Installing and/or removing the haul rope from a floating bullwheel Poma double chair

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how this is done without some sort of contraption built at the summit to support the bullwheel during the process. Anyone here have experience with this or seen it done - or, better yet, have pics they can post?

IBRAKE

Comments

• Don't they just attach the new cable to the old and use the old to pull the new into place?
  • teighs said:

Don't they just attach the new cable to the old and use the old to pull the new into place?

That makes it sound so easy...
    - Sam
  • teighs said:

Don't they just attach the new cable to the old and use the old to pull the new into place?

It's got to be more involved than that as chairs have to be removed, the old cable de tensioned before severing, the floating bullwheel secured somehow, and the new cable strung through both bullwheels and sheave assemblies, and finally spliced before tensioning.
  • With the two compression sheaves I've always seen just forward of the floating bull, I think they can drop tension enough to pull one cable with another. If they have to remove the rope entirely, I'd imagine a big ol' come-along would be required to pull the bull wheel and tensioning weight up and towards the last tower.