Canyons now Park City

from the AP:  PARK CITY, Utah (AP) -- Two neighboring Utah ski resorts owned by Vail Resorts and being combined into one mega resort will be known simply by the name of the mountain city where it is located: "Park City."

Park City chief operating officer Bill Rock announced the new name and logo in front of several hundred people who munched on hors d'oeuvres during a public presentation at the resort. Rock said the new brand name seizes on the international recognition for the city.

"When people are out in the world and they talk about where they are going to ski, they say 'I'm going to go ski in Park City,'" Rock said. "The town is just an integral party of what we do."

The resort combines Canyons Resort and Park City Mountain Resort, which Vail purchased last year for $182.5 million. The logo features the red color used in the Park City Mountain logo and the infinity sign from the Canyons logo.

Though all the signs say only "Park City," Rock said the official name of the mega resort will be Park City Mountain Resort. The Canyons name will be sticking around only in signage on that side of the mountain that will say, "Park City Canyons Village."

The joining of the resorts will allow Vail, a ski industry titan, to market it as one of the largest ski areas in North America.

Source

Comments

• Wow, that place is unbelievably huge (and expensive)!!! :-O
    - Sam
  • Canyons started out as Park West.
  • So the number of ski areas just got one smaller.
  • The new gondola between the two (now one) is looking pretty cool.  At one point cabins will be ~300 feet above the ground.

• edited September 2015
    Vail manages Park City and Canyons terrain for Talisker.  Vail owns only (500?) or so acres at the base and lower elevations of the acerage at PCMR, the remainder owned by Talisker (2500?).  So there are still two major owners of the former PCMR as well as a few other owners of property at the base. Trying to confirm acerage, some tax records not loading.
  • Interesting one half is American-styled and the other half is European-styled towers.  How hard could it be to source all American? It's not like there's boatloads of towers ... only 27.
  • obienick said:

Interesting one half is American-styled and the other half is European-styled towers.  How hard could it be to source all American? It's not like there's boatloads of towers ... only 27.

obienick said:

My guess is that it had to do with when Park City Resort got the final approval for this project (early June if I recall correctly) and what Dopp/Ctec already had manufactured at their worldwide plants in large sized towers.  While I'm sure that Vail Resorts had had plenty of discussions with Dopp/Ctec about this gondola, and the other lift work they're doing on the Park City side this summer,  I'm guessing that they didn't go full out crazy with the manufacturing in their Utah plant ahead of time until this big project was fully a done deal.  And when it was a done deal, it was going to be quicker to ship some tower components from all of Dopp's worldwide manufacturing facilities, thus allowing more parts to be built simultaneously, than manufacturer them all in one facility over a likely longer time.  Vail Resorts probably also had some guarantee from Dopp that this new, likely signature lift will be fully operational for a certain date early in the season with possibly some financial penalty if they don't meet that deadline