Narrow/tight lift loading areas

Let's start a new thread on narrow/tight lift loading areas. For instance, the North Ridge at Killington has a tight loading area - if you're coming down Rime and you want to keep going to Snowdown, you have to ski just past the loading area and navigate your way around all the skiers waiting there or coming in from higher trails off Snowdon. There's nothing K can do here due to topography.

What are some other tight loading lifts?

Comments

• NELSAP said:

Let's start a new thread on narrow/tight lift loading areas. For instance, the North Ridge at Killington has a tight loading area - if you're coming down Rime and you want to keep going to Snowdown, you have to ski just past the loading area and navigate your way around all the skiers waiting there or coming in from higher trails off Snowdon. There's nothing K can do here due to topography.

What are some other tight loading lifts?

Not true. If you want to go to Snowden without walking up the hill past the North Ridge, take Great Northern.
  • edited October 26
    It's not exactly the same thing, but because of Lost Valley's base area topography, the drive for Chairlift 2 is built directly over a sizable stream.
    - Sam
  • You can get to Snowdon without walking up the hill by using Great Northern, but if you want to ski to the bottom of Rime, I don't think you can. I think East Fall is your only option if you ski to the bottom of Rime without having to go through the loading area.
  • NELSAP said:

You can get to Snowdon without walking up the hill by using Great Northern, but if you want to ski to the bottom of Rime, I don't think you can. I think East Fall is your only option if you ski to the bottom of Rime without having to go through the loading area.

No. Great Northern forks to the left. Right fork takes you back to the base of Rime.
  • The Bottom of the Cannonball Express comes to mind. Though it's been a while since I've skied there, I'm not sure if one would want to ski by it. If you don't want to go up Cannonball, you can just head around the other side of the fence to get around it.
    The bottom of Canyon at Caberfae Peaks in Mi. Three runs all end right here. It can get a little crowed on a Saturday or Sunday
    Caberfae Base.JPG
    813 x 476 - 55K
  • Can't think of any loading offhand, but when it comes to unloading, Bear Paw in MT is like nothing else I've ever seen. Can't find a pic right now, but there's literally no room to turn with somebody next to you. Ski off straight, stop somehow, back up a couple feet, turn yourself 90 degrees, ski away. Honorable mention to Norquay, they have snowboarders walk down a few feet of stairs, there's not a ton of room up there, but plenty of staging area.
  • Poma #2 at Hickory (when it's running) can be interesting. You take cut-off maybe five-feet wide, that end right next to the terminal, where there was often a line because it's a poma. Very little room to maneuver between the woods and the people. Human slalom at times.
  • Jonni said:

The Bottom of the Cannonball Express comes to mind. Though it's been a while since I've skied there, I'm not sure if one would want to ski by it. If you don't want to go up Cannonball, you can just head around the other side of the fence to get around it.

Totally agree with this one. On a busy day this can be a mess. I don't recall any other lift that turns uphill so fast after getting on it.
  • I think images would do this thread some justice.
    ~Rich~
  • NELSAP said:

You can get to Snowdon without walking up the hill by using Great Northern, but if you want to ski to the bottom of Rime, I don't think you can. I think East Fall is your only option if you ski to the bottom of Rime without having to go through the loading area.

No. Great Northern forks to the left. Right fork takes you back to the base of Rime.
    The above discussion of Killington illustrates both my ignorance of the area and why I don't like skiing there. Too many discussions about how to get anywhere. Now.. Back to the subject of the thread.
  • edited October 29
    Jonni said:

The Bottom of the Cannonball Express comes to mind. Though it's been a while since I've skied there, I'm not sure if one would want to ski by it. If you don't want to go up Cannonball, you can just head around the other side of the fence to get around it.

That is the first lift to come to my mind when I saw the post title.

Smuggs M1 doesn't have enough room thanks to a previous owner wanting to claim a distinction for the installed vert and dropping the elevation down below the base lodge. Horrendous results for a short lived title.

Loading mid-station at SR early season can be a bit tight if it is a busy weekend.

Castlerock at the Bush is a bit tight as well.

In general, I think mid-mountain lifts more than base area lifts probably suffer from the small footprint issue.