August 30, 2018 BMOM 428
Because a Big Project needs a Big Name
Introducing the
2018-19 Super Snow-Tastic
Pond Powered
Magic Wizard X17
Double Capacity
Snowmaking Plan of Attack

The "What": Brace yourselves folks. Seventeen (yes that's right, 17) SMI Super Wizard Tower Snow makers arrived at the mountain in late August. These guns are designed for optimal performance even in marginal weather. With favorable conditions, these guns will be the first to start and the last to stop.

The "When": It's happening NOW! After the guns arrived, work began immediately to create the concrete bases necessary to support the towers. Forms were lent to the mountain by Wyman & Simpson Inc of Richmond, Maine. Currently ALL 17 guns have been positioned in their permanent places along the sides of the Upper & Lower Androscoggin trails. The Super Wizards have been set to maximize their throw capacity. The crew is currently working hard on getting them wired up. The goal is to have them completed by December of this year.

The "Whoa": What does all this mean? More snowmaking at a faster pace. The goal is to have the new guns cover the Upper & Lower Androscoggin from top to bottom. Placing these new guns on the Androscoggin will allow us to mobilize our 13 existing guns more readily. Meaning more snowmaking even earlier.

The Allagash Update: Roughly 280 feet of snowmaking pipe has been placed near the summit of the Allagash. We'll now have the ability to make piles of snow and push it downhill to the Allagash & St John near the opening of the Alley Loop. The prize in mind? To be able to open up the Allagash earlier than ever.

Comments

• This is a game changer for the mountain and the first of a series of upgrades to come concerning snowmaking. Next year, the plan is to enlarge the snowmaking pond and install a booster pump.
    The Angry Beavers have been quietly expanding the glades with the addition of another (4) new glades for 2018-2019, for a total of approximately 30 zones. $25 Fridays/$45 weekend.
    If it's been more than 5 years since you've skied Black Mountain of Maine, it's worth another look.
  • JAM614 said:

This is a game changer for the mountain and the first of a series of upgrades to come concerning snowmaking. Next year, the plan is to enlarge the snowmaking pond and install a booster pump.

The Angry Beavers have been quietly expanding the glades with the addition of another (4) new glades for 2018-2019, for a total of approximately 30 zones. $25 Fridays/$45 weekend.

If it's been more than 5 years since you've skied Black Mountain of Maine, it's worth another look.

If I lived in Maine, I suspect this would be my home mountain and I would join the beavers! Very impressive.
  • edited November 26
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J56E-hydGAQ&feature=youtu.be