Have we had a BEER thread yet this summer?

Comments

• mtsnow100mtsnow100 intermediate
    The one you like.... For instance I am over the big citrus hoppy beers. It's like a plain American Lager to me no, all hops nothing else.... My favorite IPA's are Lost Sailor from Berkshire Brewing , Monkey Fist IPA and Fuggles IPA from Shipyard. If I get in the mood for an American style IPA I tend to go for Stowaway IPA from Baxter or a Finestkind IPA from Smuttynose because they still has a nice malty backbone. I think Heady is way overratted all bit no bark....
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Ubu ale IPA from Adirondack brewing company in Lake Placid is pretty good too.
    ~Rich~
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Can never go wrong with good ole Magic Hat either.
    ~Rich~
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I love Crop's Doubtyme IPA. You can typically only get it in a 22 oz around the Stowe area, including Burlington and the suburbs there. Lawson's Double Sunshine is absolutely amazing, but rarely brewed. Lawsons and Otter Creek just did a great double called Double Dose IPA. Really, really strong and hopped out. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,154
    ski_it said:

Oh great, so I eat & drink local and now I'm gonna be sick? Or you trying to keep this place for yourself?

Linkification for the e coli investigation situation
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,154
    Cisco in your neck of the woods you won't find most of the aforementioned.  Heck some of them are even hard to find in Vermont.   But in Michigan you will definitely find Bell's Two Hearted!  If you have that, don't really need much else
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,806

Rick I feel fine, so I'm not clicking that link!

MTSnow, I've had & liked the Monkeyfist but I'll have to try the rest of those. I wanted to try some Crop's, alas not enough time. Worthy was out of the SOS on the return trip and replaced it with the Double Dose, so I tried & I liked that as well. I find your descriptions are right on.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Here's to silly season, reopening of a western Pa lost area, theUS open at Oakmont, and a better ski season next year!

The beer trucks were running rampant yesterdayimageimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 703K
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited June 2016 Posts: 210
    Hey Cisco...did that bottle fall off of the truck?? ;)) <:-P

This "<:-P" is supposed to be the beer emoji.
  • ski_itski_it expert

OK - new nano in Salisbury, NH near Franklin Memorial Ski Area and not too far from Ragged Mountain. Trying to find out if they do growler fills, etc...

http://www.bigwaterbrewery.net/

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • JimKJimK advanced
    I have very unrefined taste in beers and probably drink more for apres-ski than any other time around home.  Some months ago I bought two cases of beer and I'm still nursing those along.

Hot days:

Cool days:

:)>-
  • Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    I have grown to love stouts. The Maple Oatmeal Stout from 14th Star Brewery, St. Albans Vermont is outstanding
    I'm enjoying that new Long Trail Green Blaze.  Replaced their long standing orange label IPA, which was probably losing market share to the newer, hoppier styles 

I have grown to love stouts. The Maple Oatmeal Stout from 14th Star Brewery, St. Albans Vermont is outstanding

The 14th Star stout is amazing. Very quaffable and good no matter the season. Sours have become a huge topic in Vermont and the whole beer industry. If you see a Gose, try it. Sours are not for everyone, but it brings a very unique flavor to the game.

If you see yourself driving past Exit 2 in Brattleboro, VT on I-91, jump off the highway if Hermit Thrush is open. It's about 5 minutes from the highway and worth the sour explosion you will have.
  • Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    Some sours pair really well with food. I would rather have a well brewed sour than an IPA. I think brewers have gone hops crazy.

Some sours pair really well with food. I would rather have a well brewed sour than an IPA. I think brewers have gone hops crazy.

Why discriminate?  

I start with the sour, follow that with the IPA, finish with the stout.  Repeat as necessary.

:D
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    i don't drink beer....
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced

Why discriminate?  

I start with the sour, follow that with the IPA, finish with the stout.  Repeat as necessary.

