Best Slopeside Lodging & Nightlife in the NE

edited November 29 in NELSAP Forum
So who do you think has true slopeside lodging with best walkable nightlife in the Northeast.
Mt Tremblant has to be at the top of the list.
Skiing rating is tertiary.
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• Ellicottville NY is a pretty happing town in the winter. Only problem is it’s about a mile or so from Holiday Valley.
  • edited November 29
    That sounds similar to Cranmore. Might be walkable or Uberable. I’m thinking like Jay, Burke, Sugarbush, Hunter, Attitash, etc.. because they have hotels.
    Maybe Killington, Cranmore, Sugarbush, etc...
    Also, Not apres ski but later.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • If skiing rating is tertiary there are some tiny in-town areas that win. For example the Kanc Rec ski hill in Lincoln, NH is surrounded by slope-side condos (even though these aren't the slopes they were built for) and has easy access to the whole town of Lincoln.

• Ya got me there Cannonball. Perhaps not that tertiary but your idea has merit.
  • Not NE but Stayed in 2 condos slopeside at Boyne mtn but would not consider good nightlife. Same at Highlands.

I look forward to staying 3 nights" townside" in N Conway. I stayed in the Comfort inn w wife 9/'07 and enjoyed Horsefeathers and a great town.
    Budget wise Ibrake4tbars, son and I split $218 in the Colonial motel($73 each for 3 nights, how can you beat that?) That leave more $ for our "nightlife " which should consist of eating a night in Fryeburg( to say we ate in Maine) and maybe a few runs at the largest night skiing operation in Maine Pleasant/ Shawnee.

If you are into spending big $ for slopeside and spending big $ for nightlift have at it, as for me and my ski buds cheap beer and lodging.
  • I have a ski atlas circa 1970 that says Magic Mountain was "teh haps" for nightlife at the base village, even had an article portraying the apres adventures of a couple singles!

Not being a "nightlife" person I got nothing else to contribute :p

• Treilly said:

Ellicottville NY is a pretty happing town in the winter. Only problem is it’s about a mile or so from Holiday Valley.

They do bill themselves as a drinking town with a skiing problem. Was just there a few weeks ago--hard in the off season. Couldn't even get a table at the Brewery at 1pm-- it was too packed for movement. Now the bars are destinations for bachelorette parties from Buffalo. They rent a big bus, come down and pub crawl for the night. It's a far cry from sneaking in underage to the Rusty Nail and drinking Whiskey Sours and the lighted dance floor. Heck, even Madigan's has gone upscale-- no way a picture window would've lasted a week back in the day...

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited November 29
    bmwskier said:

Treilly said:

Ellicottville NY is a pretty happing town in the winter. Only problem is it’s about a mile or so from Holiday Valley.

They do bill themselves as a drinking town with a skiing problem. Was just there a few weeks ago--hard in the off season. Couldn't even get a table at the Brewery at 1pm-- it was too packed for movement. Now the bars are destinations for bachelorette parties from Buffalo. They rent a big bus, come down and pub crawl for the night. It's a far cry from sneaking in underage to the Rusty Nail and drinking Whiskey Sours and the lighted dance floor. Heck, even Madigan's has gone upscale-- no way a picture window would've lasted a week back in the day...

When I was there a few years ago we went to the Gin Mill after skiing. The had a live band and wall to wall people
  • There used to be night life in the Mad River Valley 3 decades ago: Gallagher's,
    Mooselips, Blue Tooth- all regularly had live music. Now you can hear crickets chirp on most nights. Yes, the mountains do bring in music for the apres-ski scene in the lodges, but the rest of the area is pretty sleepy, which is not all that bad...unless you are looking to party into the night.
  • I have a ski atlas circa 1970 that says Magic Mountain was "teh haps" for nightlife at the base village, even had an article portraying the apres adventures of a couple singles!

Not being a "nightlife" person I got nothing else to contribute :p

Dostals at Magic in the late 60s was at the level of the Wobbly Barn and Pickle Barrel at Killington. About a decade ago, it was cheap housing for Stratton employees. Don't know what it is now.
  • There used to be night life in the Mad River Valley 3 decades ago: Gallagher's,
    Mooselips, Blue Tooth- all regularly had live music. Now you can hear crickets chirp on most nights. Yes, the mountains do bring in music for the apres-ski scene in the lodges, but the rest of the area is pretty sleepy, which is not all that bad...unless you are looking to party into the night.

I remember that-- when I was at Norwich it was either the Valley or Burlington at Last Chance, the ChickenBone or What Ales You? Now, the Bluetooth is housing and most of the party action is apre' ski or not happening at all.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • The only time I've skied Magic was around 1989 and I stayed several nights at Dostals while visiting Stratton and Mt. Snow on same trip. Dostals was kind of sketchy then too:-)
    I’m having a hard time thinking of any eastern place with more slopeside action than Tremblant (which I know only by reputation). Perhaps Sugarloaf would be number two. All the other big candidates such as Stowe, Whiteface/Placid, Killington access road, Mont Sainte Anne/Quebec City, Cranmore/North Conway, etc. involve a short drive of 10 to 30 minutes. Sugarloaf has a moderate amount of nightlife directly on the slopes, not that I’ve explored much of it the few times I’ve been there. Snowshoe, WV and Seven Springs, PA actually have sizeable base area development immediately adjacent to the slopes with several restaurants, bars, pools, bowling alley, etc., and much lodging accommodations, but this is no more extensive than Sugarloaf. In the case of Snowshoe, all that stuff is quite scenically located at the 4848’ summit.