What's the most epic ski town you've ever been to in the Northeast?

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 887
For me it's gotta be Lake Placid. All the shops, the multitude of restaurants, the Olympics vibe, the frozen lake, Mt Van Hoevenburg, and the imposing Whiteface left a real impression on my then fifteen year-old mind that never left! Killington just couldn't compete in the charm department as I saw it.

But what do I know. I've heard that Manchester and North Conway are great winter towns for skiers but I've never been. What about you all? What are the must-visit ski towns out here?

IBRAKE

Comments

• Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    I am fond of North Conway. Magog is a nice town and is a good base from which to ski Owls Head, Orford and Sutton but it probably doesn't qualify as a pure ski town
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Stowe has a vibe too.  But I would vote North Conway as #1 in the east.
    I'd definitely go with Bethel as #1. It's not as big and sprawling as Conway/North Conway and it has many ski areas nearby.
    - Sam
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I grew up getting into bars in Ellicottville underaged but I have to agree with Ibrake-- Been to Placid once and it screamed "ski town" or "winter haven" so much it hurt. Would love to go back there. Unfortunately, Sugarbush doesn't have too much of one and Stowe is scattered up and down 108 too much for me. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    Lake Placid and Stowe are tops in my book!
  • MissDaEastMissDaEast intermediate
    Lake Placid takes First Place, followed by Stowe, and then North Conway in my book.  A long time ago, I liked Wilmington,VT (I think...it was near Haystack, and they had some great bars that had really good musicians/bands).  Does anyone remember The Fabulous Farquahrs?
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,871
    We recently had a topic on this on the old SJ: http://snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic20780&start=1
    - Sam
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    I do MissDaEast, grew up in the valley, Two Way Street opened for the Farquahrs, North Country Fair, John Morgan owned teh place and did a stage act for happy hour frorm 4-8pm.  One night my buddy and I tried to stop and have a beer at every bar between Wilmington and Mt. Snow, it didn't work.  Next day we went back and counted.  65 bars and nightclubs in 7 miles, those were the days...

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Rumford, Maine

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

edited May 2015 Posts: 56

We recently had a topic on this on the old SJ: http://snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic20780&start=1

Another instance of me showing my age...I completely forgot about this thread, and that I had mentioned The Fabulous Farquhar and Oliver Swafford, who sang "Jean."  I never saw Rick Bolger's reply...I'm going to have to catch one of those tipsy renditions of the song one of these days!
  • catamount82catamount82 novice
    Lake Placid hands down! Nice Main Street with a cinema, good eats and grog. Pedestrian friendly; a true town!

Lake Placid hands down! Nice Main Street with a cinema, good eats and grog. Pedestrian friendly; a true town!

I wonder what the restaurant and bar scene is like in Lake Placid these days.

IBRAKE
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I spent some time in Jackson with Eastern Mountain Sports and it was a pretty cool village/town. Black Mountain is right up the road as well. 

Would Killington count? It's kind of a created town. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

I spent some time in Jackson with Eastern Mountain Sports and it was a pretty cool village/town. Black Mountain is right up the road as well. 

I'd agree with Jackson for sure, but personally I don't see the "created" towns as real ski towns.
    - Sam

bmwskier said:

I'd agree with Jackson for sure, but personally I don't see the "created" towns as real ski towns.
    Gotta agree with NewEnglandSkier13. The created towns, like Killington, just aren't the same. I'm sure the Wobbly Barn is a good time on a banging Saturday night but the access road up to Killington just doesn't have the charm or the vibe of a long-established winter sports mecca like Lake Placid, Aspen, or Zermatt.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    sugarloaf said:

Rumford, Maine

Really? I'd go with Farmington before Rumford. Less smelly
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,605

bmwskier said:

Gotta agree with NewEnglandSkier13. The created towns, like Killington, just aren't the same. I'm sure the Wobbly Barn is a good time on a banging Saturday night but the access road up to Killington just doesn't have the charm or the vibe of a long-established winter sports mecca like Lake Placid, Aspen, or Zermatt.
    But weren't Lake Placid, Zermatt, North Conway & to some degree Aspen created for winter sports? At the very least they owe their current size & shape to winter sports.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Lake Placid, tho it's been a while since I've been in town.
    Never been to N Conway, so cannot compare.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    ski_it said:

bmwskier said:

But weren't Lake Placid, Zermatt, North Conway & to some degree Aspen created for winter sports? At the very least they owe their current size & shape to winter sports.
    Yes, but (at least North Conway) was established as reort towns for year round recreation in the early 20th Century while towns such as Killington evolved solely because of a singular ski resort.
    - Sam
    I say the same thing about Killington as I do about Los Angeles..there is no "There" there.
    ski_it said:

sugarloaf said:

Rumford, Maine

I was being facetious, Rumford, Maine has to be the worst town in NE with a ski area.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

sugarloaf said:

ski_it said:

sugarloaf said:

Rumford, Maine

I was being facetious, Rumford, Maine has to be the worst town in NE with a ski area.
    I wouldn't call it the worst; it seems to be time for a new topic!
    - Sam

sugarloaf said:

ski_it said:

sugarloaf said:

Rumford, Maine

High crime / Drug problems

Noxious smoke/steam/odor

Rundown parts of town

not exactly the ideal ski town.

sugarloaf said:

sugarloaf said:

ski_it said:

sugarloaf said:

Rumford, Maine

Noxious smoke/steam/odor

Rundown parts of town

In Maine it may be one of them, it's definitely up there with Auburn, but it isn't as bad as suburban areas near Boston.
    - Sam

sugarloaf said:

sugarloaf said:

ski_it said:

sugarloaf said:

Rumford, Maine

Noxious smoke/steam/odor

Rundown parts of town

In Maine it may be one of them, it's definitely up there with Auburn, but it isn't as bad as suburban areas near Boston.
    I suppose, Rumford is the worst ski town I've been to.

• oldsnowboardermeoldsnowboarderme intermediate
    How about Camden, Maine?

• pagamonypagamony advanced
    haven't been many places but North Conway was very chill, met a lot of good people there.  and what 4 lift areas and mt washington nearby ?  hard to beat that.  
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,671

pagamony said:

haven't been many places but North Conway was very chill, met a lot of good people there.  and what 4 lift areas and mt washington nearby ?  hard to beat that.  

5 (not 4): Attitash, Wildcat, Black, Cranmore and King Pine. [and some might add Sunday River].

pagamony said:

5 (not 4): Attitash, Wildcat, Black, Cranmore and King Pine. [and some might add Sunday River].
    I'd also add Shawnee, Bretton Woods, and Loon because they are just a short drive away.
    - Sam
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate

pagamony said:

I'd also add Shawnee, Bretton Woods, and Loon because they are just a short drive away.
    +1