The worst of the largest Northeast areas

13»

Comments

It's been 18 years since I've skied Sunday River, but we always enjoyed it - Locke had some old school terrain, snowmaking and grooming was great, interesting glades like Last Tango, some fairly steep runs, lots of high speed cruising. It's now 5 hours away from where I live, so getting back there will be unlikely any time soon. The ski areas near Quebec City are about as far away.
    I am surprised nobody has beaten up Whiteface for its usually unforgiving Conditions.
    ~Rich~
    ADKskier said:

I am surprised nobody has beaten up Whiteface for its usually unforgiving Conditions.

I haven't been to Whiteface since 1973, so I have to ask: In the snowmaking/super-grooming era, is that still the case?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 445
    bobbutts said:

This makes no sense. The K1, Superstar, and spe all have significantly more vertical than Snowdon and Mt. Creek. It's like me saying I don't bother with Pico because Pat's Peak is better than their A lift.

Actually Superstar has pretty much the same vertical as Snowdon, (1173 vs 1114).
    My reasoning for using Snowdon for comparison is that it is the most complete pod (IMO) in Killington, offering trails for all abilities. While K1 and Skye Peak offer more vertical than Snowdon or Mountain Creek, by themselves they are not as good as the other ski areas listed above with vertical drops greater than the 1525 feet offered by Skye Peak Express (basically a connecting lift with a couple of trails) or K1 Gondola (great experts only terrain).
    As to your Pico vs Pat's Peak comment, I am only making these comparisons because a few other posters said that the key to enjoying Killington is sticking to one or two pods all day. While that may work for them, it does not work for me. To each their own. I am not right, and they are not wrong.
  • ADKskier said:

I haven't been to Whiteface since 1973, so I have to ask: In the snowmaking/super-grooming era, is that still the case?
    Pretty much.
    WF is still hyper exposed and windy and it still does not have enough pumping capacity to open all the pods with snowmaking without lots of help from mother nature. I love the place, but it is a bad place for intermediates, too.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 745
    ADKskier said:

The worst thing about Whiteface is that if they find you unconscious on the slopes, they load you onto a truck heading for California.
    jaytrem said:

ADKskier said:

The worst thing about Whiteface is that if they find you unconscious on the slopes, they load you onto a truck heading for California.
    :o LOL
    bobbutts said:

This makes no sense. The K1, Superstar, and spe all have significantly more vertical than Snowdon and Mt. Creek. It's like me saying I don't bother with Pico because Pat's Peak is better than their A lift.

Pico A Slope may be the BEST trail pod of that vertical any where in the eastern USA. At least when there is enough snow to cover everything.

jaytrem said:

ADKskier said:

:o LOL
    +1
    jaytrem said:

ADKskier said:

too soon? lol :D
    ~Rich~