Colorado Lost Ski Areas

It's not New England...but I think it's still pretty cool:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/04/17/couple-lost-ski-areas/

Comments

• The news clip associated with the article is worth watching. 

Quote:  "It was the working people, the immigrants, that brought the ski culture to Colorado...they would work so hard, and they just wanted to have a little fun."  - Caryn Boddie

I was struck by this comment, given that in 2018, a significant portion of the country has lost all sense of where America comes from, what our true story and history is, and how immigration is a central and ONGOING PART of the U.S. success story.  I'm confident this does not become the new normal here, but it's disgusting what's currently happening, and I say that as a son and grandson of immigrants.   That too many are enabling turning on our neighbors and community members and treating them in the most awful, disrespectful, outrageous and inhuman of ways, will be a permanent stain on the American narrative--and never mind how self-defeating it is too.

It's up to the rest of us to correct these wrongs.

• short 5 min video on lost Geneva Basin, now used as backcountry spot 

• Always liked that site, most interesting place I'd just over the border in New Mexico, Ski Rio. In fact the original Mount Mansfield lift is riding into the sunset there I think.
  • Did you ski at Rio? Always wanted to, looked good for tele. We drove up to the base in 1990 , a la Nina year, snow was firm. Ended up hiking the wild rivers NRA canyoninstead of skiing. I should of done it.
  • Love the site as the 1st place I ever skied was Hidden Valley at Estes Park.

Rio looked good on map but never skied or lay eyes on it.
    `
    Would love to safari the Southwest one El Nino year from Angel Fire to Arizona Snow Bowl

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• That's my plan, Red River, Taos, pajarito, santa Fe, sipapu, ski sunrise, AZ Snowbowl,plus a few national monuments. The Southwest is a spectacular multi sport destination. I have done Angel Fire, its really like an eastern area, so no harm in skipping it.

• That's my plan, Red River, Taos, pajarito, santa Fe, sipapu, ski sunrise, AZ Snowbowl,plus a few national monuments. The Southwest is a spectacular multi sport destination. I have done Angel Fire, its really like an eastern area, so no harm in skipping it.
    Depending on plans be sure to check out the NMX ski card or possibly become a "member" of Ski New Mexico.  NMX typically gets you a few free tix in Jan and BOGO the rest of the year for about $125 (including AZ Snowbowl this year).  Ski New Mexico is 2 tix per area for $300 I believe.