Rent Pico

clicky

$6500 for Pico

$3500 for Plattekill
You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....

Comments

• I wonder what lifts will run at Pico if you rent the mountain?
  • $3,000 for Magic
    It seems to me like they would run all of the lifts at Pico.
    - Sam
  • Plattekill is closed midweek so it makes more sense to "rent" the mountain. Pico may be a designated area or is it the whole place? Not sure about what Magics policy is.
    ~Rich~
  • edited August 17
    ADKskier said:

Plattekill is closed midweek so it makes more sense to "rent" the mountain. Pico may be a designated area or is it the whole place? Not sure about what Magics policy is.

Pico rental is available Tuesdays and Wednesdays because they are not usually open on those days.
    - Sam
  • Thats actually not bad if you get a group of guys together. We should do a Nelsap group and all chip in for Pico.
    ~Rich~
  • This is also being discussed in other circles and other ski forums. Would the SJ crowd be cool with crossing over on a private rental with "outsiders" from other forums? Might help make it a cost-effective reality!
  • Or we could just meet up at Pico on a Thursday, have basically the same empty mountain and not have the aggravation of trying to collect money in order to make the $6500 work. The same is true at Plattekill. Just go on a Friday and pay the cheap day rate and still only share the mountain with a couple hundred other people. Also, if the conditions and weather suck, we can all just not go to the mountain.

The idea sounds cool, but the reality is much different. This is a great corporate event.
  • edited August 17
    I agree with Z. You need to ski when the snow is good. You can't really estimate conditions months in advance. Plus, personally, if I can get away non-holiday midweek, I'd rather ski next door at Killington. It's not crowded there midweek and I find the terrain so much more interesting.
  • edited August 18
    I agree it would be tough to plan and predict weather in advance, obviously. I think its more the draw of just skiing with your buddies and no one else. I am totally down for a meetup this winter. After retiring out of the army and moving home Id love to meet you guys.
    ~Rich~
  • ADKskier said:

I agree it would be tought to plan and predict weather in advance, obviously. I think its more the draw of just skiing with your buddies and no one else. I am totally down for a meetup this winter. After retiring out of the army and moving home Id love to meet you guys.

I'd be game for a meetup at Platty. A bit of a haul for me but with lead time I might make it work
  • > @lotsoskiing said:
    > I agree it would be tought to plan and predict weather in advance, obviously. I think its more the draw of just skiing with your buddies and no one else. I am totally down for a meetup this winter. After retiring out of the army and moving home Id love to meet you guys.
    >
    > I'd be game for a meetup at Platty. A bit of a haul for me but with lead time I might make it work
    +1 well minus the Army bit(not a member) Go Army!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited August 18
    I just hope when they do this they put BIG ASS signs on their web site & access roads (I know Pico really doesn't have an access rd) that they are closed. Not an issue for Platty mid week. I've gone to a couple restaurants that have done this on weekends with zero notice anywhere until you find the door locked with people inside and it really ticked me off. Enough to make me email restaurant, one of which barely apologized 6 weeks later. I will never go back.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • You guys all make a really good point. Good concept but not so great in reality.
  • ski_it said:

I just hope when they do this they put BIG ASS signs on their web site & access roads (I know Pico really doesn't have an access rd) that they are closed. Not an issue for Platty mid week. I've gone to a couple restaurants that have done this on weekends with zero notice anywhere until you find the door locked with people inside and it really ticked me off. Enough to make me email restaurant, one of which barely apologized 6 weeks later. I will never go back.

They only will rent the mountain on days when they wouldn’t normally be open.
    - Sam
  • edited August 19
    Pico closes midweek?
  • ski_it said:

Pico closes midweek?

They are closed Tuesday & Wednesday regularly.
    - Sam
  • ski_it said:

My guess is what he means is that on those closed days when it is actually rented out, that they make it clear on web that it is rented to a private party. This would potentially keep someone from driving by, seeing the place running, and being irked by it (a la the restaurant example).
  • ski_it said:

My guess is what he means is that on those closed days when it is actually rented out, that they make it clear on web that it is rented to a private party. This would potentially keep someone from driving by, seeing the place running, and being irked by it (a la the restaurant example).
    With Killington less than 15 minutes away (by road), I don't really think it will be a problem.
  • SJ ? It's been posted on Alpinezone and Killingtonzone for days, so I'd bet quite a few other places too.
  • SJ ? It's been posted on Alpinezone and Killingtonzone for days, so I'd bet quite a few other places too.
    Didn’t know that
    - Sam