Unique Lifts

SJ has been pretty quiet so let's try a list:

Types of Ski lifts that exist at between 1 and 5 ski areas in the east (bolded means lift still exists):
List starter:
Aerial Tramway: Jay Peak, VT; Cannon, NH, Mt. Snow (Air Car), VT
Railroad: Mt. Washington (NELSAP), NH; Mt. Uncanoonuc, NH (NELSAP)
Skimobile: 2 at Cranmore, NH; 1 at Homestead, VA

What can you add?

Comments

• The chain lifts and the skis on gondolas at Mount Snow.
  • According to http://www.nelsap.org/vt/burrington.html
    Burrington Hill, VT "operated a 986' Stabil Disc lift invented by Bill Jenkins. This was a homemade lift which resembles a pomalift or platterpull. Only a few others were ever built - 2 at Birdseye, VT; 1 at Underhill, VT; and 1 at Temple Mountain, NH."

It rode like a poma, but the bar went off to the side. There was a haul rope and a supporting rope on side of the poma.

A photo of it can be seen at the referenced web-site.
  • Single Chair: MRG, Stowe....others?

There were 2 at Mt. Tremblant, 1 at Gunstock, 1 at West Mountain which bumps the total to 6. However, unless someone can come up with one more single chair, I'll include it, because the West Mountain Chair was moved from Gunstock.

There were 2 at Mt. Tremblant, 1 at Gunstock, 1 at West Mountain which bumps the total to 6. However, unless someone can come up with one more single chair, I'll include it, because the West Mountain Chair was moved from Gunstock.
    There was also one at Michaud Hill in Maine, two at Thorn Mountain in NH, one at Sunapee, and a unique one at Ascutney.
    - Sam

There was also one at Michaud Hill in Maine, two at Thorn Mountain in NH, one at Sunapee, and a unique one at Ascutney.
    Yep. There was one at Pico too.
  • edited July 23
    Cabriolet Lifts:

Mountain Creek NJ
    Mt. Tremblant ON
  • NJSki said:

Cabriolet Lifts:

Mountain Creek NJ
    Mt. Tremblant ON

Perhaps we need a definition:
    Is a cabriolet a gondola where one stands rather than sits?
  • edited July 23

NJSki said:

Cabriolet Lifts:

Mountain Creek NJ
    Mt. Tremblant ON

Perhaps we need a definition:
    Is a cabriolet a gondola where one stands rather than sits?
    Correct! Usually open air as well.

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-lifts/lift-types/lift-type/cabriolet/

• Chondola: Sunday River, ME
  • Ok its a bit far afield for a NE centered blog, but Sun Valley had a single chair. In fact it was the first chair lift.
  • Stowe cabriolet
  • slatham said:

Ok its a bit far afield for a NE centered blog, but Sun Valley had a single chair. In fact it was the first chair lift.

What was the date on that one. I think Gunstock's (1937) might have been earlier.

Yep. There was one at Pico too.
    The Pico single chair could be unique in its own right.
    Winter T and Summer single chair.

Also, Belleayre had a single.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....

https://www.allsunvalley.com/sun_valley_resort/first_us_chair_lift.php#content

Although I first learned of this in a History Of Skiing book (published in the mid 80's) that I found in our ski condo.....
  • I might be misunderstanding the question/criteria, but here a few nominations:

Le Massif: HSQ chair with mid-station unloading

Sugarbush: Slide Brook connector HSQ chair with no skiing under it

Killington: defunct South Ridge Triple chair with triangular lift line route.

How many t-bars still operating in the East, more than 5?
    Long ones at Mont Sainte Anne and Saddleback (latter is a lost ski area for now)

I guess there are more than 5 rope and/or handle tows still operating in the East?

Are there more than 5 j-bars left in operation?
  • > @JimK said:
    > I might be misunderstanding the question/criteria, but here a few nominations:
    >
    > Le Massif: HSQ chair with mid-station unloading
    >
    > Sugarbush: Slide Brook connector HSQ chair with no skiing under it
    >
    > Killington: defunct South Ridge Triple chair with triangular lift line route.
    >
    > How many t-bars still operating in the East, more than 5?
    > Long ones at Mont Sainte Anne and Saddleback (latter is a lost ski area for now)
    >
    > I guess there are more than 5 rope and/or handle tows still operating in the East?
    >
    > Are there more than 5 j-bars left in operation?

I can think of ten operating t-bars in NYS alone. They’re a mix of Hall and Sneller makes.

