Emery Park T-Bars (South Wales, NY) have been removed.

edited October 13 in NELSAP Forum
Sad news. The twin Sneller T-Bars at Emery Park Ski Area in South Wales, NY (south of Buffalo) have been removed. Erie County is replacing the 1968 vintage lifts with a new Magic Carpet style lift. As of this evening the lifts have been removed and grading is well underway for the new carpet. Only the lower building and a few tower footings remain. I stopped by earlier this evening to have a look hoping to catch some last photos before the towers came down, unfortunately I was too late. Here are some photos of the work in progress:
Looking at the top terminals, only the tower footings remain.
Looking down the lift line.
Tower footings remain at the unload.

Here are some pictures from the last few seasons:
Emery Park T-Bar
Emery Park Lift Base
Emery Park Ski Hill Buildings
Emery Park Ski Hill Top
And a pair of videos I took which I think have been shared here before.

I started my oldest skiing here a few years ago and I am planning to get our youngest started this year. As sad as I am to see the lift go my back will really appreciate the new carpet. Anyone who has ever hauled their kid up the t-bar knows how that feels.
Blastoff!
IMG_2867.jpg
1280 x 960 - 232K
IMG_2870.jpg
1280 x 960 - 309K
IMG_2875.jpg
1280 x 960 - 274K

Comments

• Wow! That looks like a great place to learn the sports. Just to bad about the removal of the t-bars.
  • Wish they would've kept one of the T-bars
    - Sam
  • Those t’s sure looked like they needed some TLC. A shame they had to go but 50 years is a long time for a lift to last. Perhaps Sneller parts are increasingly hard to come by?

That being said a Sneller t-bar still remains at Brantling Ski Slopes in Sodus, NY if one wants to ride one.

IBRAKE
  • Hey Bill welcome! And thanks

That last pic w your son between your legs is exactly the way I remember my dad taking me at Snow Bowl Jefferson NJ circa early '60s!

Except he had his long Head standard bear traps
  • Wow, that sucks! I lived next to them for years and never had the wherewithal to go. it was on my bucket list to hit on a trip back.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • I emailed Erie County Parks to see what is going to happen to them-- alas-- they are being sold for scrap. I suggested that they at least auction off the T-bars as there is a market for them.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • That is a shame. Tough to make a porch swing out of a T-bar though.