Best Ski Shops

edited September 2015 in NELSAP Forum
What ski shop do you think is the best?

In my opinion Paul's in Salisbury is the best around. They always have exactly what I need, the staff is very knowledgable, and they have good prices.
- Sam

Comments

• Syracuse had a fantastic ski shop in Dewitt called Dewitt Sports, plus two others: Lunds and Liverpool Sports.

All are no more. :((
  • Summit Ski in Framingham.  It's the only place I will go.
  • I haven't had a ton of experience with them, but want to give a shout-out to Plaines in Pittsfield. After picking up a 
    Salomon AT binding last year (not from a shop) I called around to shops that sold Salomon binders. After a ton of brief "no we don't have the jig" calls in the greater Western MA/Hudson Valley area, it was Plaines that finally said "sure, we just have to order the jig for you... no extra charge." It took two days for them to get the jig and I had them mounted the next day. Very much appreciated! 
    :)>-
  • There is at least one SJer who works for Proctors in Nashua.  I've had good luck there.
  • I've have nothing but positive expierences at Steiner's Sports. They have Masterfit boot fitters on staff. There's thrree locations Hudson, Valatie and Glenmont. Great personal service. http://steinersskibike.com/

"I need a powder day"
  • I will second Summit Ski in Framingham
  • edited September 2015
    For alpine equip. I highly recommend Ken Jones in Manchester NH right off I-293 Exit1. Big selection and very knowledgeable staff and top of the line clothing to boot. Pun intended.
    For Telemark and Alpine Touring I recommend none other than Telemarkdown.com in New Boston NH. Lowest prices and free demos at many telefest. Check their websites for other info!
  • We've always had good luck with Buchika's in Salem, NH Nobody in our family has any unusual requirements or is hard to fit, we just seem to get good equipment recommendations from them and good package prices. When my son was younger, they always had a good lease deal or would offer some trade in on equipment bought there.
  • Strand's, started years ago by Strand Mikkelson, a Norwegian ski jumper who opened his first shop in Greenfield and later moved to Worcester, has been, and still is, a favorite in Central Massachusetts, Strand's sons, Leif and Roy, have run the place for years. Strand's is an acquired taste. It is no boutique - not even close. But Leif and Roy know their stuff, and their skis, and have taken care of lots of skiers for a long time. 
  • We've been using Ski & Snowboard Express in Richmond (VT) the past few seasons for ski leases for the kids. GREAT people. Super nice, super knowledgeable.
  • Bill29 said:

Strand's, started years ago by Strand Mikkelson, a Norwegian ski jumper who opened his first shop in Greenfield and later moved to Worcester, has been, and still is, a favorite in Central Massachusetts, Strand's sons, Leif and Roy, have run the place for years. Strand's is an acquired taste. It is no boutique - not even close. But Leif and Roy know their stuff, and their skis, and have taken care of lots of skiers for a long time. 

For a great bootfitting, go on a midweek day when it's not a zoo.  The Leif and Roy experience is priceless.