Black Mountain, NH Almost Lost - Will Operate This Winter

I had received several credible tips this summer that Black Mountain, NH was not going to open for the 2018-2019 season. Apparently, staff was told that the mountain was closing for good for skiing, and that everything would be auctioned off. I know they had struggled this past winter before the heavy snows arrived in March. I chose not to post anything as I was away a lot this summer and had a lot on my plate, and did not have time to investigate, and I didn't want to add any fuel to the rumor mill.

However, just last week Black posted on their Facebook page that they are indeed opening this season on Dec 8. You can read more at

https://facebook.com/SkiRideBlackMt/

Hopefully we dodged a bullet here. Black is one of the most classic New England Ski Areas left, and a favorite of many of us here. If you haven't skied it, put it on your "must ski" this list (and if you have, try to make a trip there to support them).

Jeremy

Comments

• I hadn’t heard anything about it until they posted that. Black is one of my favorite areas and I would hate to see it go.
    - Sam
  • Whew-- that's where I learned to telemark with Eastern Mountain Sports. Will make the trip this winter.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited September 12

I hadn’t heard anything about it until they posted that. Black is one of my favorite areas and I would hate to see it go.

+1
    February 2007

February 23, 2003
    black-mt-feb-07.jpg
    800 x 600 - 684K

• Their Facebook page posted today about maintenance work on the triple the last few days, so looks like it's full steam ahead!
  • NELSAP said:

Their Facebook page posted today about maintenance work on the triple the last few days, so looks like it's full steam ahead!

Phew! this place is a GEM! Planning a family weekend there sometime in Feb. Should be fun!
    D
  • Black is an old school beast. Everything about it is vibe.

Need to get there this season, been a few years.

Thanks for the head's up