Safety Bar Etiquette/Usage

2»

Comments

• Sully said:

No footrest=useless and frustrating to me with a board. Yeah I can do the back foot under the heel edge to hold it up but that blows. Just make a normal bar like was the case for the last 20 years. It's the real old chairs like Heavy Metal at Snow that have a comfort issue being too small of a bar drop.

That's interesting, I never like any footrest with a board.
  • Sully said:

No footrest=useless and frustrating to me with a board. Yeah I can do the back foot under the heel edge to hold it up but that blows. Just make a normal bar like was the case for the last 20 years. It's the real old chairs like Heavy Metal at Snow that have a comfort issue being too small of a bar drop.

I find that when I hold my board with my loose foot, I typically am in the way of another skier's skis, which I can imagine is a big nuisance. If it is someone I know well, I can easily ask them if it's okay for them if I do so.
  • At 6'8" I TRY to turn my head and pull bar down and if on with grandsons for sure. With GoPro on top of helmet I have to work hard to accomplish the feat, now with my big feet and long legs I rarely find a footrest that I can get my feet on period.

The bar at Crystal w no footrest I always bring down, although most 500' vertical areas are short rides to begin with.

If at all possible I will always try to put a safety bar down the matter where I am and I am used to trying to fit into smaller things i.e. automobiles etc.
  • clearly the answer here is to just ban snowboarding.  i'll call my senator....
  • We can't ban snowboarding! It gives variety to the injuries I treat. Most of my boarding casualties are arms and wrist injuries while skiers nail their legs and knees. Both equally schwack their heads however. 

Be a neat idea to redesign a chair that does well for both boarders and skiers-- with all of the technology there has to be a way to make them more accessible. The carpet idea at Valley House is strange but works well for little skiers and shredders. 

What's a comfortable way to ride with a board? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bmwskier said:

What's a comfortable way to ride with a board? 
    No footrest.
  • Watch out for the footrests at Whaleback...your ski boot gets wedged in between the bottom of the seat and the footrest.  When it comes time to lift the bar, panic sets in when you realize that you can't budge the thing.
  • Now who said MissDaEast went the way of Ski-La-Douche?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Watch out for the footrests at Whaleback...your ski boot gets wedged in between the bottom of the seat and the footrest.  When it comes time to lift the bar, panic sets in when you realize that you can't budge the thing.

I can't even fit my foot onto those, so I just never bother using them. The one good thing is they are high enough to be completely out of the way.
    - Sam

Hey Missadaeast! Glad to see you are still with us!
    How's your granddaughter skiing?
    Snowmass trips?
  • edited May 8
    Hey Hey, Cisco!  Thanks for the recognition.  Between the new SJ site and a switch to a Mac, I had lost the SJ connection.  I found it again last night.  Two granddaughters are skiing now, and their  3 yr old brother has also hit the slopes on some stix.  Your grandsons must be on the racing circuit by now.  No more Snowmass trips for us...grandma sold her condo. Spent the past year in Vermont...weekday passes at Okemo. I've turned into a wimp...spoiled by those heated lift seats and the overhead bubbles.
    Are you still skiing the hills of Michigan?

• Hey Hey, Cisco!  Thanks for the recognition.  Between the new SJ site and a switch to a Mac, I had lost the SJ connection.  I found it again last night.  Two granddaughters are skiing now, and their  3 yr old brother has also hit the slopes on some stix.  Your grandsons must be on the racing circuit by now.  No more Snowmass trips for us...grandma sold her condo. Spent the past year in Vermont...weekday passes at Okemo. I've turned into a wimp...spoiled by those heated lift seats and the overhead bubbles.

Are you still skiing the hills of Michigan?

Oh yes still in the flatlands with the grandsons. I have a granddaughter turning 3 in a few weeks so will get some pink out there next year.

Good to hear your lineage is extending and your back with us