On East of the Mississippi Skiing in General

I found a copy of the book "Where to Ski and Snowboard 2015: The Definitive Guide to the World's 1000 best Winter Sports Resorts" in a freebie-help yourself spot, so I grabbed it.

The only Eastern Canada Resort included is Tremblant and is described as "Very limited in extent".

The only Eastern US resorts included are Killington and Stowe.

For Killington, it mentions that the area includes "an impressive amount of runs crammed into a small area. It also says "the pass includes Pico - a separate little mountain next door."

For Stowe it starts with "the small slopes of Mt. Mansfield ..."

I guess that puts us easterners in our place - and our mid-Atlantic and midwest folks achieved contempt by omission!

Comments

• Sounds like the author has never set foot east of the Mississippi, unless it was to catch a connecting flight from Denver to Zurich via JFK.
    You overpaid for that book
  • Well compared to the top resorts around the globe, the East is a bit lacking, especially skiable acres (some ski areas have as many skiable miles as Stowe has acres). That said, given they reviewed 1,000 resorts, I would have thought more than just Stowe and Killington would have made the list.
  • slatham said:

Well compared to the top resorts around the globe, the East is a bit lacking, especially skiable acres (some ski areas have as many skiable miles as Stowe has acres). That said, given they reviewed 1,000 resorts, I would have thought more than just Stowe and Killington would have made the list.

I would also think that since the book was a guide to the World's 1000 best Winter Sports RESORTS, that two time Olympic host Lake Placid would have made the list.
  • NJSki said:

slatham said:

Well compared to the top resorts around the globe, the East is a bit lacking, especially skiable acres (some ski areas have as many skiable miles as Stowe has acres). That said, given they reviewed 1,000 resorts, I would have thought more than just Stowe and Killington would have made the list.

I would also think that since the book was a guide to the World's 1000 best Winter Sports RESORTS, that two time Olympic host Lake Placid would have made the list.
    Agreed. Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush would have been that others I would have thought just based on stats.
  • If you read the book reviews you will see the authors are British and their focus is Europe.
  • Have they actually skied the East I wonder? Worth an invitation to come play with us?
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited August 22
    Where to ski and snowboard is a great resource for planning trips to the Alps, but yeah it's generally oriented towards Brits to help them plan their ski trips to various places around the world.

I think a good analogy is how many Americans do you know who travel to Scandinavia to ski? Dang few. There are tons of ski areas there and the better ones have summit elevations of about 4000' with vertical drops of approx. 2000' and plenty of snowmaking - similar to New England, but the only Americans who might go there are people that have relatives there or who are going there for business and do skiing as a side interest. Most Americans getting in an airplane to ski in Europe will go to the better places in the Alps. Just like most Euros flying to ski in American will go to the Rockies.

I have met a few Euros when skiing in New England. Once there was a father and son I met in a lodge near Sugarbush. They came to the area because they were also doing sightseeing in Boston afterwards. I know there are sometimes discounted ski weeks at places like Stowe and Killington where a bunch of British high school kids come over for a week of skiing and lessons in the spring, sort of a ski/foreign exchange type visit.