Happy July 4th, everyone!! Does the countdown for the...

....start of the 2018/2019 ski season begin now?? 😏

That being said, have a wonderful holiday, everyone! Spend lotsa time with family and friends and give thanks to God for our freedom. Way too many in this world don’t have it.

IBRAKE

Comments

• ....start of the 2018/2019 ski season begin now?? 😏

That being said, have a wonderful holiday, everyone! Spend lotsa time with family and friends and give thanks to God for our freedom. Way too many in this world don’t have it.

IBRAKE

Aug. 8 is the day that for most ski area calendars is the day we are closer to the next season than to last season.

A friend of mine posted video of him at Mount Washington yesterday, so for a few, 2017-8 season isn't over yet!
  • I agree, the 2017-2018 season isn’t over until the start of August
    - Sam
  • Still a pile at Waterville!
  • FWIW, I count my ski days October through September. The one season that I managed to ski year round I figured my July turns (tux), and Aug/Sep turns (Timberline Lodge), were on the previous years snow. Timberline closed 9/1 that season, reopening sometime in October, as usual, snow permitting. When I skied Killington in October, it was on the new seasons snow. Damn,
    I need to do that again. Happy 4th all!
  • The TraceSnow App counts the next season as June 1 to May 31, but it includes the southern hemispere, so considering the 6 month phase difference, they count the southern hemispere as June 1 to Nov. 30 and the northern hemisphere from December 1 to May 31.

October/November skiing fits well with the northern hemisphere, but June skiing does not.

Regarding skiing every month, one of my fellow instructors at CM just logged his 94th consecutive month (July 2018 at Mount Washington) in which he has made turns on the snow. August and Sept. he picks up at Mt. Hood. Once or twice, he needed to fill in a month with Zamboni tailings.
  • I had 129 consecutive months, October '94 to June '05 (I started the year A-basin went to August).
  • one of my fellow instructors at CM just logged his 94th consecutive month (July 2018 at Mount Washington) in which he has made turns on the snow. August and Sept. he picks up at Mt. Hood. Once or twice, he needed to fill in a month with Zamboni tailings.

Eventually we might be able to help him out here in New Jersey, with our $8 Billion (so far) ski slope, if it ever opens. Would save some travel costs!

• one of my fellow instructors at CM just logged his 94th consecutive month (July 2018 at Mount Washington) in which he has made turns on the snow. August and Sept. he picks up at Mt. Hood. Once or twice, he needed to fill in a month with Zamboni tailings.

Eventually we might be able to help him out here in New Jersey, with our $8 Billion (so far) ski slope, if it ever opens. Would save some travel costs!

Yeah! On the mountain - a stem cristie; in NJ - a Chris Christie
  • flbski said:

I had 129 consecutive months, October '94 to June '05 (I started the year A-basin went to August).

That's pretty cool. Did you do it all in North America or did that include some southern hemisphere activity?
  • Don’t forget that there is also summer skiing at Powder Ridge
    - Sam
  • I've skied in July before so it never counts as the beginning of next season for me. I think October-September is a the most valid North America month markers for season.
  • In my world the season starts as soon as the first skiable snow arrives after the snow from the previous season is melted away. September is usually the month that Mt. Washington might get enough snow on the summit for some of the observers up there can get first turns.
  • All in the west........hiking up the various snow fields in the summer, mostly in Colorado.......St. Mary's glacier many times, Boreas Pass near Breckenridge, Independence Pass near Aspen, Corona/Rollins Pass near Winter Park, Snowy Range Pass WY, Timberline Lodge in OR on my 50th.......