Your earliest day 🎿 skiing of the season

edited November 17 in NELSAP Forum
I purchased my liftopia tick for Caberfae for tomorrow making it my very earliest ever for me. They will be at or near FIFTY % OPEN!!

I know we have a few SJers who get to Kmart in October but what's your earliest non Kmart/ SRiver ski day for a new season?

Comments

• edited November 16
    Does So America count? And does the season start on July 1st like the snow season? it does in my world.

• If I recall correctly it was November 9, 1968 at Brodie Mountain, MA
  • No Timberline
  • Lift served running
  • HAVE FUN TOMORROW.
    This is a fun question and can generate some embarrassingly late dates for those of us from less snow-blessed regions. I started the 2013-14 season skiing at Liberty Mtn Resort in PA on November 30, 2013. It is possible that I skied a little earlier than that date when I was a youngster back in the '70s, but I can't remember. That same winter I finished skiing at Wintergreen on April 5, 2014 and I'm pretty sure that was the latest I ever skied in the mid-Atlantic and also probably the first time I skied in six different months in one season in the mid-Atlantic. Around 1976 I skied one mid-late April day at Killington around Easter time after going to a family wedding in MA. More recently I've skied April a few different years in the West.
  • edited November 16
    November 12th 2017 at Mount Snow.
    Skiing on my birthday.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• I went every month, I counted August as the first day of this season.
    - Sam
  • When I skied year round I called October the start of my season as it was the first day on the next seasons snowfall. My earliest day I remember is October 13 at Sunday River. Earliest open ever for them.
  • Thursday October 15, 2009 at Sunday River.

Opening day at Sunday River.

https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/sunday-river-me-–-october-15-09/
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • edited November 16
    Lift served!
    Not Kmart or Sun River
  • ciscokid said:

Lift served!

Not Kmart or Sun River

That's discrimination!!
    Ok, leaving them out drops a number of days from consideration. I do not recall correctly.
    My skier's Almanac runs from 1989 to present and not to reliably before 2008.
    My WAG is it was either Magic or more likely Sugarbush around Turkey Day back in the 80s. My best recorded date is 12/4/2016 at Bretton.
    I'm not in a hurry to hit rocks, stumps, water bars & people. I like a little base to build up & some terrain to spread people out before I head out.
    I'm funny, I don't mind the WROD in the spring as much as at the beginning of the season. Probably because the snow on the trail is generally deeper in the spring.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Ok. Playing Cisco hardball with no K or SR, Halloween day at Mt Snow, and Cannon, once each. Wildcat October 28 for the win in the east. I skied mid October at Abasin a few times in Colorado, but can't remember the dates.
  • If I can't count Sunday River, and has to be lift served, it would be October 28 at Wildcat this year.
    - Sam
  • edited November 17
    Did Wildcat on 10 /27/05 but my earliest ever in N. E. Is 10/01/93 Ok it must have been the 28th then. I though I kept the ticket but couldn’t find it. All I remember was it was deep and not very powdery lower mt. only but I did hike to the top for a run.
    image.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • null
    Ski Mad World
  • Remski said:

Did Wildcat on 10 /27/05 but my earliest ever in N. E. Is 10/01/93

Why is Wildcat listed as opening on the 28th that year?
    - Sam
  • Brodie Mtn., Columbus Day 1968. They blew snow matching Killington's opening day. Good cover on "Gramp's Chair". You could walk to the top faster than you could get through the lift line. It melted out within days.
  • Remski said:

Did Wildcat on 10 /27/05 but my earliest ever in N. E. Is 10/01/93

Why is Wildcat listed as opening on the 28th that year?
    The first day at Wildcat (and the East in 2005) was definitely Oct 28, 2005.

Ski Mad World
  • edited November 17
    ciscokid said:

Lift served!

Not Kmart or Sun River

Here is my list of earliest skiing (not counting September glaciers or Southern Hemisphere days).

Earliest I've skied at each ski area/place, Liftserved and EarnedTurns:

Liftserved:
    Sunday River ME : October 15, 2009
    St-Sauveur QC : October 20, 2015
    Killington VT : October 24, 2018
    Wildcat NH : October 28, 2005
    Loveland CO : October 28, 2007
    Arapahoe Basin : October 29, 2007

Earned turns:
    Whiteface Toll Road NY : October 18, 2010
    Le Massif QC : October 23, 2008
    Jay VT : October 26, 2006
    Timberline WV : October 31, 2012
    Ski Mad World
  • edited November 18
    Earliest for me in New England including Killington would be 10-1-93. Second earliest is Killington 10-2-92.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• What part of killington do we not understand

Sorry for the hardball

I think mad pat our friendly northern neighbor is the undisputed early season diversified early season madman

I think madpat should have a Quebec snowjournal outing
  • I like the fact that Woody and Joshua may have been at Brodie FIFTY years ago together

Boy would I like some of their youthful pics of that era!
  • I skied 12+ runs at Mt ISNE today does that count?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • As far as I know, Oct. 1 is the earliest day of lift serviced skiing in the northeast. That we have two SJers (remski and sugarloaf) who were actually there that day is pretty cool. I think Cannon opened Oct. 1 one year too.

And to ski_it, since this thread was specified as "lift serviced", I suspect Mt. ISNE doesn't count.

And to cisco: Woody said "Nov. 9, 1968". If he meant Oct. 9, 1968, we well might have both been there that night.: It was a weekday. I remembered it as Columbus Day, but Columbus Day was Saturday that year. So it could have been a few days before.

There is a discrepancy though, because Killington shows their opening day as Nov. 9 in 1968.

FWIW: Some Killington stats:
    Earliest: Oct 1: Season: 1997-8; 1993-4; 1992-3
    Latest: June 22: Season: 1996-7 (Close 2nd: June 21: Season 1983-4)
    Most days open: 246: 1983-4
  • Longest season for me in New England is Killington 10-1-93 - 6-5-94.

• Joshua and cisco,

Somewhere I have a clipping from that Brodie opening so I can check the month, day, and year. Will try to dig it out. As cisco points out, that was FIFTY years ago. Maybe my memory circuits have deteriorated a bit since then.

Woody
  • Woody aren't you semi retired of does the "boss" still kick you out that grand old ski patch home each day?

I was thinking most colleges have a Christmas/ NY/ Early January break. You should come join us in NH
  • :D

Still working every day, cisco. I'll follow up with a PM.

Woody