Best positioned lifts

Maybe we have had this discussion but I couldn't find anything. What are some of best placed lifts to displace skier traffic in the northeast. One of the best moves by a ski resort in my home state has been by bellearye installing the gondola. While They could have gone with a high speed quad or even a six pack, I think this lift alleviated a lot of beginner traffic at the base to disperse them to the upper slopes.

~Rich~
~Rich~

Comments

• The future Green Lift at Magic possibly?
    - Sam
  • edited July 28
    Good topic. I suspect that at Crotched Mtn. and Black Mtn. (NH), the answer is "all of them" since these are two areas at which crowds, except for a few bluebird weekends, are never a problem.

It will be interesting if the old Snowden Quad (Killington), soon to be renamed "the South Ridge Quad", will remain as a low-crowd area the way the old South Ridge used to be.
  • The new Valley House Quad at Sugarbush.
  • I think Cranmore made a big improvement in lift alignment with the new backside chair. They made it serve a larger pod of trails and a wider variety of terrain and made it accessible from lower mountain lifts.
  • ADKskier said:

One of the best moves by a ski resort in my home state has been by bellearye installing the gondola. While They could have gone with a high speed quad or even a six pack, I think this lift alleviated a lot of beginner traffic at the base to disperse them to the upper slopes.

~Rich~

I respectfully disagree. I don't want to send beginner traffic to the upper slopes. There is no suitable route down from the summit for a beginner to take. I also think the novelty of riding the gondola on a cold day will send some advanced skiers down to the beginner area that would have usually stayed on the upper half of the mountain. I think a high speed quad was the way to go.
  • edited July 30
    The Kaatskill Flyer (1,477’ vertical, 5,400’ length) six passenger high speed chair at the main base of Hunter is a crucially placed people-mover for that often busy mountain. I've only skied there once since they installed it. Do they do a good job of fully loading it with six people during peak times?

The HSQ at Wildcat is a great lift serving pretty much the entirety of that fine mountain.

Maybe a valuable subset of this topic is: lifts that serve expert terrain that are not used much by non-experts; e. g. Castlerock at Sugarbush. These kind of lifts that are mostly avoided by all non-advanced skiers/boarders can be gems for crowd avoidance on busy days.
    I can think of a few more out west such Pallavicini at Arapahoe Basin and Deep Temerity at Aspen Highlands.
  • slatham said:

The new Valley House Quad at Sugarbush.

Good call. Gets the crowd out of the base area on busy days, and provides a good backup for Super Bravo in case of a crippling breakdown.
  • I think the spirit of this was a lift that is strategically placed to relieve or compliment other lifts. The examples of main lifts ie Wildcat or Crotched's only summit lift do not apply.

Valley House Quad is a great example imho as it opened up that whole side of the hill without taking Super Bravo.
  • Tuckerbrook at Cannon is one of the best beginner lifts/pods anywhere and one of the best improvements Cannon ever made. It does such a good job of giving beginners their own space and terrain. There is almost no reason for a non-beginner to ski through this area or use this lift. So it avoids the common problem of lower-mountain beginner areas that have more advanced skiers bombing through to get to a lift. The only thing that has upset this situation somewhat is the new Mittersill development that funnels some traffic to the Tuckerbrook chair.
  • There is almost no reason for a non-beginner to ski through this area or use this lift.

Ha! Glad you didn't make this an absolute. After a day on the upper mountain, by 3:00 PM I have a few reasons for skiing in this section ;)

• ~Rich~

I respectfully disagree. I don't want to send beginner traffic to the upper slopes. There is no suitable route down from the summit for a beginner to take. I also think the novelty of riding the gondola on a cold day will send some advanced skiers down to the beginner area that would have usually stayed on the upper half of the mountain. I think a high speed quad was the way to go.

I can see that point, but most of those blues on Upper mountain would be green anywhere else. The second point I never made is it is a true base to summit lift.

~Rich~