Snowshoe Snowmaking Upgrades

ropeways.net | Home | 2018-04-27

SNOWSHOE MOUNTAIN ANNOUNCES $4M INVESTMENT IN SNOW TECHNOLOGY

SNOWSHOE, W. Va. – Snowshoe Mountain has announced that it will be investing nearly $4M in upgrades to its snowmaking and grooming technology this summer. Resort officials anticipate that the investment will allow them to open significantly more of their ski trails by early December and maintain a high-quality snow surface throughout the ski season; all while greatly reducing the mountain’s carbon footprint. 

“This is the single most important investment our new owners, Alterra Mountain Company, could make in Snowshoe,” said Frank DeBerry, Snowshoe’s President and Chief Operating Officer. “As this past season demonstrates, Snowshoe’s unique microclimate and elevation provide us with the cold and snow we need to provide the best and most skiing and riding in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast. This investment further boosts and protects our greatest strength, all while taking yet another step towards reducing our impact on the environment.” 
  • Increased Efficiency and Sustainability o The re-tooled snowmaking system will cut the resort’s energy costs and consumption significantly, and return more than 5,000,000kwh back to the grid. 
  • 5,000,000kwh is enough to power 500 homes for an entire year. 
  • New Snowguns and Automation Equipment o The investment includes over 160 new snowguns to be positioned in key, fixed locations around the mountain, as well as the equipment needed to further automate the snowmaking system. 
  • 75 Fixed Position Tower Fan Guns
  • High Production/Low Energy DemacLenko Titan 2.0 will be utilized 
  • The most powerful snowgun currently on the market, capable of making massive amounts of snow in short windows of time. 
  • 90 Low-Energy “Stick” Guns
  • Super energy-efficient SnowLogic DV7’s use less than 10% of the energy required of traditional snowmaking equipment. 
  • Will allow the resort to maintain high-quality surface conditions with minimal energy usage.
  • Automation Hardware & Software
  • Further automating the mountain’s snowmaking system will increase efficiency, giving it the maximum amount of production time during even brief snowmaking opportunities. 
  • Each snowgun will have access to temperature and humidity sensors that trigger the automation software and adjust air/water ratios to ensure both high quality snow and maximum snow production.

Comments

• I'm surprised I have never heard DemacLenko.
  • mtsnow123 said:

I'm surprised I have never heard DemacLenko.

They're one of the Ropeways.net sponsors.

• edited April 27
    They make the best fan guns on the market along with Techno Alpin in my opinion.
  • newpylong said:

They make the best fan guns on the market along with Techno Alpin in my opinion.

I never have seen Demac, but pictures. All the Lencos I've worked with were complicated and expensive, so I was never a lover of them. I do agree about Techno fans. I didn't like Techno's stick that I used, but liked M18 better than any fan so far.
  • I am a huge SMI Polecat fan!
  • newman said:

newpylong said:

I never have seen Demac, but pictures. All the Lencos I've worked with were complicated and expensive, so I was never a lover of them. I do agree about Techno fans. I didn't like Techno's stick that I used, but liked M18 better than any fan so far.
    There is no specific Demac gun, they are all Demac-Lenkos. Demac is just the company name, part of the same umbrella that owns Prinoth and Leitner-Poma. The Lenko brand name may go away in the future. Their Titan 2.0's along with the TA TF10/40 are IMO the best on the market, they have exceptional output in the whole range of conditions.

Never used a stick gun from either.
  • newpylong said:

newman said:

newpylong said:

There is no specific Demac gun, they are all Demac-Lenkos. Demac is just the company name, part of the same umbrella that owns Prinoth and Leitner-Poma. The Lenko brand name may go away in the future. Their Titan 2.0's along with the TA TF10/40 are IMO the best on the market, they have exceptional output in the whole range of conditions.

Never used a stick gun from either.
    That makes sense when I look up their closest location, which is in NH, I see a Prinoth mark on a large warehouse with snowcats in the back.
  • Lenko had a decent presence in the US fan gun market in the 80's and 90's, really before SMI came along and started taking over the US market in a much larger way. Demac has been much more of a European company for it's lifetime.  The purchase happened a few years ago when Demac bought Lenko and the new combined branding was put in place...

Gotta agree wholeheartedly with newpylong that the writing is on the wall that the blue Demac-Lenko fan guns in the not too distant future will be just Demac fan guns as the post merger evolution and brand integration continues....

Heck, I could almost envision a decade or so from now, if the overall umbrellla company that owns Leitner-Poma, Prinoth, and Demac-Lenko does a full across the branding and markets the overall company to ski areas as something along the lines of "we have all of your uphill and downhill needs for your customers covered"....
  • hmm.  My background leads me to say that the next step after that is 'and we can manage your uphill and downhill operations for a nice fee'.  I mean really, why hire and train your own expertise.  They can probably do half the work remotely in the near future.

As an occasional Snowshoe skier, I have to wonder where exactly they are going to put these things - all over the main mountain and backside I guess.  Honestly they do pretty good in that area already.  

• pagamony said:

[snip]

As an occasional Snowshoe skier, I have to wonder where exactly they are going to put these things - all over the main mountain and backside I guess.  Honestly they do pretty good in that area already.  

Agree about Snowshoe's existing snowmaking capacity, pagamony.  Their infrastructure, water, and the 4800-foot summit elevation usually combine to make good conditions early in the season.  My friends and I added a mid-December overnight to our traditional February weekend families trip because of SS's recent improvements.

Once SS upgraded the snowmaking up and down Cupp Run's 1500-foot vertical I figure they had things pretty well covered. But reducing energy use and automating the system in key locations makes sense.  And the Ridiculous Pass was $229 for 2018-19.

Kudos to Snowshoe!

Woody
  • edited April 27
    Silver Creek could use some upgrades, I'm sure. Silver Creek is 'like Pico is to Killington. Snowshoes little brother who gets the hand me down type stuff.
  • edited April 30
    I was up there on their final weekend this year. Cupp Run was in great shape edge to edge coverage no thin spot. The new guns are working well.

As for the fan guns, they had about 7 to 8 different fan guns in a row for testing. I attached a photo of the big toy they plan to install from their FB page.

As for the state of the 'Shoe, a part of the upgrades in snowmaking is pipe replacement. They had two blow outs this year. One of them was right under the Powder Monkey lift about 50 ft above the base terminal. Not sure where the other was. It will be interesting to hear more details about the improvements.
    FB_IMG_1524914772219.jpg
    1080 x 720 - 127K
    Semi removed mid station on Western Territory HSQ.jpg
    800 x 600 - 215K
    Soaring Eagle HSQ- Widowmaker trail.jpg
    600 x 800 - 159K
    Snowshoe 2 blowout.jpg
    600 x 800 - 301K
    Snowshoe blowout 1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 281K
    Ballhooter trail.jpg
    600 x 800 - 200K