IBRAKE
  • Summary #1:

Types of Ski lifts that ever existed at between 1 and 5 ski areas in the east (bolded means lift still exists):

"Chain Drive" Double Chairs: Mt. Snow
    Disc Lift (described earlier), Burrington Hill,VT; Birdseye, VT(2); Underhill, VT; Temple Mountain, NH. (all areas NELSAP)
    Skis-on Gondolas: Mt. Snow, VT(2)
    Cabriolet Lifts: Mountain Creek NJ, Mt. Tremblant ON, Stowe, VT
    Chondola, Sunday River, ME
    HSQ chair with mid-station loading/unloading: Le Massif, QC
    Triangular path for haul rope: Killington, South Ridge

What can you add?
  • edited July 23

> @JimK said:
    > I might be misunderstanding the question/criteria, but here a few nominations:
    > Le Massif: HSQ chair with mid-station unloading
    > Sugarbush: Slide Brook connector HSQ chair with no skiing under it
    > Killington: defunct South Ridge Triple chair with triangular lift line route.
    > How many t-bars still operating in the East, more than 5?
    > Long ones at Mont Sainte Anne and Saddleback (latter is a lost ski area for now)
    > I guess there are more than 5 rope and/or handle tows still operating in the East?
    > Are there more than 5 j-bars left in operation?
    I can think of ten operating t-bars in NYS alone. They’re a mix of Hall and Sneller makes.
    IBRAKE

This thread is about lift types of which there were never more than 5 ever built in the east.
  • I would add the three-man gondolas built by Carlevaro Savio at Wildcat, Sugarbush, and Sugarloaf.
  • I would add the three-man gondolas built by Carlevaro Savio at Wildcat, Sugarbush, and Sugarloaf.

I think Wildcat's was 2 passenger.
  • edited July 23
    Remski said:

Stowe cabriolet

Summary #1:

Types of Ski lifts that ever existed at between 1 and 5 ski areas in the east (bolded means lift still exists):

"Chain Drive" Double Chairs: Mt. Snow
    Disc Lift (described earlier), Burrington Hill,VT; Birdseye, VT(2); Underhill, VT; Temple Mountain, NH. (all areas NELSAP)
    Skis-on Gondolas: Mt. Snow, VT(2)
    Cabriolet Lifts: Mountain Creek NJ, Mt. Tremblant QC, Stowe, VT
    Chondola, Sunday River, ME
    HSQ chair with mid-station loading/unloading: Le Massif, QC
    Triangular path for haul rope: Killington, South Ridge

What can you add?

I am unaware of a Cabriolet lift at Stowe. If it is the Easy-Over lift that is being referred to, that would be a Gondola.
  • There were 6 chain drives at Mount Snow, so you can take that off.
  • jaytrem said:

There were 6 chain drives at Mount Snow, so you can take that off.

The thread is: "Types of Ski lifts that ever existed at between 1 and 5 ski areas in the east." I don't think those chains were ever at any place but Mt. Snow.
  • The first Killington Gondola was three phase (sections) with two mid-stations. I'm aware of no others in the US with more than one mid-station.

What about the double-doubles at Sugarloaf?

Perhaps a topic for another thread, but the three chairlifts that terminate within a 50 yard radius of each other is a pretty unusual lift configuration at Pats Peak.
  • Did I read somewhere that Bluemont had a sideways facing chair?
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • > @joshua_segal said:
    > There were 6 chain drives at Mount Snow, so you can take that off.
    >
    > The thread is: "Types of Ski lifts that ever existed at between 1 and 5 ski areas in the east." I don't think those chains were ever at any place but Mt. Snow.

Ahhh, I see. In that case how many double bubbles were in the east? 3 at Mount Snow, 1 at one of the Crotcheds. I think there were a couple others, but can't recall where they were. Maybe Tremblant.

If we're not counting Canada there will still only be 5 modern bubbles next year. 2 at Okemo. Otherwise I think it would be 7 with one removed.
  • > @joshua_segal said:
    > > @JimK said:
    > > I might be misunderstanding the question/criteria, but here a few nominations:
    > > Le Massif: HSQ chair with mid-station unloading
    > > Sugarbush: Slide Brook connector HSQ chair with no skiing under it
    > > Killington: defunct South Ridge Triple chair with triangular lift line route.
    > > How many t-bars still operating in the East, more than 5?
    > > Long ones at Mont Sainte Anne and Saddleback (latter is a lost ski area for now)
    > > I guess there are more than 5 rope and/or handle tows still operating in the East?
    > > Are there more than 5 j-bars left in operation?
    > I can think of ten operating t-bars in NYS alone. They’re a mix of Hall and Sneller makes.
    > IBRAKE
    >
    > This thread is about lift types of which there were nev
  • Sugarloaf's gondola was a PHB back when they were associated with Constam, just before thier association with Hall. It was not particularly unique among early detachable gondolass.
  • The single chair at Ascutney was very unique, I’ve never seen another like it.

http://newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=102
    - Sam