Killington K1 Gondola

Why is Killington changing the haul rope on the K1 gondi?

Comments

• Probably for the new cabins
    - Sam
  • TomWhite said:

Why is Killington changing the haul rope on the K1 gondi?

The haul ropes stretch over time, to the point that the tension system cannot bring it back into compliance. Especially on a lift that sees significant hourly use per year like K-1. I wouldn't be surprised if the rope was replaced already once since the lift went in in 97.
  • Thanks, it could be a both-and. Of course cables stretch. I remember within a year of building the Challenger Triple, Mt. Snow had to cut off about 20’ off the haul rope. There was a photo of a bulldozer being used. I think it was in the Spring of the ski season.
  • The 2 main issues for haul rope replacement are 1) Loss of metallic cross section area (usually a certain number of broken wires in a given length) and 2) Loss of more than 6% of the nominal diameter- this would create issues with the grip clamping on the rope.
  • The weight of the cabins & their size/exposure to the wind would accelerate stretching.
    At Crotched they took 20 feet out of the valley quad a year after replacing the rope a few years back. On the other hand the (1959?) Hall double is still reportedly running under its original rope - but a new drive.
  • My understanding is that it's pretty typical to have to shorten the haul rope a year or so after it's installed. Eventually they have too many broken wires and have to be replaced.