Sugarbush 4/19/2018

2»

Comments

• bmwskier said:

It's traditional--as that is the way it was before we replaced the lift and it's also for crowd control for the area. Surprisingly, I timed the lift this year and it's only a ten minute ride up. 

My memory is the same. When ASC replaced the Castlerock
    double (2001, Poma), they retained the Old School capacity. My download from Liftblog.com
    didn’t work well. So I just typed it out. But I had some surprises. The
    capacity is over 1000 pph. But the line speed is only 300 fpm. There is plenty
    of trail capacity to boost the lift capacity. Typically a fgd can do 1200 pph.
    Since Vermont permits 400 pph (at least), they could just increase the line
    speed. With higher speed and more chairs, they could come close to 1400 pph. The
    Killington Peak double did 1500 pph. Wow, I just looked, that lift and the
    current Beak Quad are listed as 550 pph. Is that correct? I didn’t think VT
    permitted over 450. The other surprise was the length difference (800’). If I
    recall the old lift went across the flat summit further. I don’t recall the
    base, but at 1800’ vert. it must have gone down further.

Castlerock:

1046 pph,  4707’
    length, 1670’ vert, 300 hp, 300 line speed

Castlerock

Double

Poma

Poma

Removed

Castlerock

Double

Carlevaro-Savio

1959-2001

1959-2001

1800’ vert.

5500’ length

• I like the spacing. Really keeps things quiet on the trail. With the full line last Saturday, I encountered all of 5 people on my way down Middle Earth, two I skied up on and 3 that started out behind me and we leap-frogged as I stopped to gasp for breath (2x) and take pictures. CR Run tends to get more traffic; saw no one on Lift Line or enter Rumble, though both were pretty boney. 
  • That speed does not seem correct. Am I wrong? I don't think the old one even moved that slow.
  • jaytrem said:

That speed does not seem correct. Am I wrong? I don't think the old one even moved that slow.

It's been several years since I rode the lift, but 300 fpm seems low; especial with such chair spacing yet getting over 1000 pph. Perhaps that figure is wrong. I didn't find another source for stats but NE Ski History mentions a mid-station (below) on the old lift. It's been so long I don't remember.
    NESH:
    After a successful opening season in 1958-59, the owners of Sugarbush continued investing money by building a new complex. Serviced by a new Carlevaro & Savio double chairlift, the Castlerock area would quickly become legendary throughout New England. While the complex primarily catered to experts, a mid station on the chairlift allowed for intermediates to ski Cotillion and Troll Road.
  • I always wondered why a blue trail zig zags from half way down. Good find on the mid station thing.