Sunday River 10/21/2018

First trip report of the season! After skiing today at Sunday River, I have skied at least once for 12 months straight in New England. My criteria for it to count as a day of skiing is that it is on snow and is at least 100' vertical of skiing total.

Sunday River had the T2 open above the Locke Mountain Mid-Station. Coverage was better than I expected, and the only sketchy part was the very bottom near the mid-station. The snow was hard-packed base snow and wasn't the greatest for skiing on, but it wasn't terrible either. Crowds were light, and the only wait was for downloading. It was in the upper 20s and low 30s with a moderate wind, so snowmaking guns were running most of the day across Locke and Barker Mountains. Besides the man-made snow, it also flurried the whole day long.

It was a very fun day, and a great preparation for bigger things to come.

Locke Mountain TripleimageLocke Mountain TripleimageBarker Base AreaimageLocke Mountain TripleimageLocke Mountain TripleimageMid-StationimageThin Cover Near the Mid-StationimageMid-Station Loading in Two DirectionsimageT2imageT2imageT2imageT2imageSunday Punch SnowmakingimageLocke Mountain TripleimageLocke Mountain TripleimageJim's Whim SnowmakingimageT2imageEcstasy SnowmakingimageSunday Punch Snowmakingimage
117_2227.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 500K
117_2229.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 590K
117_2230.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 562K
117_2231.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 519K
117_2232.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 561K
117_2233.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 503K
117_2234.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 533K
117_2235.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 488K
117_2236.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 451K
117_2237.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 449K
117_2238.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 562K
117_2239.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 457K
117_2241.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 471K
117_2242.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 541K
117_2243.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 486K
117_2244.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 501K
117_2245.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 455K
117_2246.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 600K
117_2248.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 431K
117_2241.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 471K
117_2242.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 541K
- Sam

Comments

  • Unbelievable the leaves aren't even peaked or down and your skiing
    Great shots Sam looking forward to meeting you

    Are you in college in Maine this year?

    Kinda weird but I think of you as Conrads little brother but I think you may talk a little more
  • Sam (NES13): You said, "... After skiing today at Sunday River, I have skied at least once for 12 months straight in New England. My criteria for it to count as a day of skiing is that it is on snow and is at least 100' vertical of skiing total."

    Great achievement. Can we assume that July, Aug. and Sep. were on Zamboni tailings?

    As a challenge for you:

    I have a friend at CM who just hit 97 consecutive months in North America. He picks up Aug. and Sep. with a trip to Mt. Hood. July was sometimes on Zamboni tailings, although this year, he got July at Tuckerman.

    A couple of my Killington friends did 22 consecutive months in New England.

    - July on Killington left-overs
    - August at Killington after a freak one-inch-plus hailstorm
    - and September on Zamboni tailings at a nearby ice rink.
  • > @ciscokid said:
    > Unbelievable the leaves aren't even peaked or down and your skiing
    > Great shots Sam looking forward to meeting you
    >
    > Are you in college in Maine this year?
    >
    > Kinda weird but I think of you as Conrads little brother but I think you may talk a little more

    The leaves here peaked about a week ago, but it was weird skiing with some still on the trees.

    I am going to school at UMaine Farmington this year.
    - Sam
  • > @joshua_segal said:
    > Sam (NES13): You said, "... After skiing today at Sunday River, I have skied at least once for 12 months straight in New England. My criteria for it to count as a day of skiing is that it is on snow and is at least 100' vertical of skiing total."
    >
    > Great achievement. Can we assume that July, Aug. and Sep. were on Zamboni tailings?
    >
    > As a challenge for you:
    >
    > I have a friend at CM who just hit 97 consecutive months in North America. He picks up Aug. and Sep. with a trip to Mt. Hood. July was sometimes on Zamboni tailings, although this year, he got July at Tuckerman.
    >
    > A couple of my Killington friends did 22 consecutive months in New England.
    >
    > - July on Killington left-overs
    > - August at Killington after a freak one-inch-plus hailstorm
    > - and September on Zamboni tailings at a nearby ice rink.

    August and September were on Zamboni tailings, but I made it up to Tuckerman in July (I think there's a trip report on here somewhere).

    For now I will keep going, but I have no idea how far I'll make it. My original goal was just the 12 months.
    - Sam
  • hey that's great, congrats on the 12 mos!!!

  • hey that's great, congrats on the 12 mos!!!

    Thanks!
    - Sam
  • Way to get after it! Impressive with the 12 straight months.

    Do you move the ice rink shavings to a hill or do you just look for large mounds in the parking lot and ski it there?
  • I've skied 12 month's as well. 10/1 - 6/5 at Killington and July- September at Timberline Lodge.

    Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

  • edited October 23
    shpride said:

    Way to get after it! Impressive with the 12 straight months.

    Do you move the ice rink shavings to a hill or do you just look for large mounds in the parking lot and ski it there?

    In August I skied at an ice rink in Lawrence. There the pile was at the top of an embankment, so I just shoveled it down the hill. In September I went to the ice rink in Conway, which is not near any embankments. I loaded it in the back of my truck and drove to the embankment above the parking lot of what used to be Grant's Shop & Save.
    - Sam
  • what used to be Grant's Shop & Save.


    Used to be? I was there in August....?

  • what used to be Grant's Shop & Save.


    Used to be? I was there in August....?
    I forget what it is called now, but I stopped in there. It's an independent supermarket now and the guy had just opened it up.
    - Sam
  • Out west I had 129 months 1994 to 2005. In the summer St Mary's glacier, Independence pass, Boreas pass etc,.....Aug 2004, Mt Hood on my 50th birthday.
  • > @NewEnglandSkier13 said:
    > Way to get after it! Impressive with the 12 straight months.
    >
    > Do you move the ice rink shavings to a hill or do you just look for large mounds in the parking lot and ski it there?
    >
    > In August I skied at an ice rink in Lawrence. There the pile was at the top of an embankment, so I just shoveled it down the hill. In September I went to the ice rink in Conway, which is not near any embankments. I loaded it in the back of my truck and drove t the embankment above the parking lot of what used to be Grant's Shop & Save.

    Awesome, for years my family would load up a pickup and make snowmen on Christmas eve. That free snow comes on handy!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.