:D
    Or even better, using the aforementioned and IMHO VERY GOOD brewing talents of Hermit Thrush in Brattleboro. Their Green Street SIPA is a sour IPA.  I've had 3 of them so far (can #4 of the 4 pack I got in late April is still in my beer fridge) and it's a very good classical tart, sour flavor balancing a moderately resiny IPA backbone.  I will say that as I fan of both IPA's and Sour on their own, that this "hybrid" from Hermit Thrush worked in my book!
    If you can try the Hermit Thrush Jolly Abbott, do it! It's a 12 or 13% ABV sour with a great after taste. I love high ABV beers. I have some Dogfish Fort aging in my cellar: 18% cranberry ale. So good! It is way easier to drink than Dogfish's 120 Minute. 

edited June 2016 Posts: 1,154
    Now see what I would do is use that SIPA as a transition between the initial sour and the follow up IPA, followed by the stout.  So what would happen then is, with those four lined up, I would need to warm up.  So I would kick it off with a Von Trapp helles.  Then, after a palate cleansing hefe, repeat.

You might think I'm making this up, but unfortunately no, it's what I do.

Now see what I would do is use that SIPA as a transition between the initial sour and the follow up IPA, followed by the stout.  So what would happen then is, with those four lined up, I would need to warm up.  So I would kick it off with a Von Trapp helles.  Then, after a palate cleansing hefe, repeat.

You might think I'm making this up, but unfortunately no, it's what I do.

And if you're feeling adventurous, try out the new hoppy lager that Von Trapp has released. It's very good stuff. I'm looking forward to the new Alchemist Brewery opening. It should be some time this summer.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,806
    Ah-h-h, nothing like a few sours after a day at Okemo. (See how I tied it back to skiing?)image
    Hermit Thrush
    IMG_3067.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    I can't drink anything with Gluten in it anymore due to health concerns,  so it's severely limited my choices lately.  I'm LOVING Citizen Ciders Dirty Mayor though.  Yummy hard cider with ginger in it for a nice bite!

I can't drink anything with Gluten in it anymore due to health concerns,  so it's severely limited my choices lately.  I'm LOVING Citizen Ciders Dirty Mayor though.  Yummy hard cider with ginger in it for a nice bite!

Citizen is going to retire Full Nelson (dry-hopped cider) soon and replacing it with Lake Hopper. Lake Hopper came out last week and is so tasty.
    mtsnow123 said:

I'm looking forward to the new Alchemist Brewery opening. It should be some time this summer.

Interesting! Just read their "plan" on their blog, they're not bringing back the pub. Having been in the restaurant business in Vermont I can tell you it's not for everyone. Looks to me like they saw how Shaun Hill practically prints money at his farm over in Endoftheworld so they'll make a killing in Stowe. ;)
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    beer is stupid.....
    JMaul said:

beer is stupid.....

Beer may be stupid to some, but when the beer industry yielded $270 million in 2014 in Vermont alone, it's nothing to ignore. In a state where people have a hard time getting by, the boost that the beer industry provides to us is overwhelming. It is especially helpful during seasons such as these, when suffering from a bad snow season, people are still traveling from out of state to visit breweries, spend money in local restaurants/stores, and stay in local hotels.
    Please pay no attention to Mr. Maul, unless you desperately need some Heady or Double Sunshine or you want to trade for some impossibly rare bourbon barrel aged monstrosity he's been cellaring for a couple years.    Honestly.  He might even have the bicycle that Jeff Lebesch pedaled around Belgium.

If beer is stupid, he's the Dean of Stupid U.   As Class President I can vouch for this.

• ski_itski_it expert
    If you like sours and/or funky things, on your way to Powderhouse Hill Ski Area you may want to swing into Portsmouth to Earth Eagle Brewing. They make the standard stuff, plus host a few others. But they also make some gruits, some of which can be sour. From time to time they have a sour on too. Currently Quadrasaurus. Open 'til 10pm or later.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Yeah, sorry. Just messing with y'all. This was my VT haul back in March.
    20160324_181703.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M