Which is Mad River Glen closer to:

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 887
Sugarbush or Stowe? Is it possible to pick out a path to ski between them

For some reason northern Vermont is calling my name this winter!

IBRAKE

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    It's just a few miles from Sugarbush North (Glen Ellen) - about 40 from Stowe.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Hard to ski from Mad River to M Ellen though it does look tempting along the Long Trail. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,605

Yeah the Long Trail goes from Lincoln Peak to Mt Ellen, Bolton Valley and Stowe. And why stop there? Continue north to Jay where you can ski up hill on Jay's Vermonter ski trail which is on Long Trail.

I don't recommend you try any section on alpine skis, unless it is down the Vermonter.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    There is a way to get from Smuggs to Stowe though. TeighS would know better about it. That's his stomping ground. If you want to do some connector stuff, try Slidebrook at Sugarbush. Goes between MEllen and Lincoln Peak. Another good area when it's fully open is Middlebury Snowbowl as well. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    yes, it is possible to ski from MRG to Mt Ellen.. on the Long Trail. It's a slog though.

Stowe to Smuggs is mucho easier though!
  • steamboat1steamboat1 advanced
    edited May 2015 Posts: 250

yes, it is possible to ski from MRG to Mt Ellen.. on the Long Trail. It's a slog though.

There were plans to connect Mad River Glen & Mt. Ellen at one time. They even cut a lift line which is still visible to the right of the Inverness chair. From what I understand after they cut the lift line they found out Mt. Ellen neither owned nor had a lease for the land the cut was made on so the plan was scrubbed.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    edited May 2015 Posts: 297

There were plans to connect Mad River Glen & Mt. Ellen at one time. They even cut a lift line which is still visible to the right of the Inverness chair. From what I understand after they cut the lift line they found out Mt. Ellen neither owned nor had a lease for the land the cut was made on so the plan was scrubbed.
    Yes, visible from satellite, not to the naked eye though. It has grown  up a LOT in the last 35 years.. I tried to find it a while ago, spent a lot of time up in the woods above Inverness, but to no avail.  See link and look just north and up of the top of the Inverness lift top station (just above the Brambles trail)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Warren,+VT/@44.1803837,-72.9171998,1757m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cb5132a1042b057:0x852bee7ee0cca489!6m1!1e1
    So, that line would take a skier up to the top and then there'd be a trail connecting to Catamount? Be a great way to get to MRG but doesn't look like there'd be a way to get back other than the bus. 
    Greg Stump
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    It is possible to ski downhill from MRG to Mt. Ellen, you just have to know where you are going so you don't get caught on the wrong side of the drainage.

Way I heard it, the owners of Glen Ellen started clearing land and after cutting down the trees found out the top was on Betsy's (Owner of MRG) land.  At that point she was so upset that there was no way she was going to grant them use of her property.