Waterville Valley to host US Alpine Championships in 2019, 2021

Comments

• After the big announcement, the Globe says Super G, Downhill and Alpine Combined will be held at another venue to be determined. That is odd, the site of half of the downhill events not set. Cannon seems to be the likely local location. I do like parallel slalom. The Concord article doesn't mention the "non-events".
    I watched women's and men's World Cup there in the late 80's, early 90's. They were fun.
  • The inference I took from the US Ski and Snowboarding Associations announcement, is that the Downhill, Super G and Super Combined may very well be held at a resort in a different geographic region of the country on a different weekend, while Waterville hosts what amount to the tech events.

We'll see when the official schedule comes out!
  • I remember a World Cup GS held at Waterville in 1969, I think. Serge Lang, Swiss ski writer who was one of the organizers of the World Cup for skiing, was not impressed by the terrain. He said it was the only World Cup race of the year where the finish line was higher than the starting gate.
  • I believe the first in the east World Cup was at Cannon in 1969. The two at Waterville (men, women) were late 80's, as late as '91. Tomba was at the men's. Stratton had one in between plus some pro races.
  • Tom, I believe the first World Cup in the U.S. was at Cannon in 1967. It came here because of a snow problem in Europe. Jean Claude Killy won all three men's events - downhill, giant slalom and slalom. That was before they added Super G. After he won the first two races he was in the press tent and was asked whether he thought he could win the slalom the next day. He smiled, then said, "why not?" And the next day he did, edging out Jimmy Huega by hundredths of a second. I remember that Killy answered our questions in English, Then Mike Strauss repeated the answers, also in English. We had no difficulty hearing Killy. Mike said he thought we might not understand Killy because of his accent. Actually, Killy was easier to understand than was Mike, who had a Bronx accent.
    The reason I'm pretty sure the World Cup G.S. was held at WV in 1969 was that Marilyn Cochran won the overall women's G.S. crown. I remember her coming up the path from the lodge to the finish line after the race in tears because, she said, she didn't win a G.S. She had lots of second places, giving her the highest point total for that year, but no firsts.
    I think I maay be right about those dates because I was working for the Worcester papers in those days and covered both races. However, I'm an old guy and my memory may be cloudy, so I'm willing to be corrected.
  • edited August 20
    We discussed this a couple of years ago in the middle of this thread has some of your answers on dates.
    http://snowjournal.nplas.com/discussion/comment/10381#Comment_10381
    Or you can research it on the FIS database.

https://data.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiing/calendar.html?place_search=waterville+valley&seasoncode_search=all&sector_search=AL&date_search=&gender_search=&category_search=WC&codex_search=&nation_search=&disciplinecode_search=&date_from=begin&search=Search&limit=50

Example: Click on Waterville on the top event in 1969 and it expands. Then click on Waterville again on the 20.03.1969 line and it lists the order of finish.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • I stand corrected. That's cool that WV was able to host a World Cup in 1969 (in addition to 80's n early 90's.
  • edited August 21
    TomWhite said:

After the big announcement, the Globe says Super G, Downhill and Alpine Combined will be held at another venue to be determined. That is odd, the site of half of the downhill events not set. Cannon seems to be the likely local location. I do like parallel slalom. The Concord article doesn't mention the "non-events".
    I watched women's and men's World Cup there in the late 80's, early 90's. They were fun.

Cannon could do a Super G but could not host a Downhill (not enough vert). They would need to do Whiteface or Sugarloaf (where it was most recently held) for a Downhill course. So it wouldn't make sense to do Super G if at Cannon if they couldn't also do a Downhill at the same area. Surprising that Cannon isn't getting the nod for the technical events given that is what the Mittersill "upgrades" were designed around. Kinda seems weird to separate the tech events from the speed events by 4+ hours.
  • edited August 21
    Well Bill was right they had them in 1967 but no doubt the rules have changed. Killy took the Men’s at 1:29. Took a while to find as the place is Franconia not Cannon on the FIS site.

https://data.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiing/calendar.html?place_search=Franconia&seasoncode_search=all&sector_search=AL&date_search=&gender_search=&category_search=WC&codex_search=&nation_search=&disciplinecode_search=&date_from=begin&search=Search&limit=100
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • I wonder if this Killington was one of the other mountains WV beat out. This is really fantastic news for the whole valley, Town square will be busy for a couple extra weeks mid winter.
  • riverc0il said:

TomWhite said:

After the big announcement, the Globe says Super G, Downhill and Alpine Combined will be held at another venue to be determined. That is odd, the site of half of the downhill events not set. Cannon seems to be the likely local location. I do like parallel slalom. The Concord article doesn't mention the "non-events".

Cannon could do a Super G but could not host a Downhill (not enough vert). They would need to do Whiteface or Sugarloaf (where it was most recently held) for a Downhill course. So it wouldn't make sense to do Super G if at Cannon if they couldn't also do a Downhill at the same area. Surprising that Cannon isn't getting the nod for the technical events given that is what the Mittersill "upgrades" were designed around. Kinda seems weird to separate the tech events from the speed events by 4+ hours.
    Waterville is a USSSA Gold certified ski club whereas Cannon/Franconia Ski Club are a USSSA Silver level club at this time. In roughly the last decade or so, only clubs/ski areas that have a Gold level designation have hosted the USSSA Alpine National Championships

The levels of club certification (Gold, Silver and Bronze), and by no means are all ski clubs with competition programs USSSA certified, is based on a host of things from coaching certifications, essentially on demand full time race level training facilities, off snow training facilities and programs, etc, etc, etc.

Currently, across the country, with all USSSA affiliated ski clubs (alpine, nordic and freestyle and snowboard) and ski areas, there are only 23 programs that have achieved Gold level certification status, 6 that have achieved Silver status, and 14 (arguably now 13 since the Hermitage is listed) that have achieved Bronze status
  • edited August 21
    Couldn't figure how to add to previous post, it'll probably appear later a half dozen times ;)
  • My guess is they will hold speed at a venue out west, as they have done in the past. East too limited for sites for DH, and weather a concern- need at least 3 straight days with no wind, rain, snow, fog, heatwave. They did this when WV held WC Finals in early 90's. Speed was elsewhere, SL and GS only at WV.
  • Trying to pull off speed events in late March is a challenge. They have cancelled the speed events many times due to lack of snow/warm temps. To pull off the National speed titles, these events are now done in conjunction with the NorAm speed events held in mid-winter. The upside is, it opens up many more resorts to hosting the tech events for Nationals.
  • Waterville’s website home page has a video link to all the improvements for this season. Some nice stuff going on there.