Maple Valley SOLD

Maple Valley has finally found a new owner according to an article in the Brattleboro Reformer. The new owner is a Hartford lawyer with a love for skiing per his Insta. Should be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple years.

Comments

• Dad??
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • https://vtdigger.org/2018/05/25/maple-valley-ski-area-dummerston-sells-745k/ $745,000 is not too bad for a place that sat idle since before the iPhone or Windows XP for that matter!
  • He seems like a good guy from the little I've heard so far. Hoping for another MIke @ Tenney scenario.
    - Sam
  • I read the article and he sounds like he has good ideas. What bothered me was the local residents are not happy campers about it being returned to any use at all: In 2011, MVS Associates, based in Stamford, Conn., and represented by Nicholas Mercede, proposed a four-season resort at the former ski area. In addition to skiing, Mercede proposed a long list of possible activities including mountain biking, hiking, paint ball, foliage viewing, archery camps, antique car shows, dances and movies. However, the Dummerston Development Review Board ruled the application did not have enough details for it to make a decision. In 2013, Mercede returned to the DRB with a revised application, but he was met with resistance from neighbors who were concerned about noise and lighting. "This isn't a business community anymore," said neighbor, Judy Placey. "This is a residential community. People live in these houses. And these lights affect us, and this noise affects us." I hope he has the plans to overcome this. After all it's his property. We had something similar in Montpelier. There's a big stretch of land to the east of the town center called Sabin's Pasture. It's privately owned but people freely trespassed on it as a park and nature hiking. The owner started to plan to develop it into housing and everyone freaked out. A group wanted to buy it but at an embarrassingly low price and now it is in limbo.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • He seems like a good guy from the little I've heard so far. Hoping for another MIke @ Tenney scenario.
    Okay, that can’t be dad
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA