New England's Most Underrated Ski areas.

Figured I start a new topic to get away from google maps.

Gotta go with Magic here.
~Rich~

Comments

• I would add Berkshire East...but...what is the definition of underrated? Both Magic and Berkshire East are well regarded among us SJ regulars. Underrated by the general public?

• I would add Pico and Smuggs
  • I don't know how we can really judge this topic because most ski areas can be underrated in one way or another.
    - Sam
  • edited June 20
    It can be opinion based, don't think too hard about it. Overlooked by general public, lack of accolades, frowned upon by skiers you know "I wont ski that mountain" and again opinion based. Lets not turn this thread into more than what it is.
    ~Rich~
  • Middlebury Snow Bowl. Overlooked by visitors. Very much a locals mountain. I've never been there where I haven't run into anyone I know. No crowds. No lines. Good terrain. Reasonably priced. Food by the Waybury Inn. Proud new season passholder here!
  • > @NewEnglandSkier13 said:
    > I don't know how we can really judge this topic because most ski areas can be underrated in one way or another.

I’d say places that just don’t garner much regional or national attention or are in the shadow of the well-known resorts.
  • I'd definitely go with Betsy about Middlebury for this one. Been there twice, had a great time, no crowds, good food, nice views and interesting mountain lay out. There's enough terrain to make it interesting and a lot of hidden areas as well.

My heart screams to say something nice about Bolton for this, but I can't. I like skiing there, the people are friendly and welcoming but the terrain just kinda falls flat pretty quickly. Having night skiing makes it unique in Vermont but it's not an area that I would go out of my way to spend a day exploring.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • I'm going with Mount Abram.
  • Despite the obvious strong collection of Crotched Mtn. skiers on this forum, the absence of lift lines, even on weekends and holidays, is powerful evidence that most skiers are unaware of what Crotched has to offer.

Both BMOM and Black Mtn. of NH are in the underrated category.

I certainly agree with the earlier poster who suggested Middlebury.
  • I'd say that both Whaleback and Dartmouth Skiway are underrated.
    - Sam
  • Mount Ellen/Sugarbush North: Great mountain smack in the middle of two legendary ski resorts. Some of the longest continuous runs in the Northeast. Great steeps, Underrated tree skiing, Very efficient lift setup, mid mountain lodge, direct access to another fantastic ski area, and home of the most ideal late season setup (if not for the investment at Lincoln Peak)
  • 25 - 30 yrs ago the late season (April) Marker binding festivals were held on the upper part of Glen Ellen/Sugarbush North.
  • edited June 21

Despite the obvious strong collection of Crotched Mtn. skiers on this forum, the absence of lift lines, even on weekends and holidays, is powerful evidence that most skiers are unaware of what Crotched has to offer.

I live less than 30 minutes from Crotched, yet still meet skiers in town that don't know it's open. It's better now, but even 5 years ago it was 50/50.