TIPPING lesson INSTRUCTORS or OTHER ski area employees

edited May 3 in NELSAP Forum
I don't know if we touched on this before, the paying full price thread brought up the memory of tipping lesson instructors. I vividly remember December 1995 at Searchmont tipping the young lady teaching my then seven-year-old daughter. I have no idea what I paid for the lesson per se but I vividly remember giving her a $10 US bill while at a Canadian resort which at the time I believe was roughly a 50% exchange rate. Of course when I eat in a restaurant with in the ski area ownership I tip the waitress or waiter appropriately which is mandatory. But I am generally just asking for those services which are not totally obligatory in tipping nature

What do you generally do as far as tipping an instructor or other ski area employee ?

Comments

• Years ago, after I got my girls skiing myself, I figured it was a good idea to get them some "real" lessons since once they started getting a bit older, they started not listening so much to Dad.  I always tipped the instructors. 

Now, both of my girls are ski instructors themselves (one is a junior instructor due to her tender age) and I can tell you that they definitely appreciate and look forward to receiving tips.  I think most people that are not big skiers don't know that tipping ski instructors is even a thing. Although, they do receive some tips, it is not as widespread as it should be.

Cisco, what other ski area employees do you think warrant receiving tips?
  • As an instructor I can say that I get tipped probably 20% of the time.
    - Sam
  • edited May 3

As an instructor I can say that I get tipped probably 20% of the time.

I had been away from skiing for more than 30 years when our son got onto the snow for the first time back in 2003.  I didn't realize that tipping the instructor was customary ... or at least appropriate.  Would have done so.

Woody
  • As an instructor I can say that I get tipped probably 20% of the time.

I had been away from skiing for more than 30 years when our son got onto the snow for the first time back in 2003.  I didn't realize that tipping the instructor was customary ... or at least appropriate.  Would have done so.

Woody
    I think that is often the case, especially at Bradford. A lot of the people paying for the lessons aren't familiar with skiing.
    - Sam
  • I've tipped the guy who cleans restrooms if I have a $5 handy (and the restroom seems reasonably clean).  It's a job that needs to be done and one that I certainly would not want to do! (or should I say "do, do"?)

I do know others who tip an especially good liftie.
  • I've tipped the guy who cleans restrooms if I have a $5 handy (and the restroom seems reasonably clean).  It's a job that needs to be done and one that I certainly would not want to do! (or should I say "do, do"?)

I do know others who tip an especially good liftie.
    I don't tip lifties, but I am always polite and always say thank you as I get on the chair.
  • Tipping instructors (based on performance) is a definite! There have been a couple of occasions where I've given zero to a really bad instructor. Otherwise it's 15-20% for competent/friendly, and 25+% for stand-out instructors. Same goes for F&B staff. I've never considered it for lifties. That's probably not fair. I'll rethink that next year.
  • br>Cisco, what other ski area employees do you think warrant receiving tips?

Maybe the groomer driver that took you a little out of the way or off the beaten path or an extra 10 minutes( Ted?)
    I suppose daycare, I dunno

My focus was on lesson instructors that do a good job and teach an invaluable lifetime sport