Best SNOW NOVEMBER ever? Coldest in 38 years

edited December 2 in NELSAP Forum
We have wildcat just about 100% open and Magic that 100% tomorrow per Sam a.m.

I vividly remember November 19 91 when I move to the flatlands that we had 40 or more inches of snow but I was not quite the avid skier as I am now.

Does anyone remember a better November ?this is a great start!!

Comments

• Let's not jinx ourselves
    - Sam
  • The start of this season is unprecedented in my memory. If we were rating the season to date, it would be number 1 vis-à-vis the last 10 years - but we're getting ahead of ourselves!
  • Best I have seen in 35 years of residence in NE.
  • edited November 28
    Last time I skied in early November it was at Killington, I believe 12th or 13th of November circa 2006 and even down on Rt 4 it was like mid winter. Returned to Killington Christmas week and people were playing golf. While I'm optimistic, I'm also trying to temper my enthusiasm. But wow, this is some November!!!

• edited November 28
    Yup, top one or 2 Novembers in the past 40 years or so IMO, and with my limited memory! I was talking with a young lady on the lift at Wildcat today about this very topic. She said best ever. I said best in 25 years or so. Then she said she was 24! Both right!
  • In metro Detroit My Holly opened around November 10th 5-6 years ago. But it didn’t last long before the blow torch came in. If the ski areas can have a good December than I would say it is a great November in SE Michigan
  • October wasn't the earliest start, but October through November has been probably the best 'early-prolonged' start. I have 7 days in and they've all been above average for November. With only 2 days left in the month I'm comfortable calling this the best November in my ski career.
  • This November reminds me of 1995 and 2000. Both seasons where long with record snowfall. Sugarloaf is at 125 trails. When I was there in January of 1996, Sugarloaf was 100% opened. I hope December keeps up the pace.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• These are not "November" conditions! Look at the trees behind my cheesy smile!imageimageimage
    P1050472.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 73K
    P1050473.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 54K
    P1050479.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 129K
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Sugarloaf is running the cats to Burnt Mountain this weekend -- unbelievable!

As for Sugarbush, I'm hoping you can hold those conditions through next Friday!!!

• edited November 30
    It must be a management nightmare to staff-up, especially lefties (oops, lefties meant -corrected as per NJSki's comment below), so early in the season.
  • Spinning Gate House and North Lynx this weekend, Rick-- long term looks ok. Small warm up Sunday and Monday but the rest of next week looks cold and good for snowmaking.

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • It must be a management nightmare to staff-up, especially lefties, so early in the season.

Hey, I thought we agreed to keep politics out of here! ;)
  • NJSki said:

It must be a management nightmare to staff-up, especially lefties, so early in the season.

I was stumbling over that as well...are left-handed people particularly critical to starting a ski season??
  • Sugarloaf is at 77" so far this season.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Always been right handed, don't get get me going on right or left wing
  • Skiing Bromley on Saturday. Close to 100% opened. Only the really steep trails are closed.

• NJSki said:

It must be a management nightmare to staff-up, especially lefties, so early in the season.

If there is anybody who hasn't figured out that I meant "Lifties", now you have the official correction!
  • Rain Sunday for at least SVT. Who started this thread to put the jinx on? ;)
  • edited December 1
    Going to be a quick warm-up and back to decent pattern for the foreseeable future.
    ~Rich~
  • I started it and there's bound to be a warmup. ( although short span and moderate)

Heck I know first hand where there's 3-4' base already of manmade and some naturally blessed with 4-5' !

Still think it's the best start for November that I can recall in my almost 60 years
  • ciscokid said:

I started it and there's bound to be a warmup. ( although short span and moderate)

Heck I know first hand where there's 3-4' base already of manmade and some naturally blessed with 4-5' !

Still think it's the best start for November that I can recall in my almost 60 years

Wont be a long duration even at all.....so technically I don't think it counts as a jinx Cisco! looking like high 30's to low 40's and then the cold air will rush back in Monday morning.
    ~Rich~
  • ciscokid said:
    Probably not quite 3 feet from the last storm, but there was a lot of snow when I went today!image
    Sugarloaf.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 528K
    - Sam
  • I skied Wildcat Friday. There was excellent cover on non-snowmaking trails and the one glade I was in. Packed powder everywhere and no wind!!
  • edited December 1
    I'm at Bromley and it's 100% packed powder. The trails are about 75% natural snow. Can't remember snow so soft in early December.

Not crowded either, all lifts are ski on. Partly sunny day and 30F.

• After this spike in temps tonight through Early Early Monday, keep your eyes peeled for a system towards the later part of next week. As of now looks like could impact Maryland, DC, Delaware, Southeastern PA and Southern Jersey area. However I think the way the jet keeps riding up with these frontal systems it may end up towards us...have to see how it plays out. Think Snow!
    ~Rich~
  • sugarloaf said:

I'm at Bromley and it's 100% packed powder. The trails are about 75% natural snow. Can't remember snow so soft in early December.

Not crowded either, all lifts are ski on. Partly sunny day and 30F.

Pics!
    ~Rich~
  • Will post when I get home.

• The clouds at Sugarbush are hovering below Heaven's Gate and the O deck is packed.
    Greg Stump