Have we had a BEER thread yet this summer?

1235»

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,687
    Nice catch. JMaul any new breweries down your way besides Artisans, Rinn Duin, Kane or the Pinelands?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    edited June 2016 Posts: 235
    ski_it said:

Nice catch. JMaul any new breweries down your way besides Artisans, Rinn Duin, Kane or the Pinelands?

Stuff is popping up in Jersey, tho nothing real close to me. Backward Flag is down the road and is ok. Have yet to visit Dark City in Asbury Park. Most new places are just at or beyond an hour away.

My go-to Breweries are Kane (25 min) and Carton (40 min) with the occasional visit to Rinn Duin (under 10 min).

My short list to visit includes Cypress, Demented, Conclave, Czig Meister, Man Skirt, Jersey Girl, Magnify. 
    rickbolger has been to some of these.

Cracking a 750 of Goose Island Juliet this evening when the wife and I go out with friends for dinner.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    One time JMaul and another beer lunatic (not me) nearly went in on a pallet at Olde Saratoga.  It was something like 20 cases and they were going to wrap the pallet and put in the back of his pickup truck via forklift.   That would've been an impressive photo, albeit of lesser quality.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Thanks for the pointers. In shore traffic, you might need to add an hour or so to some of those huh. Does Backward Flag's glow in the dark? Same could be asked of some of ours, like Mayflower.. 
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
     I think brewers have gone hops crazy.

Well you've got some rather old company, according to an article in Forbes magazine.  Seems the Archbishop of Cologne tried to outlaw hoppy beer in 1380 and Henry VIII did the same thing 150 years later....imagine if they sampled one of today's IPAs!

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
  • steamboat1steamboat1 advanced
    I hope the new Alchemist brewery doesn't have a negative effect on the Sunset Grille located next door. It's one of my favorite places to eat in Stowe with good food & a laid back atmosphere.
    mtsnow123 said:
    Thanks for the link to the article.

No way I'm waiting in line 40 minutes for any beer, not even Heady, not even if it was free.

Doctor projects I've only got 30 years left on this rock, so I can't afford to cut into my drinking time
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I'm with you Rick. There was no real line here! The F.R. Mt Stout was the crowd favorite. See? The word Mountain ties it back to skiing...image
    IMG_3775.JPG
    2448 x 2448 - 1M
    was that this past weekend?  in Jersey?  
  • ski_itski_it expert

Yep, Saturday and then we went over to Albert Hall for some pickin' & a grinnin' ...and some pie.

well alright, by coincidence I was in your neck of the woods, Saturday's tour was Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge, Aeronaut Brewing in Somerville, and then Night Shift, Everitt I think.    
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,687
    Nice. Are you a hipster? ...I haven't been to Homebrew. We had a CSB share at Night Shift back when they were in their original hole in the wall place. Everett it is.  Now it looks like they got some EB-5 money (notice the ski tie in) or something and have gone almost corporate.
    ski_it said:

Nice. Are you a hipster?

I am hopelessly un-hip.  (for example, I had to look up "hipster")

But for lifetime beer consumption and appreciation, I am often listed among the all-time greats 

;)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Well if you lived near Cambridge, Somerville, Everett or Brooklyn you'd know what a 21st century hipster is. Perhaps Burlington too which I heard is near some ski areas.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    edited July 2016 Posts: 306
    Yeah, plenty of hipsters here in Burlington. A lot of them smell pretty bad. Closest ski area is Bolton Valley at 40-45 minutes, Cochran's really doesn't count, but that is about 20 minutes away.

Stowe, Smuggler's Notch, Sugarbush, Mad River Glen are all about an hour. Jay is 1.5-2 based on road conditions.

The craft beer market is getting so mainstream, that one would think hipsters wouldn't drink anymore.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Let's not forget little Hard'Ack 40 minutes north. Craft beer ain't cheap that's for sure. We may have to switch over to Pabst or Narragansett tall boys
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Well it's that time of the year
    Rick I took your suggestion and chased down this Bells truck and had me some Oberon, good ( and not cheap )stuff
    IMG_1687.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    Great photo!  

My most recent brewtour was a quick one in Portland, Maine, hit Lone Pine, Rising Tide, and Oxbow.  They're all within a half mile of each other in various repurposed industrial buildings, great beer!   Lone Pine goes for the New England IPA style, Oxbow is all about blending stuff, sour beer, etc. and Rising Tide has a soup-to-nuts line up.  So it was a different experience at each.   

I'm headed back that direction soon, got my sights on Bissell Brothers and a couple others.

Lone Pine has awesome flight paddles, made from vintage skis!  Now I now what happened to those Volkls....

lone pine.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 543K

cisco you are giving me pains.  Pains!

You live in Michigan where you can get Bell's Two-Hearted Ale at will, Founder's, and a bunch of other great offerings and you post a photo of a beer now brewed at the Bud plant in NEW JERSEY.

:-??
    Delivered 4600lbs of lactic acid to Founders today
    IMG_1693.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    IMG_1694.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Cisco Brewery on Nantucket...good stuff...Whale's Tail is my favorite

Von Trapp's- making regular rounds in my fridge this year...
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Here's a 2 birds with 1 stone addition to this thread. Immediately across the street from the NELSAP'd Hogback Ski Area along route 9 in Marlboro, VT, the Beer Naked Brewery, which used to be located down in Wilmington, VT a bit over a year ago, reopened in it's new location about a month ago.

I had a couple of crowler's from them, 1 a nice crisp Pale ale and the other a solid farmhouse ale. Add in the previous stouts and IPA's I had from them in the past, and they're doing some good stuff in a new, cool location!

Cisco Brewery on Nantucket...good stuff...Whale's Tail is my favorite

Von Trapp's- making regular rounds in my fridge this year...
    Winter Shredder is my favorite from Cisco  Whales Tail, Indie, Grey Lady also good

Von Trapp stuff out-Germans the Germans, great beer if you like those styles.  I don't seek it out but I'll never turn it down!

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    If you guys like to drink beers, you have to Check out TAP and Hunter Mountain It is New York states largest beer tasting event. One of the largest in the Nation.
    ~Rich~
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    A couple of years ago St. Joseph's Trappist Monastery in Spencer, MA.,built a state-of-the-art brewery and began making ale and beer. I think they have seven different beers nd ales now. They have to meet certain standards and requirements to be able to call it Trappist. I don't drink, so I can't tell you about its taste. It's somewhat more expensive than most beers and ales, I'm told. But I think they've dropped the price a bit. I've talked to people who like it. I wondered whether people here have tasted it and what they thought.