Whiteface 5/5/18

Definitely considering going up tomorrow morning, which would be the latest I have skied. Any SJ'ers planning on going?

Comments

• I'll be up there with my son. I'm dressed in red Spyder pants and jacket. I'm planning on skiing from 9-12.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Tomorrow will be a great last day high in the Upper 50's to 60 and sunny!
    ~Rich~
  • I'll look for you Sugarloaf if I do make it - I'd likely only ski in AM too for a few hours.
  • edited May 4
    We are doing a day trip and I'd like to start skiing at opening bell. I figure the snow will be soft from the start.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• sugarloaf said:

We are doing a day trip and I'd like to start skiing at opening bell. I figure the snow will be soft from the start.

If they have power- big winds expected tonight
  • sugarloaf said:

If they have power- big winds expected tonight</blockquote

Currently under a tornado watch.

• Got the car loaded up and ready for tomorrow. Feels strange to go skiing with the A/C blasting in my room. Currently 78F here.

• I am on my way!
  • Power out as of 6:12 am. Website has notice

Hope they get going!
  • edited May 5
    Up here at the base, no power currently. There hoping to run Facelift on diesel power. They lost alot of snowcover and the mountain is mostly in the clouds with light rain.

• edited May 5
    My son is getting a lift ticket, but I think I'm gonna pass on skiing. It's too thin and narrow for me. FYI it's cash only right now for hand written tickets.

• No power expected for today at Whiteface. Still waiting for the Facelift to turn on back-up power.

• Considering that the Weather Channel just mentioned that Whiteface recorded a wind gust of over 100mph yesterday as the front went through, no real surprise of the power situation
  • DrJeff said:

Considering that the Weather Channel just mentioned that Whiteface recorded a wind gust of over 100mph yesterday as the front went through, no real surprise of the power situation

No visible tree damage here at Whiteface or on the drive up. Facelift started loading at 10:30 and my son got first chair.

• Any pictures? Meet JD?
  • Just got home and I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

• edited May 6

Here are the pictures from skiing (If you can call it that) from Whiteface. There was a shocking lack of snow and I think the mountain lost more snow than they thought they would prior to opening on Saturday morning. The heavy rain and hot weather of the last few days melted a lot of snow and extensive walking was required at one point in the trail.

The strong winds from the night before knocked out power, so the lift was running on diesel back-up. They where planning on skiing with the Facelift Chair, but this proved to be impossible without power. I did not ski as the snow on the open trails was too narrow for me and I cant do the walking required with my poor balance.

My so did ski and took one run, so the pictures are all from him. I was really hoping to ski there in May and Killington looks to be my only option going forward.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Whiteface1 (Medium).jpg
    768 x 1024 - 170K
    Whiteface2 (Medium).jpg
    768 x 1024 - 158K
    Whiteface3 (Medium).jpg
    768 x 1024 - 149K
    Whiteface4 (Medium).jpg
    768 x 1024 - 173K
    Whiteface5 (Medium).jpg
    768 x 1024 - 245K
    Whiteface6 (Medium).jpg
    768 x 1024 - 281K

• I saved down the pic of the lift line at the bottom and enlarged it as I could see orange and my daughter has an orange helmet.  When I zoomed in on the saved photo, I couldn't see my daughter, just the helmet over someone's shoulder but was able to see my wife in the photo.  She only skied one run, my daughter skied four or five runs with one of her college friends.
  • Nice pics thanks
  • I'll share some pics and details later - in the meantime, we made the Adirondack Daily Enterprise! Jgrego, friends, and myself had a blast! It was great to meet Sugarloaf in the morning too, and the Saratoga Skier.

Article on Whiteface Opening for Latest Day on Record

• edited May 8
    It was a fantastic day skiing with Jeremy! And a rollercoaster of expectations, from the forecast looking good and a snow report suggesting skiing from the top of Little Whiteface, to 48 degrees, light rain, no power, and no guarantee that the lifts would run at all, and then to the sun popping out just as they started loading Face Lift and a party atmosphere for the diehards who showed up. We were searching for a perfect spring day and we got it - even with a muddy walk in the middle of every run. Kudos to Whiteface for pulling it off! And to the skiers for making the most of it. I hope the folks from Ottawa got to make some turns.

I assume the gondi evac practice was unrelated to the power outage, but it left some questions for everyone sitting in the dark lodge, waiting for a/any lift to open.

The only time I've ever thought it would be OK to take a picture in a public restroom. Made sure no one else was around. They had those little lanterns everywhere in the lodge, but you still needed a phone flashlight or other personal light source.

Skies cleared for the first chair at 10:30ish.

This group really made the day, including JD and a couple avid SJ lurkers. 

Didn't capture any real action. Here's a narrow section below midstation lodge, which I learned may be in jeopardy with the new developments. I tried to embed the video, which seemed to work in the editor, but not once published.

The West Branch of the Ausable was ripping! We'll be back in the Whiteface lot to fly fish once the water gets to a manageable level.

Jeremy has a much better selection of photos from the day. I was too distracted by the skiing.