Have we had a BEER thread yet this summer?

Comments

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    I don't know what happened to the above entry. I was just letting Ski it know that Wormtown beer is brewed i Worcestah! Also. the Trappest monks at St. Joseph Abbey in Spencer, near Worcester, have a state-of-the-art brewery now in which they make Spencer Trappist Ale. Thought you might want to add it to your list of New England brewerys People tell me it's pretty good. I think it's for sale only in Massachusetts now, but that may change.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,605
    Bill said "Ski it, Wormtown is brewed in Worstah! And nearby, in Spencer, is a state-of-the-art brewery owned and operated by the Trappist monks of St. Joseph Monastery which brews Spencer Trappist Ale, incase you want to update your map of New England brewery. I'm told it's a little expensive but good. I don't know because I don't drink, quite an admission for a newspaperman of some Irish ancestry."

Yep, I was at Wormtown last week. I didn't realize they had just moved, so I had to fix the map. I've had one of the Spencer Trappist Ales, it's good but I'm sorry to say I'm not a real Belgium Ale. Also the last I heard you can't go to the brewery, so my map generally doesn't include those places. I know a couple like that made it on there. Wishful thinking that they will open to the public someday soon.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • abubobabubob advanced
    ski_it said:

You know there's a Bristol NEW HAMPSTER  in every New England state except for MA. Good thing we know you so well!  Just 25 mins from Franklin Veteran's Memorial Ski Area and only 20 mins from Tenney Mountain  when they reopen.

https://untappd.com/ShackettsBrewingCompany

Joshua, do you like how I linked it back to skiing yet again? :)

I fixed it.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    The beer trucks were running rampant this afternoon

Founders and Blue Moonimageimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 827K
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 749K
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    They're out in forceimageimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • abubobabubob advanced
    Anyone tried Hobbs Brewer in Tamworth NH? They have a nice variety. We tried them all this past Saturday My fav is Something went a Rye IPA.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    abubob said:

Anyone tried Hobbs Brewer in Tamworth NH? They have a nice variety. We tried them all this past Saturday My fav is Something went a Rye IPA.

Sounds good. I haven't had the chance yet. I think it is actually in West Ossipee. It looks pretty busy when I go by after skiing.

I added some of everyone's suggestions to my map for an additional 70 spots. Several are near ski areas and a quite a few in E. NY.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • abubobabubob advanced
    "I think it is actually in West Ossipee."

So it is.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    abubob said:

"I think it is actually in West Ossipee."  So it is.

Very close indeed and besides there were SKI AREAs in both at one time.

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/pagehill.html  Tamworth

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/mtwhit.html West Ossipee

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/ossipee.html Ossipee

BTW

Alchemist Brewery Heady Topper, Lawson's, Spencer, & Hogback Mtn are not open to the public.

And Hogback is close to being open but isn't open yet. :( 

• abubobabubob advanced
    Hogback is close to being opened?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Hogback Mtn BREWERY
  • abubobabubob advanced
    Ah.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,605
    Hey Dr Jeff you were right, the Lawson's (next to the Heady) is outstanding. Side by side comparison tonite in Betsy's neighborhood
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    A lot of work has gone into this stockpile
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Wow! you over achiever! Don't let'em freeze
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    ski_it...if you are still in the hood go to Fiddlehead in Shelburne (I think they may be doing a Second Fiddle release today) and Burlington Beer in Williston. I think Burlington Beer is my favorite local brewery at the moment.
  • mtsnow100mtsnow100 intermediate
    Just like we ski local. Drink local!!!! As a home brewer it kills me to see people not drinking local beer. You support local mountains right? Support the local brewery.... *off my soapbox*  ;))
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Looking right now at the beautiful sunset over the ADKs. Thanks for the tip Betsy. Had some of each in a restaurant. Might make it to those tomorrow <:-P <:-P
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ski_it said:

Hey Dr Jeff you were right, the Lawson's (next to the Heady) is outstanding. Side by side comparison tonite in Betsy's neighborhood

What was the outcome of the heady vs lawsons?
  • ski_itski_it expert

6 out of 9. Actually a few headaches and a slow start the next morning was the real outcome.

It's close but I prefer the Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. Both were in tight supply. Although, the Heady Focal Banger is tasty too.

IMG_2209 (800x800).jpg
    800 x 800 - 460K
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I've been homebrewing for 2 years now and have absorbed a huge support for local beer. I live in Burlington, VT with a stupid amount of breweries near beer. I have stopped drinking Lawson's because almost all of their beer today is made down in CT at Two Roads Brewery. Not to say S.O.S. is a bad beer, it stacks up to many other Imperial IPAs, but I have a passion for supporting in state breweries.

In big beer news: AB InBEV may merge with SABMiller. That would make some anti-trust law bells to go off.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Well if you have invited me over for a home brew I would have come over. :D I hear ya. Most places were up and up and listed it as brewed in CT or CT/VT
  • ski_itski_it expert

Would you drink any of these?

IMG_2191 (800x600).jpg
    800 x 600 - 294K
    guessing that's the Rt 4 location.  Drove past it Sunday, place was a zoo!  

SoRo location is more my speed. When I lived there it was a real seedy gin mill
  • ski_itski_it expert
    SoRo it is! Have you seen the Irene high water mark down on River Road? Those poor people.
    Yep.  FYI little bit of an e coli  outbreak at worthy burger last month.  
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Oh great, so I eat & drink local and now I'm gonna be sick? Or you trying to keep this place for yourself?
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Treehouse Green - a traditional IPA with a slightly modern twist of juicy, hoppy goodness! Proof again that New England is by far and away the center of the IPA universe now!!
    aviary_1444863500641.jpg
    562 x 1000 - 500K
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Indian Pale ale IPA from Saranac.
    ~Rich~
  • mtsnow100mtsnow100 intermediate
    edited October 2015 Posts: 20
    ciscokid said:

What's the best double ipa? 

ciscokid said:

ciscokid said: