What's the most epic ski town you've ever been to in the Northeast?

2»

Comments

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    The only issue I have with North Conway is that a lot of it is so spread out. The downtown area is great but then there's stuff scattered hither and yon up the road. Spent some time in the downtown and that was great but still had to get up and drive a bit for some other things. I know this seems like nitpicking but once I'm "somewhere" i like to walk or be able to stagger to my domicile. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

The only issue I have with North Conway is that a lot of it is so spread out. The downtown area is great but then there's stuff scattered hither and yon up the road. Spent some time in the downtown and that was great but still had to get up and drive a bit for some other things. I know this seems like nitpicking but once I'm "somewhere" i like to walk or be able to stagger to my domicile. 

That's why I see places like Bethel as a better ski town because it has a more condensed town center.
    - Sam
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    edited May 2015 Posts: 133
    nevermind.  I am changing this post.  If you read the previous one sorry bud !

I am sticking with 4 ski areas near North Conway.  The others are all nearer to somewhere else.  If I am driving up there and renting a place, no way am I driving any further.  Cranmore is for half days and nights, Black is for old school, Wildcat is the big windy mountain, and Attitash is the big resort.  No reason to drive further.  
  • BrklynskierBrklynskier novice
    edited May 2015 Posts: 12
    +1 on Lake Placid. 
    It's quite the thrill to be ice skating on the outdoor speed skating oval after a day of skiing. 
  • bodhimaxbodhimax novice
    Manchester does not really have the feel of a ski town, but it has a lot of restaurants and shopping and a few ski areas nearby.  I would not describe it as an "epic" ski town, but I would describe it as one of the nicer towns near ski areas in the northeastern U.S.  
    bodhimax said:

Manchester does not really have the feel of a ski town, but it has a lot of restaurants and shopping and a few ski areas nearby.  I would not describe it as an "epic" ski town, but I would describe it as one of the nicer towns near ski areas in the northeastern U.S.  

Hmm. I've heard that Manchester is rather quaint. Is it more your classic New England town with the restaurants and inns?
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

While 7 towns have been mentioned, the order as per the 11 who actually named one or more places is:
    - Lake Placid
    - Conway
    - Stowe

FYI: I combined Jackson, Conway and North Conway into a single town.

I think one of the strongest arguments to include Killington on the list is the availability of public transportation by which one can party with worrying about finding a designatre driver.

How far apart are Jackson, Conway, and North Conway? Close enough they could be considered as one or is that the best way to consider that part of New Hampshire?
    I wouldn't consider the city of Manchester a ski town at all. It definitely has feels like the city it is and there are definitely bad parts of town.
    - Sam
    What about Ludlow? Or is it more a small city that just happens to have a major ski resort within its limits?

What about Ludlow? Or is it more a small city that just happens to have a major ski resort within its limits?

I'd classify it as a city that happens to have skiing near it.
    - Sam

I'd classify it as a city that happens to have skiing near it.
    Oh, the charm of it.....!
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Were some of you talking about Manchester, NH?
    I was thinking Manchester, VT. Didn't even think about the OTHER Manchester over in NH!
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    I've only been to Lake Placid in the summer and it had a crazy ski vibe even in summer!!!   Awesome!   

North Conway - EEEEEEK!!!!   Shopping hell!!!!    

I was thinking Manchester, VT. Didn't even think about the OTHER Manchester over in NH!

Oh, I thought you meant Manchester, NH! I can't say I've ever been to Manchester, VT. :D
    - Sam

Oh, I thought you meant Manchester, NH! I can't say I've ever been to Manchester, VT. :D
    Ha! Not exactly!
    I was talking about Manchester, VT.  Also, not sure I would call Ludlow a city.  I would describe it as a town that is smaller than Manchester VT and has less restaurants and shops (but the ski area is a little closer).
    What are the restaurants and shops like in Manchester? The ski resorts close by it: Magic, Bromley, and Stratton?

What are the restaurants and shops like in Manchester? The ski resorts close by it: Magic, Bromley, and Stratton?

Yes, Magic, Bromley and Stratton are all within a 20 minute drive or so.  Wide variety of restaurants - Sushi, Mexican food, pizza (including a Turkish pizza place), burgers, etc.  Shopping is mainly outlet stores, with a mix of other shops, including a large, old-school bookstore.
    A Turkish pizza place and a large, old-school bookstore???? I'm in!!!
  • HarveyHarvey novice
    Not sure what epic means in this context. I am fan of North Creek NY.  I don't really have a need for nightlife beyond hanging out with friends.  It's a mountain town that feels real to me.
  • xlr8rxlr8r intermediate
    Lincoln/N. Woodstock is another good ski town in NH.  Not a place for late night entertainment, but one of the few places with a major ski area just across the street practically.