Big SNOW America Coming to American Dream, New Jersey

clicky

Yup. Back in the news.

Things of interest in the article:
  • 4.5 miles from Manhattan?
  • Local race teams have reached out to use facility for race training?
  • Many instructors from MC plan to work there?
  • March 2019 opening?
You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....

Comments

• this is like when Charlie Brown tries to kick the football

• this is like when Charlie Brown tries to kick the football

How many times have we been down this path?
  • 16 stories is what 160 ft vertical max?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • This is like waiting for Snow Journal 2..?
  • You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • This will be great for someone trying to get their child who is in the 4 or 5 year old range to try skiing. Not too big and in a controlled environment
  • edited July 25
    Serious question.
    Which is a bigger use (waste?) of energy: making snow year-round indoors in NJ or making snow on the outdoor slopes of NE Mtns?

At first the NJ thing seemed like a terrible waste of energy to me. But maybe the ability to properly insulate, protect from rain and sun, and efficiently climate control the facility actually might mean that it takes a lot less energy to maintain these slopes than the slopes of any given 'real' outdoor ski area. I have no idea.
  • What's so ugly about this?image
    Actually this is the good looking end of the complex...
    2013_05_23 E Rutherford Sports Complex (1).JPG
    1024 x 768 - 199K
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:

What's so ugly about this?
    Actually this is the good looking end of the complex...

That rust color doesn't make me think of snow and skiing. Whoever did the original color scheme on that whole complex must have been color blind. I read that they are changing the colors on the building. I haven't seen the building in a while but the few times I have I cringed. It truly is an eyesore and doesn't make me think of "upscale shopping" or "fun".
    I have no interest in ever going near the place.
  • That rust color doesn't make me think of snow and skiing. Whoever did the original color scheme on that whole complex must have been color blind. I read that they are changing the colors on the building. I haven't seen the building in a while but the few times I have I cringed. It truly is an eyesore and doesn't make me think of "upscale shopping" or "fun".
    I have no interest in ever going near the place.

You'd think the rust color would absorb a lot of summer heat.

The name of the company "Big Snow", makes me chuckle. Seems like that's what the investors have been getting over the past decade.
  • Oh.....so we are architectural critics now? I don't give a crap what it looks like....if its 90 degrees out and humid (like this week), and I can go there to get a few turns, bring it on. Purple, pink, orange, brown or rust........whatever.....
  • I'd think no worse than indoor ice rinks there and south of the Mason-Dixon line, energy-wise.
  • Not sure if it matters, but the structure faces south. I guess if they armor it with solar panels some distance off the roof, it would mitigate some of the heat.
  • whoa hold on there. A year or two ago it was $4 Billion, now it's $5 Billion?!? What the heck?

• I'd think no worse than indoor ice rinks there and south of the Mason-Dixon line, energy-wise.

True. And those always seem like a terrible waste to me.

True. And those always seem like a terrible waste to me.
    Hey they could build an ice rink next to it and use the Zamboni shavings for snow!