Meet the Skier Who’s Logged 6.4 Million Feet of Vertical This Season

edited May 18 in NELSAP Forum
I feel like such an underachiever....

A friend of a friend met him last weekend at Kpeak. Scott Howard.

I don't know how to look up Dylan P. & Joe O. numbers.
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• Excessive dedication.  

Not for me but I was thinking that I didn't get enough quantity vs quality this past season.  Going to change that a little next season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • Ditto...I hope... if you read any part of that article make sure you read the last line.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Scott H. is the a friend of mine who came to Crotched and took 143 runs on the Rocket and logged 131K vertical in one day.  That was his biggest vertical day of the season.

Scott H. is #1 at 6576.4K.
    Joe O. is #24 at 2433.6 K.
    Dylan P. is #11 at 3176.2K.
    and yours truly is #16 at 3085.6K.

Pretty sure all 4 will be adding to that total before the app resets on June 1.
  • I got approximately 156,000’ with skiing on avg a 400’ hill. So I am pretty happy with that.
  • edited May 19

Scott H. is the a friend of mine who came to Crotched and took 143 runs on the Rocket and logged 131K vertical in one day.  That was his biggest vertical day of the season.

Don't forget Bruce at #3!

I'm glad I was able to ski some of your vertical with you today, Joshua. It is always a pleasure.
  • edited May 19
    marcski said:

Scott H. is the a friend of mine who came to Crotched and took 143 runs on the Rocket and logged 131K vertical in one day.  That was his biggest vertical day of the season.

Don't forget Bruce at #2!

I'm glad I was able to ski some of your vertical with you today, Joshua. It is always a pleasure.
    I didn't forget Bruce, but ski_it asked specifically about the CM  skiers who are on the leaderboard. BTW: Scott's one day at CM put him in 10th place for the CM  skiers who participated in the Trace app.

Good skiing with you, marcski.  I mentioned it on the Killington report.
  • Thanks for filling in the blanks Joshua and wow, those are some impressive numbers.
  • Treilly said:

I got approximately 156,000’ with skiing on avg a 400’ hill. So I am pretty happy with that.

If that was a single day, I'm impressed.  If that was the entire season...
  • Treilly said:

I got approximately 156,000’ with skiing on avg a 400’ hill. So I am pretty happy with that.

If that was a single day, I'm impressed.  If that was the entire season...
    No that is with 15 trips. My personal best is 16,000 feet in one day at Crystal Mtn in Michigan. It’s a 350’ hill. I made 67 runs
  • Pretty impressive, especially given, well, he ain't no spring chicken! And his comment on Stowe is spot on. I skied Stowe in early April and quickly and easily bagged 35k which for me me is a lot.

I want to ski more, I want ski a lot - certainly north of 100 days - sometime soon. But what he is doing is not even remotely in the thought process. Kind of like I want to climb some mountains too, but I not doing Everest!
  • At my rate this year it would have taken 243 days of skiing to get what Scott got in 170 days. I got 55k in 2 days :)  Bravo Scott and all the other hard chargers, including Joshua.  Really phenomenal, and inspiring.
  • I met Scott this past weekend at Killington. He is quite impressive.  As is our resident vertical champ, Joshua. They make me really wish for good health lasting into retirement.  :)

• edited May 22
    At my rate this year it would have taken 13 YEARS of skiing to get what Scott got in 170 days.
  • This guy must be a little bit of a sadist. I wouldn't want to do it, but I am about the same age and physically what he is doing is very impressive. He must be one tough mudder to relentlessly keep racking up the massive miles/hours of ski time and not have body parts start breaking down. I don't care if he's skiing Great Eastern every run; that much vertical in one season is just a lot of time bouncing on your feet for months in a row! For those who know him, when not in groomer-zoomer mode does he have double black diamond skills and/or a ski racing background?

I salute Joshua for even being in the same vertical-feet conversation!
  • edited May 22
    JimK said:

This guy must be a little bit of a sadist. I wouldn't want to do it, but I am about the same age and physically what he is doing is very impressive. He must be one tough mudder to relentlessly keep racking up the massive miles/hours of ski time and not have body parts start breaking down. I don't care if he's skiing Great Eastern every run; that much vertical in one season is just a lot of time bouncing on your feet for months in a row! For those who know him, when not in groomer-zoomer mode does he have double black diamond skills and/or a ski racing background?

I salute Joshua for even being in the same vertical-feet conversation!

I suspect you meant masochist - not sadist - but I wouldn't say that.  Driven is a better description - and JimK: Thanks for the shout out but Scott H. is no spring chicken either at age 65. I don't know if he has a racing background, but yes, he is a solid double black skilled skier - and he skis in control.
  • edited May 23
    Thanks.  Meant masochist, but respectfully :-)