May Skiing in the NEast - General Question

I have a general question about mid-spring skiing in the NEast and would appreciate some advice.

One of these years I'd like to ski in May.  It's not a bucket-list activity (I'm not into bucket lists) but just something I'd like to do as part of a trip from my home here in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley to enjoy spring wildflowers (yes, and mud and black flies) in the Northeast.

I'm an OK intermediate skier and can handle runs like Lower East Fall at Killington when it's not icy or bumped up.  My body, esp. my shoulders and back, and I have a deal: skiing can continue if I stay out of the bumps.  (I banged up my shoulder pretty badly a few years back.).  So no bump skiing, at least not open purpose.  I'm not too far away from retiring from full-time work, so my schedule will become more flexible, health permitting.  

Wildcat, Sunday River, Jay, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf, and Killington seem to hold the best prospects for early May skiing.  But I'm looking for blue-square groomers, not mondo whales on Superstar.  

What's early May skiing like at these ski areas, when they're open then?  Where am I most likely to find the kind of skiing I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Woody

Comments

• edited May 4
    We are both similar in skiing abilities now that I have MS. I'm also looking for groomed intermediate terrain in May. Killington offers this on Bittersweet/ High Road and Skyelark, but it goes very fast with groomer gone by 11am or so.

I have also done skiing in May at Sugarloaf, but the bad part of that is an extended run out on Candyside which can get narrow and mega crowded. If Peavy X-Cut and Boardwalk are opened, that helps to thin the crowd somewhat. The advantage of Sugarloaf is a groomed Tote Road intermediate trail TTB in May if conditions allow.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Agree with Sugaloaf's analysis.  Even when nicely groomed in the AM, it gets bumped up in a hurry.  Weather is a crap shoot, how cold it got the night before has huge impact on condx.  If you get there early in the AM before May 13th, odds  are good you can get a few hours on Bittersweet and Skyelark (upper) before they bump up.  

Be sure to bring your season pass (if you have one).  It will get you a discount on the ticket.
  • edited May 3
    Hey Woody sorry to hijack your thread here.  May skiing is generally better in Colorado, here's a screen grab from Loveland a few minutes ago.  They have what you're looking for!  Put it on your non-bucket list for when you retire...

:-O
    loveland-may-3rd.jpg
    716 x 391 - 150K

• edited May 3
    Very rare opportunity to ski low and upper intermediate trails in May this Saturday at Whiteface. Facelift HSQ and Little Whiteface chairs running on Saturday. Victoria, Excelsior, Summit Express, Connector, Upper/Lower Valley, Roundabout and Wolf opened on Saturday.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• K often mows down the bumps. Keep an eye on their trail report and if they groom, you can get there first thing and ski until the bumps start to form. In a normal corn cycle, the snow is usually rock hard in the morning through 11am or so. If it is really hot and doesn't get below freezing the night before (i.e. no corn cycle), then it might not be your day. They often keep Skyelark open into May and that is a good intermediate run. Other areas may have similar options. Keep an eye on the weather and look for grooming on the trip reports with below freezing temps during the night before, you'll get 2-3 hours of flat snow skiing no problem.
  • If I didn't have my 88 yr old mom here from NJ to babysit Ted and I would be at Boyne tomm to ski and golf
  • I'm skiing at Whiteface on Saturday with my son. I've never skied in New York State in May.

• My wife will be skiing Whiteface tomorrow with my daughter, I unfortunately have other obligations.
  • edited May 4
    sugarloaf said:

I'm skiing at Whiteface on Saturday with my son. I've never skied in New York State in May.

Looking forward to a pictured report

• :D

Hey Woody sorry to hijack your thread here.  May skiing is generally better in Colorado, here's a screen grab from Loveland a few minutes ago.  They have what you're looking for!  Put it on your non-bucket list for when you retire...

Rickbolger, I didn't think there were any major ski areas west of Ohio.  Maybe I'll look into that sometime.

Woody
  • Thanks to all!  

Great advice about what to expect and where to consider going.  I'll save a copy of this thread so I can think things through in a few years if I can still manage to put one ski in front of the other.

Meanwhile ... (see photo)

Woody
    Big Boulder Apple Blossom 5May2018-7.jpg
    720 x 960 - 80K
  • :D

Rickbolger, I didn't think there were any major ski areas west of Ohio.  Maybe I'll look into that sometime.

Woody
  • Listen MN was open this weekend
  • newman said:

Listen MN was open this weekend

Lutsen ?

imageimageimage
    IMG_4682.JPG
    640 x 360 - 128K
    IMG_4683.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 605K
    IMG_4684.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 662K