Ski Areas within Major US Cities.

Comments

• JimK said:

Oops. Just realized Wheeling doesn't fit the definition of 100k city per OP. The MSA (metro statistical area) of Wheeling is ~150k, but that opens another can of worms about cities.

No can of worms. If someone want to open that thread, go for it!

I'll do another summary a bit later, but a few notes:

Albany, NY is just under 100K population.

My google read on Providence to Yawgoo is 26.4 miles.

Another addition: Yonkers, NY (103): Same as NYC:
    You just have to modify the route.image
    image.jpeg
    2035 x 1144 - 421K
    - Sam
  • Here's the proof for Pat's Peakimage
    image.jpeg
    2024 x 1140 - 376K
    - Sam
  • Sam and others: Most reasonable people are not going to search out such a route to find a sub-25 mile way to a ski area. My conclusions for the variety of places that we are arguing about is based on no tweaking. As I have suggested, you are free to write your own summary list and can include in it whatever you want.
  • Sam and others: Most reasonable people are not going to search out such a route to find a sub-25 mile way to a ski area. My conclusions for the variety of places that we are arguing about is based on no tweaking. As I have suggested, you are free to write your own summary list and can include in it whatever you want.

It's your choice because it's your topic, but I think that many of us took 25 miles to mean that there is a route which is that distance or less, even if it isn't the very fastest route.
    - Sam
  • This reminds me of playing various games with my kids when they were a bit younger (they're 6 now). Some how the rules seem to change in the fly.
  • edited June 16
    > @joshua_segal said:
    > Most reasonable people are not going to search out such a route to find a sub-25 mile way to a ski area.

Yeah, it's totally unreasonable to find the shortest way to get to your destination.
    I'm out.
  • This is just about the most ridiculous thread de-rail I have ever seen. Distance is distance, so if it says 24.8, then so be it. I also declare the dress to be blue and black, I hear "yanni", and where we go in the winter to ski is a ski area, not a "place to ski". Done. Moving on to reading other threads and wishing this one well.
  • Four more ski areas within 25 miles of downtown Pittsburgh, all lost. Wildwood Highlands, Sno Zone, Willowbrook, and near Kinlock, PA just under 25 miles from Pittsburgh and long lost, the trails with snowmaking and rope tows at the also lost Golf Oasis, a driving range.
  • We might not want to do all of the lost areas within 25 miles of a city, because that would be a very, very long list, even just for Boston.
    - Sam
  • We might not want to do all of the lost areas within 25 miles of a city, because that would be a very, very long list, even just for Boston.

Sam is right. Let's try it this way with lost areas. If it's the only one we can find with a city, we'll list it. If there are multiples, we'll just say "along with a number of other lost areas".
  • edited June 18
    Sixth update:

Ski Areas Within Major Cities (100K+ population)
    New York City, NY (1): Van Cortland Park (lost)
    Philadelphia, PA (6): Walnut Hill (lost)
    Colorado Springs, CO (42): Broadmoor Hotel (lost)
    Minneapolis, MN (46): Buck Hill
    Anchorage AK (67): Alyeska
    Anchorage AK (67): Hilltop Ski Area
    Manchester, NH:(263): McIntyre

Ski areas within 25 miles of a major city (100K population)
    New York, NY (1): Morgan's Farm (lost)
    Philadephia, PA (6): Pine Hill, NJ (lost)
    Philadephia, PA (6): Wissahickon Ski Club
    Cleveland, OH (51): Boston Mills/Brandywine
    Boston, MA (21): Blue Hills
    Boston, MA (21): Many lost areas
    Detroit, MI (23): Alpine Valley
    Detroit, MI (23). Riverview Highlands AKA Mt. Trashmore (lost)
    Saint Paul, MN (63): Buck Hill
    Pittsburgh, PA (65): Boyce Park
    Pittsburgh, PA (65): many lost areas
    Buffalo, NY (81): Buffalo Ski Club
    Reno, NV (86): Mt. Rose
    Reno, NV (86); Sky Tavern ski area
    Reno, NV (86); Tannenbaum ski area (lost)
    Boise, ID (98): Bogus Basin
    Yonkers, NY (113): Same as NYC
    Grand Rapids, MI (119): Cannonsburg Ski Area
    Providence, RI (137) Diamond Hill (lost)
    Providence, RI (137) Ski Valley (lost)
    Springfield, MA (165): Blandford
    Springfield, MA (165): Mt. Tom (lost)
    Worcester, MA (132), Mt. Wachusett.
    Worcester, MA (132): Ski Ward,
    Ontario, CA (145): Mt Baldy
    Paterson, NJ (174): Campgaw
    Syracuse, NY (184): Camillus Ski Hill
    Syracuse, NY (184): Cazenovia Ski Club
    Syracuse, NY (184): Drumlins (lost)
    Syracuse, NY (184): Four Seasons
    Syracuse, NY (184): Skaneateles Ski Club
    Syracuse, NY (184): Song Mountain
    Syracuse, NY (184): Toggenburg
    Syracuse, NY (184): a number of lost areas
    Hartford, CT (222): Mt. Southington
    Hartford, CT (222): Powder Ridge
    Hartford, CT (222): Ski Sundown
    Allentown, PA (231): Apple Hill (Lost)
    Allentown, PA (231): Bear Creek
    Allentown, PA (231): Blue Mountain
    Cambridge, MA (252): Blue Hills
    Cambridge, MA (252): Nashoba Valley
    Lowell, MA (262): Bradford
    Lowell, MA (262): Gateway Hills, NH
    Lowell, MA (262): Nashoba
    Manchester, NH (263): Gateway Hills

Suspect there are a few others near Buffalo, NY (81) -
    probably some near Rochester, NY (110) also.

