Ski areas bought out and closed to control local market

Stopped by local Pando which was the area that FIRST allowed snowboarding and Jake Burton Carpenter came to snurf at and the first tubing in Michigan. It was bought out by its local competition Cannonsburg and has sat idle for three years.

Ted said Brodie was bought out with similar results.

Boyne bought out Thunder, Walloon Hills( Challenge mtn) and Avalanche ( Boyne City) and if it had its way would have bought Nubs.

What other areas have been bought out by its competitors and now are "lost"?

Comments

• imageimageimage
    IMG_5663.JPG
    640 x 480 - 123K
    IMG_5662.JPG
    640 x 480 - 96K
    IMG_5661.JPG
    640 x 480 - 127K
  • Haystack/The Hermitage Club kind of sort of falls into this category depending on what day of the week lately you look at it
  • Perhaps Snows Mtn. at WV fits this category.
  • edited November 22
    Brodie.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Iirc it was Jimmy who bought Brodie right ?( Ted)
  • ciscokid said:

Iirc it was Jimmy who bought Brodie right ?( Ted)

Yes Jiminy Peak bought Brodie. But Brodie didn’t close right away. Some improvements were made to the snowmaking and if enough season passes were bought a new lift was going to go in. Enough passes were never sold. Some people say that Jiminy bought Brodie just to shut it down. Just my opinion but if that was the plan all along why would Jiminy put money into the snow making or even keep Brodie open for a few years.
  • I meant to say Brodie, my bad.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.