Thoughts and Plans About Our Forum from Jeremy (NELSAP)

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 184

Hi everybody,

First, I would like to personally thank Chris Bradford for all of his help over the years. Chris was one of the first people I met working on NELSAP back when I was in college, 17 years ago. 15 years ago he started Snowjournal and offered to create a forum on there for NELSAP enthusiasts. In the last decade and a half, this forum remained an advertisement free, easy to use, and fun place for all of us to meet and share topics about ski history. I have met many of you from Snowjournal, and those of you I haven't met I have enjoyed speaking to. Although my own time lately has been reduced, I read the site everyday and look forward to your trip reports and your musings about the ski industry. I often learn of ski related news first here on SJ. None of this would have been possible without Chris' generosity!

As Chris mentioned, running a website can be very time consuming and expensive. For those of us who run free, informative sites, there is little money to be made. Expenses easily exceed income that we get from small ads, sales of goods, or small donations. Changing a site to a paid format rarely succeeds.

But the result of all of this hard work and expense is an amazing ski community. I don't want to see that lost!

There are many other excellent forums out there, and all have their own perspectives. I'd like to keep ours together if at all possible in one way or another.

I have been speaking to Chris and others about a way to reinvent a discussion forum, either on a migrated/new Snowjournal, on a forum hosting website, or on another ski related website. Some of you have already stepped up to the plate. So I'm confident that we will find a way.

Please stay tuned to the board as we find a solution in the next few weeks. Don't disappear yet!

I'll also post updates on our Facebook page: NELSAP Facebook Page

Thank you all for your support over the years,

JD

Comments

• ChrisChris intermediate
    Yes indeed ... I am hopeful the community will live on and I will certainly participate if it does. Thanks Jeremy for your efforts as well!

Test

snowmountaintrailmap9091.jpg
    320 x 184 - 27K
    Yay!!!! Snow Journal 2.0!!!
    - Sam
  • MissDaEastMissDaEast intermediate
    edited May 2015 Posts: 56
    I'm in! You can't get rid of me that easily.

Thanks, Admin., for doing this!!!!!!!!!!!
  • abubobabubob advanced
    I'll play! 
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    Thanks!!!
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    I was a little concerned about the migration to a new forum. But then I saw Teh Haps and I realized everything was going to be okay.

:-bd
    riverc0il said:

I was a little concerned about the migration to a new forum. But then I saw Teh Haps and I realized everything was going to be okay.

Agreed! :D
    - Sam
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Awesome job! Can't wait to see what everyone has to say! Kudos to Chris and the new admin. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 938
    riverc0il said:

But is this "the EXTRAVANGANZA?"
    I'm in - where do we donate?
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced

We'll miss you Chris, no wait... We'll still see you every week at Crotched.

Is it too early to start asking for WiFi  II on the summit?

Many thanks for many years of distractions when I was tied to a desk.  

• abubobabubob advanced
    Will there be a links page? Especially one to NELSAP.com
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    I made it over, not bad for a lurker.

• MissDaEastMissDaEast intermediate
    Why is my name and "sign out" all blurry at the top of my Home page?
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I finally clicked on Old Snowjournal and got Page Not Found!
    mapnut said:

I finally clicked on Old Snowjournal and got Page Not Found!

1.0 is gone! :(( Time for 2.0! :)]
    - Sam
  • mtsnow100mtsnow100 intermediate
    edited May 2015 Posts: 22
    I am glad the forum lives. I may have not posted much in the past 8 years at the old site but life got in the way. Now that I told life to move I will be more active again. Including skiing which I missed due to that darn life thing.
    mtsnow100 said:

I am glad the forum lives. I may have not posted much in the past 8 years at the old site but life got in the way. Now that I told life to move I will be more active again. Including skiing which I missed due to that darn life thing.

"Darn Life Thing" ;)) Agreed!
    - Sam