Got more?
  • Labrador would qualify from the edge of Syracuse city limit.
    ~Rich~
  • > @ADKskier said:
    > Labrador would qualify from the edge of Syracuse city limit.

So would Song Mountain, the lost Ironwood Ridge, and the open Skaneateles Ski Club.

Pretty sure the Cazenovia Ski Club, the lost Mystic Mountain, and the lost Intermont are beyond the 25 mile radius from Syracuse, however.
  • ADKskier said:

Labrador would qualify from the edge of Syracuse city limit.

We already decided that we are doing the distance from the city center.
    - Sam
  • If ever a list represented snowjournal, this is it. ;)

So true and I've skied 12 of em.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Campgaw Ski Area is 12 miles from Paterson, NJ.
  • Paterson, NJ (174): Campgaw

I show Syracuse to Labrador as just over 25

These are edited into the last summary

It sure has generated a lot of traffic and controversy - but that's good. We need stuff like this to keep the stoke going!
  • Paterson, NJ (174): Campgaw

I was able to find a route to Labrador that is 24.9. I don't understand why that shouldn't count, it's under 25 miles from the city center via a road, so why doesn't that meet the criteria? Same thing with Pat's Peak
    - Sam
  • edited June 18

I was able to find a route to Labrador that is 24.9. I don't understand why that shouldn't count, it's under 25 miles from the city center via a road, so why doesn't that meet the criteria? Same thing with Pat's Peak
    There are a half-dozen borderline areas that have caused a lot of discussion - in a couple of cases anger, among the participants. I'm attempting to be consistent.

In retrospect, I should have gone with "less than an X minute drive based on best route offered by googlemaps from city center", but I didn't. I live 84 miles from Killington by the back roads and 104 via I-89. Yet both ways take me 2-hours. I'm sure the sub-25 mile ways that were conjured up to get the distances under 25 miles would take longer than the routes chosen by googlemaps.
  • edited June 18

There are a half-dozen borderline areas that have caused a lot of discussion - in a couple of cases anger, among the participants. I'm attempting to be consistent.

In retrospect, I should have gone with "less than an X minute drive based on best route offered by googlemaps from city center", but I didn't. I live 84 miles from Killington by the back roads and 104 via I-89. Yet both ways take me 2-hours. I'm sure the sub-25 mile ways that were conjured up to get the distances under 25 miles would take longer than the routes chosen by googlemaps.
    I understand it now, it was meant to be more a measure of time rather than actual distance.
    - Sam
  • This makes me think of a new thread, Cities with most ski areas within 30 miles :D :p
    ~Rich~
  • how about ski areas within National Forests instead?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ADKskier said:

This makes me think of a new thread, Cities with most ski areas within 30 miles :D :p

ski_it said:

how about ski areas within National Forests instead?

We need threads to keep the stoke going over the summer. By all means: start the threads! But if you do 30 miles, specify your parameters at the start of the thread better than I did with this one!

And, perhaps both National Forests and State Forests for the other thread.
  • Please let it end. Get out and take pictures of areas for "guess this" threads, rather than spawn feverish discussions over the merits of Google Maps vs Mapquest. Or make a good trail design challenge, or pics of summer projects at resorts. That's the stoke I am accustomed to here.

• In retrospect, I should have gone with "less than an X minute drive based on best route offered by googlemaps from city center", but I didn't. I live 84 miles from Killington by the back roads and 104 via I-89. Yet both ways take me 2-hours. I'm sure the sub-25 mile ways that were conjured up to get the distances under 25 miles would take longer than the routes chosen by googlemaps.

Google maps isn't always the shortest or fastest way to get somewhere. They tend to stick to the "main" roads. Interstate, state roads, county roads, local roads, in that order.
    I often modify the google maps route to a faster route. This is even more true at times of high traffic.
  • Please let it end. Get out and take pictures of areas for "guess this" threads, rather than spawn feverish discussions over the merits of Google Maps vs Mapquest. Or make a good trail design challenge, or pics of summer projects at resorts. That's the stoke I am accustomed to here.

LOL, I spit my coffee laughing at "Please let it end" :D . What did ever happen to trail design challenges, we haven't had one in a while.
    ~Rich~
  • How about a thread to help NELSAP out? Find as many photos as we can of lost areas for the website? Spread the power of the research. Helped the USN find a secret PLAN sub base with some folks on Google Earth turning it up.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bmwskier said:

How about a thread to help NELSAP out? Find as many photos as we can of lost areas for the website? Spread the power of the research. Helped the USN find a secret PLAN sub base with some folks on Google Earth turning it up.

Go for it!