Ski Areas in Unincorporated Townships

We have a (very controversial) thread about ski areas in, or near cities, so why not the opposite? What ski areas have at least some skiable acreage that is in an unincorporated area (not a town)?

The first that comes to my mind is Wildcat, which is located in Pinkham's Grant and Bean's Purchase.
- Sam

Comments

• Oh boy, here we go. Like probably the majority of the ones in the country! My Google maps seems to be broken so m staying out of this one. :#
  • Oh boy, here we go. Like probably the majority of the ones in the country! My Google maps seems to be broken so m staying out of this one. :#

I'm not sure how towns work out west, so maybe we should stick to the East & Midwest, unless people want to include the West.
    - Sam
  • edited June 21
    The top of Oz and most of Jordan at Sunday River are in Riley Twp, ME
    Much of the Sunset trail at Loon is in Livermore, NH
    Teton Village, WY is a census designated place. Sounds pretty unincorporated for JHole
    The bottom of Snow King next door it in Jackson, but the top is in unincorporated USFS land.

• I am surprised that I never heard of Buel's Gore before, especially considering how fast it is growing. Population has more than doubled in the 10 years between census.
  • In college, we had to prepare a weather forecast for the campus Weatherphone for NE VT, and they encouraged us to reference local towns and landmarks. As a bit of a joke, we would say "If you're heading up to Avery's Gore today, bring a light jacket" or "Watch out for 1-2" of snow near Buel's Gore" I wish I had those recordings...
  • They used to call a gore a surveyor's mistake. Maybe they still do. It's a piece of land where property lines or town lines don't meet. There are several in Northern New England. In Webster, Mass., a town formed from parts of Oxford and Dudley in the early 1800s, there is a section called the Gore, just east of Lake Chargoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. (This really doesn't shed any light on the rest of this topic. I just wanted to see whether the website could handle the name of the lake. It also gives NELSAPpers a change to learn how to pronounce the name. I'm sure you'll all jump at the chance. With the ski season ended, what else do you have to do? Just take it slowly).
  • edited June 21
    Whaleback, while listed in Enfield, may be in Montcalm.

Montcalm is an unincorporated community inside the town of Enfield according to the google.

Of course, it may be in Purmort too. I could not find property maps online.

The names for exits 15 and 16 off I89 were chosen to dissuade those trying to get to the Enfield town center from using them.
  • Bill29 said:

They used to call a gore a surveyor's mistake. Maybe they still do. It's a piece of land where property lines or town lines don't meet. There are several in Northern New England. In Webster, Mass., a town formed from parts of Oxford and Dudley in the early 1800s, there is a section called the Gore, just east of Lake Chargoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. (This really doesn't shed any light on the rest of this topic. I just wanted to see whether the website could handle the name of the lake. It also gives NELSAPpers a change to learn how to pronounce the name. I'm sure you'll all jump at the chance. With the ski season ended, what else do you have to do? Just take it slowly).

GORE Mountain says HI!
  • Bill29 said:

They used to call a gore a surveyor's mistake. Maybe they still do. It's a piece of land where property lines or town lines don't meet. There are several in Northern New England. In Webster, Mass., a town formed from parts of Oxford and Dudley in the early 1800s, there is a section called the Gore, just east of Lake Chargoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. (This really doesn't shed any light on the rest of this topic. I just wanted to see whether the website could handle the name of the lake. It also gives NELSAPpers a change to learn how to pronounce the name. I'm sure you'll all jump at the chance. With the ski season ended, what else do you have to do? Just take it slowly).

No problem...Lake Webster
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski it, obviously you didn't just fall off the turnip truck. That's perfect pronunciation. That's the answer many people from Webster (and Dudley, next door) give when they're tired of people asking them how to pronounce the longer name. Mostly it gets a laugh. BTW, have you ever been there?
  • tedede said:

Whaleback, while listed in Enfield, may be in Montcalm.

Montcalm is an unincorporated community inside the town of Enfield according to the google.

Of course, it may be in Purmort too. I could not find property maps online.

The names for exits 15 and 16 off I89 were chosen to dissuade those trying to get to the Enfield town center from using them.

Whaleback doesn't count because both of those villages are part of the town of Enfield.
    - Sam
  • edited June 21
    Okay, let's summarize what we have so far.

Ski Areas in Unincorporated Areas
    - Wildcat: Pinkham's Grant, NH & Bean's Purchase, NH
    - Mad River Glen: Buel's Gore, VT
    - Sunday River: Riley Township, ME
    - Loon: Livermore, NH

I'm sure there must be more.
    - Sam

• Whaleback doesn't count because both of those villages are part of the town of Enfield.

Fair enough, your thread. Not sure why you're counting MRG, SR, and Loon as they are "in" incorporated areas.
  • edited June 21
    tedede said:

Whaleback doesn't count because both of those villages are part of the town of Enfield.

Fair enough, your thread. Not sure why you're counting MRG, SR, and Loon as they are "in" incorporated areas.
    We are looking for ski areas which are at least partially in unincorporated areas. All three of those areas are partially within a town, but are also partially in unincorporated area which are not part of any organized town. Montcalm and Purmont are different because while they are not incorporated as towns themselves, they are part of the incorporated town of Enfield.
    - Sam
  • Saddleback is Dallas Plantation. Plantations in Maine are a hybrid between unincorporated township and incorporated town. Call it as you see it ;-)
    Big Squaw is in Big Moose Township
    Dixville with its notch and Balsams is an unincorporated township.
    The top of Mt. Snow is in unincorporated Somerset.

I believe that makes an exhaustive list for New England. Southern New England has no unincorporated areas. Did notice while poking around that Bretton Woods is in two counties.
  • Saddleback is Dallas Plantation. Plantations in Maine are a hybrid between unincorporated township and incorporated town. Call it as you see it ;-)
    Big Squaw is in Big Moose Township
    Dixville with its notch and Balsams is an unincorporated township.
    The top of Mt. Snow is in unincorporated Somerset.

I believe that makes an exhaustive list for New England. Southern New England has no unincorporated areas. Did notice while poking around that Bretton Woods is in two counties.

Hmmmm, that's a tough one. After reading this definition, http://maineanencyclopedia.com/plantations/, I think Dallas does count because it is not really incorporated as a town, it just has a very limited local government. Anyone disagree?
    - Sam