Lifts that are NOT used for skiing

edited July 25 in NELSAP Forum
Trying to come up with unique lifts for Joshua's thread made me think of a few ski lifts that ARE in use, but NOT for skiing.

1. Roosevelt Island NY-Aerial Tram
2. Knoebels Amusement Park, PA- Triple Chairlift (former Spring Fling)
3. Seaside Heights Boardwalk NJ- Double Chairlift
4. Gatlinberg TN- Aerial Tram

Others?

Comments

• Transfer lifts at ski areas not used for skiing:
    Loon from North area to South Area
    Sugarbush from South to North (Mt. Ellen)
    Stowe from Mt. Mansfield to Spruce Peak

So many amusement parks have them. This will be a long list if you get them all.
  • - triple @ Higlands
    - Snow’s Mountain Double
    - Skyride @ Canobie
    - Sam
  • - triple @ Higlands
    - Snow’s Mountain Double
    - Skyride @ Canobie

Good ones! You've started an entire new category with Snow's Mtn. and the Highlands: Lifts that were once used for skiing that no longer are (without being relocated.)
  • There is one transfer lift at Sunday River, I believe, from Aurora to Jordan?
    Lake Compounce in Conn- quad

• I believe Lake Compounce was closed last year. It is not that old, so I wonder if someone bought it?
  • NJSki said:

I believe Lake Compounce was closed last year. It is not that old, so I wonder if someone bought it?

Yes it closed: http://www.courant.com/community/bristol/hc-bristol-compounce-skyride-0704-20170703-story.html
  • There is one transfer lift at Sunday River, I believe, from Aurora to Jordan?
    Lake Compounce in Conn- quad

Yes, Jordan double at SR.
  • Snows Mountain had skiing for a weekend a couple years back, grey area!
  • newpylong said:

Snows Mountain had skiing for a weekend a couple years back, grey area!

Yes, but not for the past few years, which makes it no longer used for skiing.
    - Sam
  • edited July 26
    It opened last year (Feb 2017, not this past season) and before that numerous times in the banner 2014-2015 season. They plan to keep doing so for passholders as snowfall allows.

So it likely should be on the list because it is not regularly used for skiing but it is not accurate to say no longer used for skiing. Like I said, it's grey.
  • > @lotsoskiing said:
    > I believe Lake Compounce was closed last year. It is not that old, so I wonder if someone bought it?
    >
    > Yes it closed: http://www.courant.com/community/bristol/hc-bristol-compounce-skyride-0704-20170703-story.html

Removed and now in storage at Pats Peak
  • Gatlinburg area has at least three lifts that aren't ski lifts. One is the tram mentioned above, goes to the ski area. There's another one at the ski area that goes up the mountain but it doesn't service any ski trails, it's just a chairlift for tourist rides. And finally there's one in town that goes up a different ridge, chairlift operated I believe by Boyne.

• Palm Springs Aerial Tram up to Mt. San Jacinto State Park (CA). It starts at 2643' and stops at 8516' - 2.5 miles long. It is a worth visiting if you are in the Palm Springs area.

https://www.pstramway.com/
  • edited July 26

Transfer lifts at ski areas not used for skiing:
    Loon from North area to South Area
    Sugarbush from South to North (Mt. Ellen)
    Stowe from Mt. Mansfield to Spruce Peak

I don't agree that the Loon and Sugarbush transfer lifts aren't used for skiing. For example at Loon: If someone is skiing at the main mountain and they want to go ski Ripsaw, they will take the transfer lift then immediately ski Ripsaw. It's the lift that provides them ski access to that slope. It's not that different than an upper mountain lift that gets you to additional terrain.

I do agree on Stowe's transfer lift since you can't really ski from either end of it.

Sunday River's Jordan to Aurora transfer lift is border line. Mostly you'd use it to go between the 2 lift bases. But there is some skiing below it on the Aurora side.

Another suggestion:
    Le Massif has a short gondola from the train station to the base area. I don't believe there is any skiing accessible from it.
  • I think Haystack used to have a lift from the parking lot to the skiing.
  • I agree that the Loon and Sugarbush lifts are used as ski lifts.
    - Sam
  • > @joshua_segal said:
    > I think Haystack used to have a lift from the parking lot to the skiing.

You're probably thinking of the old lower to upper mountain lift. Was located near the lower mountain lodge, at the time the only lodge. Was one of three require lift rides to get ftom the bottom to the top. Pretty sure there was never one thst just served a parking lot.

Air car at mount snow would have qualified though.
  • Gatlinburg area has at least three lifts that aren't ski lifts. One is the tram mentioned above, goes to the ski area. There's another one at the ski area that goes up the mountain but it doesn't service any ski trails, it's just a chairlift for tourist rides. And finally there's one in town that goes up a different ridge, chairlift operated I believe by Boyne.

Didn't that last one burn last year?
  • jaytrem said:

> @joshua_segal said:

> I think Haystack used to have a lift from the parking lot to the skiing.

You're probably thinking of the old lower to upper mountain lift. Was located near the lower mountain lodge, at the time the only lodge. Was one of three require lift rides to get ftom the bottom to the top. Pretty sure there was never one thst just served a parking lot.

Air car at mount snow would have qualified though.

I believe they had one that was a transfer from the top of the lower mountain to the bottom of the upper? Would qualify as transfer as you'd never have skied it, per se.
  • We could add the chairlift at Mt Splashmore in Disneyworld. Did we ever ID the make of that triple?
  • Brandywine had a centre pole double chair that once served ski terrain but later was only used in the summer as the ride up for the lazy river at the former Dover Lake Water Park. Really enjoyed that thing. It was a Sneller make.

IBRAKE
  • Wait!! I have one more: the NY State Fair installed a Städeli double chair last year as a permanent fixture on their midway. It came from a ski area in Maine.
  • Nashoba valley has a lft served tubing area, separate from the ski area, with a Handle Tow.
  • List of 205 lifts used for tourism purposes: https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/liste-13-3.html
    List of 84 lifts used for public transportation: https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/liste-13-2.html
  • Portland Aerial Tramway. If you go further afield, several South American cities have urban gondola networks; the one in La Paz, Bolivia is particularly extensive.
  • Chuckstah said:

Nashoba valley has a lft served tubing area, separate from the ski area, with a Handle Tow.

If we want to go with surface lifts, there are countless used for only tubing.
    - Sam
  • Wait!! I have one more: the NY State Fair installed a Städeli double chair last year as a permanent fixture on their midway. It came from a ski area in Maine.

I'm too lazy to look it up, where & what area in ME?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • conrad said:

List of 205 lifts used for tourism purposes: https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/liste-13-3.html
    List of 84 lifts used for public transportation: https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/liste-13-2.html

Wow Conrad great list & great thread,
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • There are approximately 100 in the United States.
  • > @ski_it said:
    > Wait!! I have one more: the NY State Fair installed a Städeli double chair last year as a permanent fixture on their midway. It came from a ski area in Maine.
    >
    > I'm too lazy to look it up, where & what area in ME?

It was the Bucksaw lift at Sugarloaf.