Stratton poma anymore. It is never open.
    The Shooting Star at Stratton does run more than you think.  It is usually running when the Snowbowl FGQ and the Gondola are not running due to wind for both and lack of traffic midweek when they do not run the Snow Bowl lift. That will change next year when they change the Snow Bowl to a HSQ.

The correct answer is the Burnt Ridge Quad at Gore. This is the least used HS lift in the East.

Pictures taken this week by Peter of Liftblog.com show platters on the poma. Unlike most other lifts, the carriers are only on the haul rope when the lift is actively being used, they are stored in the bottom station at all other times.
    - Sam
  • edited April 18
    I thought they were running Burnt Ridge more often these days. Not true?
  • edited April 18
    jaytrem said:

Gore lacks the snowmaking horsepower of the big SVT areas. It takes a lot of manmade snow to open the Cedars Traverse connector and Echo and eventually Sagamore. Burnt Ridge is low priority for snowmaking and, unless there is a big early natural snow year, it does not open until mid Jan. It is also closed on low visit days. The lift basically serves 2 upper intermediate trails and some great tree skiing.
  • jaytrem said:

Gore lacks the snowmaking horsepower of the big SVT areas. It takes a lot of manmade snow to open the Cedars Traverse connector and Echo and eventually Sagamore. Burnt Ridge is low priority for snowmaking and, unless there is a big early natural snow year, it does not open until mid Jan. It is also closed on low visit days. The lift basically serves 2 upper intermediate trails and some great tree skiing.
    I thought they had a dedicated race trail there now? I remember someone saying that here on SJ.
  • newman said:

jaytrem said:

I thought they had a dedicated race trail there now? I remember someone saying that here on SJ.

Echo on Burnt Ridge is a race trail, but early season racing is usually on Twister for SG/GS and the lower section of Showcase for SL. They also have race training on Top Ridge. The Top Ridge area is high priority for snowmaking because it is an important connection to the upper mountain and at higher altitude than Burnt Ridge.
  • I have a suspicion that Gore has an ongoing plan for slowly but surely overcharging and underdelivering.

In the few years I've been skiing there, prices have gone up, and snowmaking has decreased.  

The parking lots and the lodges are maxed out, and people haven't stopped coming.  So, why not continue to raise prices?  

If people pay $5 for a beer and keep buying when its $6, why not make it $7?  Now let's drop the serving size from 16 oz to 14 oz.  Ah!  They still pay!  

What doesn't make sense is that Gore has expanded terrain and added/updated lifts during the same time period.  And they've connected the ski bowl with a pair of dismal routes, and put the lift in question here in a flat valley.  So my other theory is, they're just stupid.

• I have a suspicion that Gore has an ongoing plan for slowly but surely overcharging and underdelivering.

In the few years I've been skiing there, prices have gone up, and snowmaking has decreased.  

The parking lots and the lodges are maxed out, and people haven't stopped coming.  So, why not continue to raise prices?  

If people pay $5 for a beer and keep buying when its $6, why not make it $7?  Now let's drop the serving size from 16 oz to 14 oz.  Ah!  They still pay!  

What doesn't make sense is that Gore has expanded terrain and added/updated lifts during the same time period.  And they've connected the ski bowl with a pair of dismal routes, and put the lift in question here in a flat valley.  So my other theory is, they're just stupid.
    They have been drawing roughly 190k-220k visits for the last 15 years, despite all the new lifts, snowmaking, lodge improvements and trails. Why would all these improvements not increase visits?
    My theory is that the ORDA board of directors wants to make sure the all the beds and businesses in Lake Placid are always filled. In order to do this, they NEVER advertise Gore in the NYC metro area while they do advertise WF. Gore is a better mountain vs WF for the vast majority of skiers, it is much closer and an easier drive from NYC vs WF, is much larger than WF and is not subject to the same extreme weather that exists at WF. Despite these facts, Gore remains an underutilized NYS asset as they continue to spend vast $$$ on improvements at Gore, yet still see the same amount of visits.
    Gore would actually appeal to people who ski at Stratton/Mt Snow/Okemo in terms of terrain and challenge. Those places see 450k-600k visits per year. Gore could easily handle another 50k visits and nobody would even notice. The fear for ORDA is that Gore would suck the visitors away WF.
  • edited April 20
    I would suspect it may be much simpler. The majority of the people who ski at Mount Snow, Stratton, Okemo etc I would fathom are likely from MA and CT. Gore has geography working against it, those people aren't going to drive 4 hrs when they have similar terrain hovering at 3 hrs and under. For that matter are downstate New Yorkers going to VT instead as well? I think Gore is highly underrated but I can understand how visits aren't increasing along with spending.
  • newpylong said:

I hate how a misplaced cursor damns one to pose as the quoted commenter, but anyway....this is not newpylong but a comment to his note about Gore (yes, thread hijack continues) and Z's above it:

newpylong said:

Newp: Agreed on the logistics of MA/CT to Gore. 

newpylong said:

To Z: North Creek versus Lake Placid: No comparison, as far as what I imagine most folks are looking for in a destination resort town. 

• American Dream Meadowlands, NJ
  • Dirk109 said:

American Dream Meadowlands, NJ

Is that a detachable quad?  That wins hands down!

Been installed for...nine years?!?

• Dirk109 said:

American Dream Meadowlands, NJ

Is that a detachable quad?  That wins hands down!

Been installed for...nine years?!?

Fixed Grip... 

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/american-dream-project-stalled-article-1.1341947
  • newpylong said:

I hate how a misplaced cursor damns one to pose as the quoted commenter, but anyway....this is not newpylong but a comment to his note about Gore (yes, thread hijack continues) and Z's above it:

newpylong said:

newpylong said:

To Z: North Creek versus Lake Placid: No comparison, as far as what I imagine most folks are looking for in a destination resort town. 

I specifically did not bring up CT/ MA. NY Metro has more population than MA and CT combined. I realize that part of CT is included in NY Metro, but not advertising Gore in NY Metro while advertising WF is a huge clue. How do you justify not promoting Gore (which has almost doubled in size over the last 15 years at huge expense to NYS) in an area that has big population as little as 2:40 from Gore? This is a complete failure.

I also know that North Creek has nothing on LP, but families with kids do not care about the nightlife that exists in Lake Placid. I am sure there are plenty of people who would enjoy Gore if they knew it existed.

Sorry about the hijack
  • newpylong said:

newpylong said:

newpylong said:

I specifically did not bring up CT/ MA. NY Metro has more population than MA and CT combined. I realize that part of CT is included in NY Metro, but not advertising Gore in NY Metro while advertising WF is a huge clue. How do you justify not promoting Gore (which has almost doubled in size over the last 15 years at huge expense to NYS) in an area that has big population as little as 2:40 from Gore? This is a complete failure.

I also know that North Creek has nothing on LP, but families with kids do not care about the nightlife that exists in Lake Placid. I am sure there are plenty of people who would enjoy Gore if they knew it existed.

Sorry about the hijack
    I wasn't thinking so much about the nightlife in the NC/LP comparison. LP has more restaurants, stores and other things to do that are not at WF (bobsled run, Olympic venues) that would entice families. NC has a supermarket, a few curio shops and a few restaurants, though not nearly the selection that LP has.

That being said, I can't understand the marketing; you'd think they'd market the crap out of Gore since they are putting so much dough in it, and WF/LP get more than enough traffic.